PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Hotwire to book a hotel?

laprana
03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
My DBF and I will be traveling to Nebraska in a couple of weeks for a wedding and I'm going to book a hotel room for that weekend pretty soon. I looked on the Hotwire web site and they have some great prices, but I'm a little nervous about using them. Has anyone booked a hotel room through Hotwire before? What was your experience, good or bad? I'm a compulsive planner and it makes me nervous to use Hotwire because you don't know what hotel you'll be staying at until after you reserve and pay for the room. I'm concerned that the low prices they offer might be too good to be true and we'll end up in a hole in the wall. Can anyone offer any help or advice? Thanks in advance!!

drhama
03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I used hotwire for the first time last October. It was great. The hotel was beautiful. When we checked in, we got upgraded to a junior suite. I think I paid under $60 per night for a 4 star hotel and the upgrade to boot.
I too am a planner. Thought it would be a problem for me but, it was fine. If you check between several different booking sites, you can get a good idea from the descriptions and locations, about the hotels that you will likely get.
I would do use hotwire again without hesitation.
Good luck.

Dad of 2 1/2
03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I have read that you can often win a bid on Priceline at about 15% below Hotwire. It is worth a try. It worked for me on about four previous purchases. We have stayed in many nice hotels fpr a fraction of the list price in Toronto, Washington DC, Raleigh NC and Columbus OH.

Just look carefully at the areas that you are bidding on and make sure you do not plan to change your travel plans.

laprana
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Excellent advice, thanks! :thumbsup: I think we'll go ahead and try it, or look at Priceline to see what they have. I figure it's just for a couple nights, so if the hotel isn't that great, we won't be there for that long, anyway!