PDA

View Full Version : Nursery water

Buddy08
03-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Does anybody know if there is infant water for sale at the resorts, particularly POFQ? My niece would like to know if she should provide her own nursery water along with the powder or if anyone has other suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Seasonscraps
03-14-2009, 10:43 PM
What is infant water?? I have only seen regular Dasani for sale in the gift shops.

Buddy08
03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I guess it is also called nursery water. The kind you mix with the powder to make infant formula. (it has been a long time since I have had to do this!)

Seasonscraps
03-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Oh, I don't know. I didn't know there was special water, I thought moms just used boiled tap water or regular bottled water like dasani or poland spring. :blush:

Strmchsr
03-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I hadn't ever heard of nursery water either. I don't remember seeing anything in any of the resort shops other than regular bottled water, but since I've never heard of nursery water maybe I just overlooked it.

VWL Mom
03-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Oh, I don't know. I didn't know there was special water, I thought moms just used boiled tap water or regular bottled water like dasani or poland spring. :blush:

When my boys were little we did use bottled water. We learn something new every day, don't we ;)

Goofy4TheWorld
03-15-2009, 10:18 AM
We use several gallons of Nursery Water a week, and since we drive to WDW, we would definitely take our own since it is hard to find anywhere except large grocery stores.

If I were flying, I would still pack the water in checked luggage, and just pay the fee to do so, since I could not stand having to grocery shop after arrival.

If you are flying, and do not want to pay the extra fee for the additional luggage, I suspect that a trip to Wal-Mart or or grocery delivery service to your room would be required, since I doubt WDW has any on property.

Since infant/nursery water is basically just extra-purified water that has had fluoride added to it to build strong teeth, I would also consider using regular bottled water for the trip, as I am sure that short period of time without the fluoride would cause no harm.

CleveRocks
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
My wife is a board-certified pediatrician. The hospital where she trained was, at the time, the #1 children's hospital in the country. At the present time, she is employed by the current #1 children's hospital in the country. I bring this up just to demonstrate that she knows her stuff ...

We always used regular tap water to mix with our powdered formula for both of our kids when they were under 1 year old.

It didn't matter what city we were in, we just used regular tap water.

Of course, everyone should listen to their own pediatrician's medical advice, as well as listen to their own conscience on what they think is best for their babies. But the top pediatricians in the country don't recommend that any special water preparation is medically better than just regular ol' tap water for "normal" healthy infants.

Disney Doll
03-16-2009, 07:23 AM
I have never seen nursey water on site so if you really want it I think you'd need to make a grocery stop outside the world or have grocery delivery. I've never used nursery water b/c DS is breastfed which lead me to wonder why the added flouride is even necessary. Breastmilk doesn't have added flouride. Anyway, I think grocery delivery can be nice when you have a baby because you don't have to pack diapers and baby food. If you decide to go that route I recommend Garden Grocer. We've used them before and they were great.

Nini5055
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I have heard of it, seen it and never used it! If your niece is against using regular bottled water (that is what I used to mix dd's formula), then she also has the option of buying however much she will need and just shipping it to your resort. Otherwise, as one poster mentioned there is grocery stores that deliver such as Garden Grocer.:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Just a side note about the nursery water. With my first DS I used nursery water, but when my pediatrician found out he told me that I should discontinue it. The liqiud vitamins a pediatrician gives for infants has all the floride an infant needs in it and the added floride in the water is really too much. After that I used regular bottled water and both my kids turned out fine. Talking with an infants pediatrician about the nursery water is probably a good idea for anyone thinking about or using nursery water.

Dsnygirl
03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
My wife is a board-certified pediatrician. The hospital where she trained was, at the time, the #1 children's hospital in the country. At the present time, she is employed by the current #1 children's hospital in the country. I bring this up just to demonstrate that she knows her stuff ...

We always used regular tap water to mix with our powdered formula for both of our kids when they were under 1 year old.

It didn't matter what city we were in, we just used regular tap water.

Of course, everyone should listen to their own pediatrician's medical advice, as well as listen to their own conscience on what they think is best for their babies. But the top pediatricians in the country don't recommend that any special water preparation is medically better than just regular ol' tap water for "normal" healthy infants.

I have to totally agree with this post... I am a Labor & Delivery nurse who also works postpartum, and we care for hundreds of newborns a month. We don't use any special water, and have actually had discussions re: the idea of "nursery water". The pediatricians/neonatologists at our hospital basically feel it is just another way that some company/companies have found a way to feed into a new parent's fears of doing everything right... remember all those catalogs you'd get for your new baby with the most amazing things in them (that you only use for 3 or 4 months, are "educational" or "stimulating" and you pay an arm & a leg for?? ;)) Well, "nursery water" falls into that category, as well, unless you live in one of the very few areas of the country where public tap water is not safe. Our water here in Upstate NY is flouridated, so that makes it especially good for the babies... we don't even boil it around here. But I don't know how true that is across the country.

Anyway -- just a shout out to new moms and dads out there -- don't fall for the "nursery water" scam unless your pediatrician has good reason to recommend it for your child. It truly is unnecessary in most cases. :)

MidnTPK
03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I have to totally agree with this post... I am a Labor & Delivery nurse who also works postpartum, and we care for hundreds of newborns a month. We don't use any special water, and have actually had discussions re: the idea of "nursery water". The pediatricians/neonatologists at our hospital basically feel it is just another way that some company/companies have found a way to feed into a new parent's fears of doing everything right... remember all those catalogs you'd get for your new baby with the most amazing things in them (that you only use for 3 or 4 months, are "educational" or "stimulating" and you pay an arm & a leg for?? ;)) Well, "nursery water" falls into that category, as well, unless you live in one of the very few areas of the country where public tap water is not safe. Our water here in Upstate NY is flouridated, so that makes it especially good for the babies... we don't even boil it around here. But I don't know how true that is across the country.

Anyway -- just a shout out to new moms and dads out there -- don't fall for the "nursery water" scam unless your pediatrician has good reason to recommend it for your child. It truly is unnecessary in most cases. :)
Now that we're off on a tangent...

A potentially good reason is if your home gets its water from your own well, rather than a municipal system.

Special bottled water for infants primarily exists for these homes. While many (if not most) well water purification systems do a better job of purifying than municipal water systems, people with wells have to be cautious, since some systems are not monitored continuously.

MNNHFLTX
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Moderator Note--

We have gone :offtopic: here. Whether or not a parent needs to use special water for mixing formula is a subject best left for their pediatrician. In the meantime, let's get back to the OP's question please.

Dsnygirl
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
:blush: Sorry, only thought it was relevant from a planning point of view, to help them realize they didn't have to bring special water with them, or have to ship it, unless medically necessary. Didn't mean to get so far from the original post... :blush:

kakn7294
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Just back from Pop. Did not see anything like this there although I wasn't really looking either. Perhaps the Baby Care Centers have it but probably your best bet is to either bring your own, find a store nearby that carries it and go shopping, or find a delivery service that will deliver it to your resort.

thumperbug
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
You can get regular bottled water at the resorts. Some even carry galloon sized bottles.

If you wish to use what you currently use, there are several pharmacys near the resorts that might carry what you need. There is one pharmacy that I know of that will deliver to the resorts, Turner Pharmacy. But I would call and check with them..

Oh most important of all

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAT1811
03-18-2009, 08:23 AM
As a mother of four that frequently has traveled the World with our children as infants (and as a result lugged all the formula and bottles to boot) I have always used bottled water when we were away. I would recommend having Garden Grocer or a similar service deliver to the resort as she will most likely need quite a bit and it will get expensive buying as you go. I didn't see specific nursery water listed on Garden Grocer's website but you can call them and see if it is avaliable for delivery. If not, depending on how you are getting to the World, you may want to stop at a store on the way in. We have used a car service before and they were happy to stop at the store for us so that we could buy some baby supplies. Just confirm that the service is avaliable for a stop prior to booking. Now we just use the Magical Express and have our grocery supplies shipped. Good luck.

P.S. - The baby care centers have tons of supplies (great if you run out of something in the parks) but I am not sure they carry anything as large as a gallon container of water but may be worth checking out as an alternative.

Disney Doll
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I've purchased baby food from the Baby Centers, but I haven't seen nursery water there. Their supplies are pretty limited and they're not the most economical choice.

mudpuppysmom
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
When we were there in December I looked at the resort before we went off to the store to get "supplies" and no Nursery Water was stocked.....nor did I see it in any of the Baby Care Centers.

Also, instead of paying extra for the nursery water, I used bottled water (by the gallon) and mixed it with our formula (prescription b/c DS#2 is allergic to protein).

When I broached the subject of bottled water with our ped, they both said that since we already had "stuff" going on with DS it was not a bad idea to use bottled water when we were gone as well as sterilize his bottles (getting a microwave though was a REAL chore).

I do strongly feel that if you asked your ped, they would say bottled water would be fine, but that is my uneducated opinion -- I'm just a mother, not an MD.

IloveJack
03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
P.S. - The baby care centers have tons of supplies (great if you run out of something in the parks) but I am not sure they carry anything as large as a gallon container of water but may be worth checking out as an alternative.

Like what, and for how much?

DH and I are taking DD for her 1st b-day in the fall. She is breastfed, so I'm not worried about formula. And I plan to pack well. But I'd like to know just in case...

KAT1811
03-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Like what, and for how much?

They carry a variety of baby items:

Diapers
Wipes
Juice
Formula
Baby Food
Medicines (Tylenol, etc.)
Disney Baby clothes

They also have changing areas, breastfeeding rooms, high chairs, play areas with toys and videos, rocking chairs . . .

One year our youngest at the time was 10 months and she was teething and spiked a small fever while we were in Epcot. I did not have any Tylenol on me at the time so I went to the Baby Care Station over near Odyssey and bought some to give her. They had a variety of items for babies and I was impressed to see a decent variety. If you run out of juice or food or even diapers they have just about everything you may need in a pinch. The pricing was not cheap but I do not recall being shocked at the prices (then again nothing in Disney is cheap).

Have a great trip!!! We will be taking our four children in November this year (12, 4, 2, and the little guy will be 8 months by then, he is only 1 week old right now!)

garymacd
03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Since infant/nursery water is basically just extra-purified water that has had fluoride added to it to build strong teeth, I would also consider using regular bottled water for the trip, as I am sure that short period of time without the fluoride would cause no harm.

I think fluoride is falling out of favour as an additive to water. Small groups of people have been visiting every town and city council and councillor in Ontario trying to get fluoride removed from the drinking water supply.

Please do some research on the internet on this subject. Check the websites for the Centres for Disease Control and the National Research Council, and, above all, keep an open mind and decide for yourself if the study is well balanced and fair.

Ask yourself, "Is this study peer reviewed?", "Is it a double-blind study?", "Are the authors experts in their field?", "Are they citing other studies and using the cites out of context or with no context?" and, "Do the authors have an ax to grind?"

javamama
03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I know for a fact they don't carry it. I brought my own when I went w/dd in '07. I can't think of the brand now, but they make the smaller sized bottles--like small water bottles for a toddler to drink from. You can pack them in a diaper bag since you need them for a baby when you fly. I also put a few in my carryon that had all my dd's baby food, and formula. My dd was on special formula, due to a milk allergy that you couldn't buy at the store it was ordered so I had to be safe. When I ran out of water I used bottled. Like a pp said it's just lacking floride, which for a short amount of time isn't harmful----I asked my pedi. Plus she was WDW before I went so she gave me the lowdown.