PDA

View Full Version : Your first Disneyland Memories

NotaGeek
03-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I found a similar thread in the WDW section and thought, I bet our Disneyland folks have some cool memories of their first visits back in the day (or in the not-so-distant past for the newer DLR fans). I love reminiscing about the early days of The Happiest Place on Earth!

NotaGeek
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
My earliest memory of Disneyland is driving in my grandparent's RV ALL the way from Roswell, NM sometime in the late 1970's. Ugh. I still hate road trips ... we stopped in Phoenix for a few days to visit my aunt and I just remember being ready to GO! We got to Disneyland and my dad's cousin worked there ... so I remember getting in on some sort of family pass and having some comp tickets, but I was honestly to in awe to remember the details. I was probably in 3rd grade or so ... I still have a stuffed Dumbo that I got on that trip, it's one of my prized possessions.

I remember riding the Skyway very distinctly, and I don't' know if I was scared, but I know I was glad it was over. The Haunted Mansion was awesome, and is still a favorite ... my other favorite things were Country Bear's Jamboree and Peter Pan's Flight.

I remember eating at Tomorrowland Terrace and the hamburgers had mayo on them. :ack:

The strongest memory was wanting a Mickey Head balloon and my dad wouldn't get me one! "Now what are we gonna do with it in the car?" Ugh, dads. I still remind him of that every time he spoils my nephew...

Melanie
03-17-2009, 02:48 AM
My first trip wasn't until 2003, so everything was as it is now. Both parks, all the hotels, etc. I just remember how completely elated I was walking down Main Street that first time. I'd been going to WDW for years, and never, ever, EVER thought I'd get to Disneyland. My favorite memory from that trip was an incredible meal at Goofy's Kitchen. It was at the end of the lunch session, and we had THE best character interaction.

Kennywife
03-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I went to DL with my hubby last fall for Halloweentime at the resort. Stayed at Candy Cane and enjoyed the city. We went to Gardenwalk, Universal Hollywood, and ate at restaurants like Goofy's Kitchen. :cloud9: A funny memory I have is at Goofy's Kitchen when all the characters were coming around for people to snap pics and when I got a chance to see Goofy (my fave there), he ran away! LOL. :sob:

Anna

DisneyLandMomma
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
We lived local and went often so alot of my memories lump together. My most vivid memories are of our huge family day trips. My mom has 8 siblings and my great grandma used to pay for all of us to go to Disneyland once a year. At the time only my parents and one other sister were married and there was only 8 grandkids(as opposed to the 26 we have now LOL). Everyone would spend the night at our house, as we were the closest, and head to Denny's for breakfast before hitting the park. We would park where now sits California Adventure and walk to the main gates. This was back when we had to use tickets for the rides...LOL We stayed together for the most part but sometime during the day the younger aunts and uncles would take off on their own, my parents, an aunt(or two) and an uncle would head off to the Disneyland Hotel for a beer. LOL Us little kids would stay with my grandma and older aunts going on rides. We would always stay until closing and then head home exhausted. I remember we always walked to the car because the line for the tram was too long and OMGosh...that was a LONG walk after a day in the parks.

FRANKTASMIC
03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
One of my first memories of Disneyland was when I worked for Thrifty Drug Stores and they had a contest with Kodak and Disneyland centered around Fantasmic and the release of Fantasia to video. It was a merchandising contest in the stores and if your store was one of the top 20 out of 660 stores, you would win tickets to Disneyland for the entire staff of your store. :mickey: Well my display was one of the ones choosen. :party: The store was located up by Sacramento, so about 15 of us carpooled down, and stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. We had one day in the park but we made the most of it. This was the first year of Fantasmic and I remember watching both shows from the rivers edge. That image will never fade even though it's over 20 years ago. Nothing better then free tickets to Disneyland:thumbsup:

NotaGeek
03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
One of my first memories of Disneyland was when I worked for Thrifty Drug Stores and they had a contest with Kodak and Disneyland centered around Fantasmic and the release of Fantasia to video. It was a merchandising contest in the stores and if your store was one of the top 20 out of 660 stores, you would win tickets to Disneyland for the entire staff of your store. :mickey: Well my display was one of the ones choosen. :party: The store was located up by Sacramento, so about 15 of us carpooled down, and stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. We had one day in the park but we made the most of it. This was the first year of Fantasmic and I remember watching both shows from the rivers edge. That image will never fade even though it's over 20 years ago. Nothing better then free tickets to Disneyland:thumbsup:

:welcome: to INTERCOT! Thanks for the cool Fantasmic! memory ... I was there that summer too, it's amazing that the show is still so great.

kandokat
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
My first memory of Disneyland was when I was around 5 or 6 and riding Thunder Mountain Railroad. My family made me go on it in the dark, so I had no idea what was going to happen.

Goofy81
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Has to be going to Disneyland every Christmas Eve since I was a little kid in the early 80's... my aunt.uncle live a few hours from LA and we went there every year for Christmas, so my parents would wak eme up early Xmas Eve day, drive down at park opening, stay all day and drive back that night. One time they surprised me when I didn't know we were going and I was sooo excited... I just remember thinking getting to do Haunted Mansion and Christmas all at the same time was the best. The tree lighting was awesome. I so miss the marquee sign though, that was my sign we were there! Now that I'm spoiled and live 1/2 hour away I have to make new memories :-)

dixielandings
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
My first visit was in 1986 (first Disney Park visit ever). I was 16. Long story - I'll spare you the whole thing, but it had to do with IASW and the fact that when I was 4, I got the full LP of the attraction soundtrack, narration, etc. I was too young at the time to understand that DL was a real place - I just liked the music and the pictures. I had forgotten all about it by the time I went there for the first time. We were headed to Matterhorn when I looked over and saw - my record cover. The beautiful, gleaming blue and white building.

We got in line and as I was listening to the clock tick, I said to my companions, I'm probably going to cry on this ride - just want you to know I'm OK!

Amazing memory. It was the closest to jumping into the pages of a childhood storybook I'll ever get!

Lacy
03-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Great pictures Michael!! Thanks for sharing.

Franktasmic, very cool story and I can't believe that Fantasmic! is 20 years old. It is my absolute favorite!

My first trip to Disneyland was when I was around 9 or 10. There are 3 things that I still remember vividly......being amazed by the monorail, taking pictures of everything on a pink Mickey camera that my parents bought me, and my sister (not me :confused:) winning a pin when we entered the park. The other thing that strikes me from my early trips and when I visit now is how much nicer the surrounding area has gotten. I remember walking through the parking lot to a really run down hotel where we stayed. The Magic Lamp hotel or something like that, I'm sure it is gone now.

DD674
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
1st memory of Disneyland - 9 years old

Main St - ride the fire engine

Adventure Land - river cruise & ditching younger sister on Tom Sawyer Island.

Frontier Land - Slewfoot Sue & Pecos Bill show at Horseshoe, Getting blue calvary hat.

Fantasy Land - Riding teacups & Atopia (lost hat while driving).

Tomorrow Land - Flight to the Moon & Monsanto Home of the Future.

The year was 1956.

NotaGeek
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
1st memory of Disneyland - 9 years old

Main St - ride the fire engine

Adventure Land - river cruise & ditching younger sister on Tom Sawyer Island.

Frontier Land - Slewfoot Sue & Pecos Bill show at Horseshoe, Getting blue calvary hat.

Fantasy Land - Riding teacups & Atopia (lost hat while driving).

Tomorrow Land - Flight to the Moon & Monsanto Home of the Future.

The year was 1956.
:welcome: to INTERCOT ... and thanks for posting! :mickey:

tinkwest
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't remember my first trip to Disneyland in 1955 because I wasn't born yet. But my Mom definitely remembers it.

My first memories of Disneyland are all mixed together because, living in southern California, I went quite often. Once I reached the age of 10 I even got to go with my Sunday School class several times a year if I memorized a certain number of Bible verses.

I remember that Peter Pan's Flight was almost always my first ride as a kid as it was one step above any other dark rides. I never rode the Main Street Vehicles back then because that was a waste of a ticket in my opinion.

Frontierland was probably my favorite with the Pack Mules, Covered Wagons, the Mine Train, and Indian Village. Once the Matterhorn opened I always saved an E ticket for that ride! Rocket to the Moon was fun in Tomorrowland and, later, Adventure thru Inner Space (you could go on that without a ticket!) and the Carousel of Progress.

I remember riding the Monorail and when passengers would get off at the Disneyland Hotel station I would think they were really lucky and must be rich to be able to stay there. I never dreamed some day I would stay there myself!

pinktweety
04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I have been going to DL since I was 8mos old. Now I can't remember this personally but my mom always reminds me how her and my dad were riding the rocket rods back in '72 and they thought they lost me when in fact I was under the front of the ride. Obviously this was before restraints were mandatory. They were having so much fun they totally let me go. I guess that must have been a rush and I have been loving the magic ever since.:blush:

NotaGeek
04-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I have been going to DL since I was 8mos old. Now I can't remember this personally but my mom always reminds me how her and my dad were riding the rocket rods back in '72 and they thought they lost me when in fact I was under the front of the ride. Obviously this was before restraints were mandatory. They were having so much fun they totally let me go. I guess that must have been a rush and I have been loving the magic ever since.:blush:
Are you sure about the attraction? Rocket Rods opened in 1998 ...

pinktweety
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks NotaGeek but it wasn't called rocket rods back then they were just the rocket ride. I don't remember the name but they were the rockets that spin you around just like Dumbo does. That ride was there forever and then they changed to rocket rods.

pinktweety
04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Okay I found it, they were called the Rocket Jets.

tinkwest
04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
To remove any confusion . . . Rocket Jets (previously known as Astro Jets in the late 50s and early 60s) were redesigned, moved to the front of Tomorrowland, and renamed the Astro Orbitor in 1998.

Also during 1998's reopening of Tomorrowland, the Rocket Rods - a completely different ride - replaced the area previously covered by the People Mover.

Now . . . Back to topic . . .

MegaDisney
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
What a great topic Michael!

Although I am sure I was there before, my earliest memory of Disneyland is the year Space Mountain opened. For months the ads ran on TV and we saw billboards along the Freeway.

I remember riding the cool escalator up to ride it, when we got to the windows where you could see the cars whizzing by, my Brother and I both started crying and begging not to go. My mother made us ride and we both wanted to go again afterward.

Tomorrowland was so cool!

Sorry it has been so long since I posted...been busy with school and stuff.

MegaDisney
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
To remove any confusion . . . Rocket Jets (previously known as Astro Jets in the late 50s and early 60s) were redesigned, moved to the front of Tomorrowland, and renamed the Astro Orbitor in 1998.

Also during 1998's reopening of Tomorrowland, the Rocket Rods - a completely different ride - replaced the area previously covered by the People Mover.

Now . . . Back to topic . . .

I used to love to ride the elevator up to ride the Jets!

maizey05
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
My first trip to DL was at about age 7. I remember waking when it was still dark, and driving to the airport. The flaps on the plane had some malfunction, and we had to make an emergency landing in SanFrancisco. My ears hurt so bad! (First time flying also.) We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and I remember riding the Monorail to the park. During that time, there was some kind of celebration going on, where if you were the 100th? 50th? guest, you got a prize. Anyway, I was the lucky guest! After some fanfare, a CM escourted my family to cityhall, where I was presented with a certificate, button, and huge Mickey and Minnie. I was just sooooo cool!

Another memory: One of the first rides we did, was the Matterhorn, which scared my brother and I. Upon exiting my elderly grandmother, who was traveling with us, informed us that she had forgotton to bring her heart medicine!

To this day, I love DL, because it's the one place I can go, where I can forget the stresses and worries of being an adult.

tinkwest
04-09-2009, 11:46 AM
... After some fanfare, a CM escourted my family to cityhall, where I was presented with a certificate, button, and huge Mickey and Minnie. ...

I have that same Mickey and Minnie!!

MickeyandTink
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I've only been to Disneyland once, in 1993, with my then DGF (now DW). The most special memories are holding onto her tight while riding the Matterhorn, seeing The LItttle Mermaid show in Adventureland (hadn't seen the movie at that point, but seeing a 50 foot Ursula rise out of the water was pretty cool), and eating clam chowder out of a sourdough bread bowl (I'm still very disappointed they don't offer that anymore).

As an aside, I still kick myself that I lived only 30 minutes away from DL for over 1 1/2 years and only did the one visit. :bang: Maybe someday we'll get to go again, but at least getting to WDW the last few years has helped ease the pain. :D

Tinkerbella
08-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Just wanting to hear your first memories of Disneyland!

I think my first memory of Disneyland was when I met the Mouse himself. :mickey: I remember I had my little Snow White autograph book (who was my favorite princess as a kid) and was shaking when I gave it to him. I could NOT believe that I was actually meeting THE Mouse, himself. That was quickly overshadowed later that day when I met Snow White :jaw:

Let's hear your memories!

robnadina
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Growing up and living in So Cal you would think we went to DL all the time. Not the case. We struggled growing up and couldnt afford to go to DL all that often (probably explains why I now need to go every month). Its amazing that back in the 80's $17 was alot of money for admission. My Dad had (still does) a flair for the dramatic. He lives for the big reveal.
I remember being woken up before the sun and told to get dressed. As kids we didnt question our parents then. We got in the car (Dad, Mom, 2 bros & 1 sis) had breakfast at IHop (we thought this was the treat). It wasnt until I saw the strawberry fields along the 5 that I knew where we were headed. I do miss those strawberry fields. They were a sign that something special was coming up. I remember parking the car and taking that long walk up to the front gate. To this day, walking thru the turnstile still excites me.
My DS is 11 and has gone so often that it doesnt feel like a treat for him anymore. Maybe thats my fault, but I hope my DD who is 18 mo isnt as jaded.
Oh well, this is a good topic. I look forward to reading others memories.

Tinkerbella
08-19-2009, 11:18 AM
That's a great story Adina! :thumbsup: Really warms my heart to think of how your father obviously worked hard to surprise you guys. Disneyland is just so magical! :magic: