PDA

View Full Version : Best Rollercoaster Starter Ride

missymouseworld
03-16-2009, 07:00 AM
We are coming up quick on our next trip and we already have been telling our oldest son, DS15 (who doesn't like rides and usually sits most of them out) that he really should try one rollercoaster and see how he does. So, my question is, which rollercoaster-type ride would be the one that wouldn't give him much discomfort? If we can get his confidence up and try one, maybe he will enjoy it and work his way up to others. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I have a DS6 who will and does go on everything and tries everything. My DD12 is sort of in the middle of the two, however, will try things out first and goes on more than her older brother.

Disney Doll
03-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I say go for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in MK. It's pretty tame... no huge drops and no inversion.

AwPhooey
03-16-2009, 07:33 AM
I think I'd rank WDW's roller coasters in the following order, starting with the tamest:

Goofy's Barnstormer
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Space Mountain
Expedition: Everest
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

PetefromRI
03-16-2009, 07:37 AM
You might laugh but Goofy's Barnstormer is a fun ride even though it's geared toward younger kids.My wife and I love huge roller coasters but we always manage to squeeze this one in.You might also want to try the Primeval Whirl in AK.Don't push it though.Some kids just aren't into rides.

SBETigg
03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
I would probably hit Big Thunder Mountain Railroad first. It's very tame, excellent theming.

Charlee
03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Big Thunder Mountain was the first rollercoaster I ever went on and the same for my sister! It's a pretty tame ride but still has some mild thrills! I would say it is a good starter coaster.

WDW_Obsessed
03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I would go with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It's a pretty tame ride, but also isn't geared towards small children like Goofy's Barnstormer is. I remember that at 15 years old I was all about being cool:cool: Thank Goodness I've grown out of that!:thumbsup:

disneymom15
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I agree, Big thunder mountain would be a good choice.

BugeyedMuggy
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I would never ride a roller coaster up until 4 years ago. I have done all in Disney and like Rockin Roller coaster the best. The reason being it is so dark you can't see what is happening so for me I enjoyed it the most. I feel Big Thunder Mtn is more jerky. Space Mtn is my least fav. & Expedition Everest is my 2nd favorite.

PrettyMinnie
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I know a lot of people said this but BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN! I have dragged friends on that ride that are NOT roller coaster fans and they loved it. If he is feeling a bit more adventurous, try Space Mountain. It's really not that bad, my mom will even go on it! Good luck! :minnie:

WVParkfan
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Agree with Big Thunder. Our DD8 has chosen BTMR for her first roller coaster when we visit in two weeks. She went on Splash Mountain with me last year (and hated it). But after seeing how much smaller BTMR is than Splash, she is convinced that it will be a piece of cake.

Giggy
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Big Thudner Mountain and Goofy's Barnstormer are both good calls for a starter rollercoaster. The Barnstormer was the first rollercoaster I went on (aged 8), not overly intense and just fun all round. In some respects Thunder Mountain may even be less intense, though as one of the 3 mountains he may feel mroe apprehensive starting there.

I'm perhaps not the best person to ask, I love rollercoasters! :number1:

Luv Eeyore
03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Here's another vote for Big Thunder Mountain. My niece, who is 7, is still afraid of most rides (finally got her to go on the Haunted Mansion with me but she burried her head in my shoulder the whole time) absolutely loves BTMRR. It is the only roller coaster she will go on.

Mousemates
03-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Heres another vote for Big Thunder...a good first ride....about the only complaint anyone could have on it would the relative roughness of the ride....if your sons only compliant about it is getting jarred around then maybe RnR (which is probably the smoothest coaster at disney) would be a good choice....my bet is that regardless of which coaster you pick, he'll be hooked after riding it. once you ride one and survive, a lot of the apprehension wanes.

missymouseworld
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the input, I think we will try out Big Thunder Mountain first and then see how it goes....I just know if he tries it once, he will get over his apprehensions. I am not expecting Space Mountain this trip, but just trying one would be great. :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I agree with Big Thunder, but would recommend you ride it first during the day. It is a little bit better (more wild) at night!:thumbsup:

beksy
03-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I think BTMRR is a great choice. I had a similar issue with my sister. She's 20 and rode Splash Mntn when she was younger and liked it but refused to try any roller coasters. I'm a rollercoaster nut and we were going alone in Feb. so I convinced her to just try BTMRR once and if she didn't like it, we wouldn't go on any other thrill rides. Turns out that it is now her favorite ride in the parks! We actually had to go to MK first thing every morning of our trip for her to ride it. She even rode EE later on in the trip and enjoyed that! I can't convince her to try Rockin' Rollercoaster because of the inversion but she's going to finally try ToT in December. So now she will go on all of them but Rockin' and I can do that one alone while she has a snack. She's just sorry that she missed all those years when she was tall enough to ride! We haven't tried Space yet b/c of the seating (with my leg problems I can't get in and out of this ride anymore :( ). I hope all goes well with your son! :mickey:

Imagineer1981
03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
at age 15, BTMRR is the best choice. He will be way to concerned about going on Barnstormer since its a "kids ride"

brownie
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Start with Goofy's Barnstormer. I'd go with Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain next. I think Space Mountain is probably tamer but doesn't seem to be because it takes place indoors in the dark. If that all goes well, you could try Rockn' Roller Coaster and/or Expedition Everest.

Insanity Clause
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I am going to start with Barnstormer with my kids when we are there in April. My kids are 10,9 and 7 and have no rollercoaster experience, so we will do that and move on to Thunger Mountain. Unfortunately I won't be able to take them on Space Mountain...they start the renovations the day before we get there.

ERJDriver
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with everyone else about BTMRR, but another idea might be Test Track. While it's not a roller coaster, it is the fastest ride in WDW. So you could go on it, and say ok it doesn't get any faster than that, then maybe he'll be willing to try the "slower" roller coasters.

Belster
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I agree with the person that ranked up at the top. I think that if your DS has not gone on he would want the less of an experience even if Barnstormer is a bit for kids he wont care because he is not even a coster rider. There was a time where I did the very same thing and did not care how I looked going on the kids rides. I would start small as not to scare him away from going on any others.

Let us know how it goes!!!