PDA

View Full Version : Dining Crisis!

Diz-Knee
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Okay, I’m coming on here to help some family and need the pros help!

I have family in WDW at the moment (hubby’s cousins) and there are 6 adults and 4 children. They didn’t make a single dining reservation! I know at least one of them bought the dining plan! I didn’t help them plan but I know my MIL told them they needed to make ressies. The last time they were down was in 2004 and those were the days you could still make reservations the same day/week you were there…and we know those days are gone. I know they didn’t realize the impact the dining plans had on the restaurants.

So…any suggestions to help them get in ANYWHERE this week?? Restaurants, times, tips? I know a few, but just wanted to get input from my fellow WDW fans and pros! They are staying on-site at POR.

SBETigg
03-16-2009, 09:05 AM
They need to call Disney Dining and just get set up with what's available. Be flexible with times and locations. Grand Floridian Cafe is fantastic and usually has availability. Boatwright's might have something open for them. What they really need to do is just call dining and be willing to take anything. The CMs should be able to help them out.

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Grand Floridian Cafe usually has openings, as does Trails End Buffet which is terrific and a great WDW value. Also, asking for late lunches instead of dinners should help with availability too. In the MK the Plaza usually has openings, we tried it last week and it was yummy, as does Marrakesh in Epcot. Hope this helps.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
They need to call right now and see what is available. They will probably have the most luck with lunch, since most people want a TS meal at dinner.

Although I know they will be super-frustrated, this will most likely be an opportunity to try some new and different places.

HJL413
03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Yacht Club Galley is a hidden gem

Beast_fanatic
03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Liberty Tree Tavern usually has availability at lunch on short notice (and possibly at dinner now since the characters aren't there at present and their ressies have dropped way off).

If they are adventurous eaters, Marrakesh sometimes has availability.

diz_girl
03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Ditto for GF Cafe, Trail's End and Marrakesh. I ate at all three places in December.

On the days that they are at MK, and the TS restaurants are full, they can always eat at the monorail resorts, which are probably pretty open for lunch. They can also take the boat to Trail's End. There was a chicken dish there that was really good.

We have always had good meals at GF Cafe, but we've only ever eaten breakfast there. You can take the boat from MK to either the GF or Poly (and Kona Cafe), in addition to the monorail.

I ate at Marrakesh (at Morocco in EPCOT WS) in December for the first time ever. The food was very good and it was not crowded. You actually don't need an adventurous palate to eat there. I had the chicken with couscous and it was yummy. DH had the soup and it was excellent. The belly-dancer and band are good entertainment during your meal.

Tusker House at AK has an excellent buffet. It can get crowded, but we were able to get a table with no reservations, with a short wait.

Seasonscraps
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
ESPN on the boardwalk doesn't take ADRs...if there is no big game on you shouldn't have too much of a wait.

I also wanted to recommend that they go to guest services at the resort - I find speaking to someone in person gets more results then on the phone.

phillydan
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Another vote for GF Cafe - we walked right in for lunch and it was fantastic. We were successful at both Sci Fi and San Angel Inn by constantly stopping by every 15 min to see if anything opened up (obviously, we were in the area at the time). Calling was not successful - you had to be in person with them. Useful tip - try to catch the end of lunch/beginning of dinner turnover - there seems to be some "flexibility" with the host/hostess in squeezing you in. My philosophy was that it didn't hurt to ask - you never know.

wire0monkey
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Biergarten usually has something available at the last minute.

Tinkerfreak
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow it is going be be harder because they have such a large group. I wonder if whoever they booked through told them how important adr's were going to be. Most of my suggestions work for smaller parties but not with that many people.
I wish them good luck and hope this does not spoil their trip.
I also think having them talk to someone at the concierge desk is a good idea. They might be able to check availability for them. Also if they are willing or able to split up they may have more luck.

MOJoe
03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I have had good luck checking for ressies at the hotel. Several times we went back for a nap and overslept an ADR. Granted, the dinner times were late, but i have always been able to eat dinner somewhere, and usually at the same place we originaly had an ADR.

Diz-Knee
03-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Thank you everyone! I passed the messages along to them through my MIL. I will share an update when I hear something.

DisneyMomx7
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Here's what I would try:

Grand Floridian Cafe
Captain's Grille
Biergarten
THe Plaza
Mama Melrose's
Tusker House lunch
Spoodles

Quacktatty
03-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Obviously have them call WDW Dining right now! Also, they can stop in at Guest Relations FIRST THING in the morning at their park of the day to see what GR might be able to get for them.

Insanity Clause
03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
With such a large party it is going to be harder so they will have to be more flexible and might even have to be willing to be at two separate tables.