PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Go, And Why?

PETE FROM NYC
03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I have been using these forums for a number of years now. It helps keep me up to date and gets my questions answered.
I read that many families go yearly, some several times each year. Now, DW and I are two of the biggest kids on the planet. We try to go every other year. Any more often we feel would cause WDW to lose some of its magic.
How do all of you frequent visitors go so often and still keep the magic alive?

faline
03-13-2009, 02:03 PM
We often go several times per year. For a variety of reasons, we only got there once last year and, though I hoped for two trips this year, there'll only be one.

We just enjoy Disney World. We like that we don't need to drive ourselves around from spot to spot once we arrive. We enjoy taking our time in the parks - hitting both the e-ticket and the not-so-popular attractions knowing that it's okay if we miss something because we'll be back again. We also try to fit in something new on each trip - a tour, a new attraction, a restaurant we haven't tried before (or haven't been to for years and years), a new resort etc.

For us, it just hasn't gotten"old" or "stale"!

iheartdisney
03-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I think once a year would be the "magic" number for me. But finances prevent that so we try to go at least every other year now. Before DH and I married, I went once or twice a year at least. When I would go more than twice, you're right...a little less magical.

Tinksalot
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I go at least once a year, sometimes more. :mickey:

CAS
03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I worried about the same thing growing up, however since I have a family of my own now I've found that the magic evolves the more you go.

As a child everything was special; the more I go however the more my focus changes on what I enjoy. The parks themselves aren't what we look forward to the most, it's the smaller things: downtown disney, the resorts, the meals, shopping, watching my daughter play in the pool, hug the characters, etc. At a certain point WDW becomes your second home and what you feel is a homecoming. While it's not the same feeling I used to get it's certainly as strong. We just always try different things and have moved away from making sure we hit every major attraction on every trip. Sure they're great...but there's really no need for us to do pirates 10 times a vacation anymore. :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
We go once or twice a year. I would go more if finances allowed! For me, it is the most magical place I've ever been. The magic has never dimmed and I hope it never does. As a 46 year old father of two (DS 14, DD 11), I think I get more excited than they do! I love the atmosphere, the rides, the food, the characters and the whole Disney attention to detail! We watch Disney movies at home a lot, listen to Disney music, collect Disney (especially Mickey) items and are basically Disney junkies. I would love to expand our vacations to include a trip or two to Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland! :mickey:

vicster
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
My DH and I go once a year. We love everything about WDW. Service is great and there's plenty to do. We've done cruising and there's only so much you can do on a cruise ship. We decided we'd rather be at WDW - it's money well spent. It's more fun now that we don't have to take kids anymore. Somehow my life wouldn't seem right if we didn't go. Go figure...

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
We go a few times each year. My kids just love it. My DD (9) is in a wheelchair and can't participate in so many activities in our world. Disney is the one place where she can do so many fun things. She is really a different child when we are there. We were afraid to take her the first time not knowing how she would react. After the first trip.....we were hooked.

ILoveLegos
03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm in & out of central FL a lot due to work and I maintain a residence there & in the north. I'm single with a huge family, lots of siblings and nieces & nephews, cousins and such. I can sit in Disney on a bench talking with strangers and be happy. I even look for certain cast members who have become like family over the years, just catching up with them is cool. I can watch the grass grow in Disney or I can go commando just to see how many parks/attractions I can cover. I switch up my touring objective everytime I go or bring a different member of the family, Disney is different for everyone and I'm really good at tailoring our day to fit other people's personality or touring style. I like looking at WDW through other people's eyes. I still have not seen or done everything in WDW in over 15 years of this multiple times annually pace. I guess Disney is what you make of it. But to me it does not get old.

blondeinbrandon
03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
We are lucky and live only about 45 minutes from WDW so we go a lot. I think you LOVE Disney or you don't. I have friends like me that are happiest when sitting on a bench at the Magic Kingdom, and I have other friends that don't go at all and don't see what we see in it.
I just love the Magic! And they seem to have at least one new thing for each season, whether it's a ride or a show. Very nice.
:mickey:

Goofeygal
03-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree with Cas we go several times a year and the magic just seems to grow.:mickey::number1::cloud9:

PETE FROM NYC
03-13-2009, 04:07 PM
WOW!!!
So many responses in about an hour.
DW and I love the whole idea of Disney which surprises many of our friends and family, because its just the two of us, no kids.
Economics aside,I still think that for us the magic would start to fade if we overdid it.
Some folks said there is always another resort or restaurant to try. I stay cheap because I spend all of our time in the parks.I don't care about spas, golf,or pools.
WE WANT THE RIDES.
As for the restaurants,my feeling is that too many of them are too exotic for my taste.

MickeyMousse
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
We try to go every 12-18 months. If we had to wait longer than that, I think we'd go nuts!! :crazy:

Thankfully, we are DVC members which makes it more affordable for us to go.

joanna71985
03-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I've been there at least once a year since 2005. I am going back down in Aug, and if all goes well I will be moving to FL for good!

LauraleeH
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM
I've been going at least 3-4 times a year since 2005. Maybe more. The only reason why it stays magical for me is because I live here, so I go for the day. I rarely get to spend the night. My passes expired last month so I think if I get to go again within the next 2-3 years, it will be extra magical :thumbsup:

PrettyMinnie
03-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Of course the ideal situation would be once a year. BUT with the money situation and what not, its a bit difficult. The other factor is school. It's hard to for kids in high school to miss even one day not to mention private schools don't allow absences for vacations limiting our time frame to winter/spring break and summer vacations. Unfortunately those are some of the busiest times of the year and the priciest. We are shooting for our last "family" trip next March. Hopefully something won't come up.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
My wife and I went to WDW twice before our daughter was born in 1989.
We brought her there for the 1st time in the spring of 1991 and have gone at least once every year since. In several years we were lucky enough to sneak in two trips.

It has never gotten old for us because every year we saw it from our daughters ever changing perspective. As she was growing up each year there were more and more attractions she was able to enjoy. Now that she is in college it gives her a chance to be a kid again, talking Dad into buying that extra souvenir. ;)
My wife's job can be pretty stressful and WDW is the one place she can forget work for hours at a time.

My guess is that if you think going every year would be boring, for you it will be. :(

We go every year knowing that we are going to have a good time. :mickey:

d_m_n_n
03-14-2009, 03:08 AM
We go in early December of odd years. I would love for it to be more often, but DH just doesn't get the warm fuzzies for it like I do (I know...I don't understand it either!). :blush: But, knowing we don't get to go more often makes me appreciate our visits even more. My dream is to retire to Orlando and work at WDW. :mickey:

amd780
03-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I would love to be able to go every year - and lately, DH and I have been doing just that! :mickey: We went in January of 2007 and 2008, and have a trip planned for September. DH wants this to be our last trip for a while though, as he wants to explore other places - I want to as well, but I will really miss WDW. I hope it won't be too long until our next trip to the World! :(

tinksmom02
03-14-2009, 02:21 PM
We're on a once a year basis right now (although we did go 2x in 2007), September. And each trip DH says is the last one for at least 2 years. I never pressure him, but just wait it out, because by January or so, he starts getting that Disney bug. So I wait for HIM to suggest another trip LOL

He likes to pretends he doesn't love Disney, but I know him too well :)

elmjimmlm
03-14-2009, 09:20 PM
We go once a year and would love to be able to go more than that...
When we think of vacation, this is only place that we come back to and go...Other places are considered but this is it...
Where else can you go that has so much to offer and you don't have to worry about driving...Every restaurant is right there and being able to pay in advance is great...The only worry that you have is getting there...
It is also the feeling you have when you get there...All of our worries are gone and I don't think about bills or any of the daily stress that we have...
It is just this indescribable feeling of happiness that we feel that cant be compared with anything else...We love Disney World...:mickey:

disneyboy98
03-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Once a year and we love it! It's the best 10-12 days of the year!

Cheloconnell
03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
We go several times a year - 3 times lately. We just became DVC owners so we see the 3 times a year as a tradition. We tried to cut it down to 2 this year due to the economy, but couldn't bare to do it. We took a $400 hit and rescheduled our airfare on JetBlue until October and we have decided to drive down in April. We just went in February and before that in December. We never grow tired of it and countdown to our next trip and plan, plan, plan. For us, Disney is part of our life and that will never change. Many of our friends think we are crazy, but I don't care. We are the happiest when at Disney :mickey:

iheartdisney
03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
DH wants this to be our last trip for a while though, as he wants to explore other places(

Huh? Other places?:confused:

amd780
03-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Huh? Other places?:confused: I know, really! :D Maybe DH will change his mind after our next trip. He'll remember just how much fun WDW is, and maybe he'll understand why I need my yearly fix :thedolls:

pdrlkr
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
We try to go at least one time per year! :thumbsup: :mickey:

joonyer
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
We (me, DW & 2 DS 16 & 13) only make it to WDW about every 18-24 months. I would love to go more often, at least once per year or more, but unfortunately for us the expense is the limiting factor. Finding the time to go is also difficult, because WDW is not our only vacation destination. We also visit a family cottage on a lake every summer and always include another trip to the beach, not to mention camping several times a year on long weekends close to home.
Also, as the kids get older they are involved in more extra-curricular activities (sports, band, church camps, etc.) that limit our available travel times.

LandFan
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
And each trip DH says is the last one for at least 2 years. I never pressure him, but just wait it out, because by January or so, he starts getting that Disney bug. So I wait for HIM to suggest another trip LOL

OMG too funny! DH is the same way!! He says I am the one that always wants to go but he is the one that goes through withdrawal. If I wait patiently, about 4 or 5 months after the last visit he will see a Disney commercial and sigh theatrically and say "I miss Tower of Terror". That is my cue to start planning our next trip:D I have him ALL figured out:thedolls:

c&d
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
We tend to go once a year for DS' school vacation. Having been enough times we feel like we're going home. We don't need to race and spend every minute at the parks. We spend time at our resort swimming. A lot of time now is just spent hanging out and relaxing and the fun of just being at Disney.

The "magic" for us now includes all the other things at WDW, parasailing, water skiing, mini golf and this year :surfing:. What was I thinking when I signed us up for that?

We are trying out different restaurants every time we go and I'm currently on a quest to stay in each of the resorts. :D

There's still so much to be seen and done at WDW for us.

brownie
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Not often enough! I wish we could go 2-3 times or more a month (every day might be pushing it, but what a way to spend a retirement!)

It's been almost 5 years since our last trip to Disney World, so I'm really hoping we are able to make a trip next there next year.

DizNee143
03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
since i was 14 months old..ive been at least once a year..with a few years we went two or three times in a year..
lately now..the pass few times we have gone done was for a reason..cousins wedding..our honeymoon..and this next trip in oct we are going is a whole big family affair..
i try to go whenever i can..after this trip in oct who knows when we will be able to afford disney again..i take it as it comes..and go whenever i can!! :mickey:

sleepingbooty
03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
We started going 4 years ago, when our daughters were 2 and 5, and we've averaged once a year since then. We can only afford one big vacation a year, so we do have to make the decision each year if we want to go back to Disney, or try somewhere else. For now, Disney always wins. When our youngest starts school and learns to read, we'll probably start mixing in some more educational trips, and when they're both a couple years older, we may try some more adventurous vacations - but for the ages they are now, you can't beat WDW. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm the one who can't bear not to go there every year! No, the magic has not waned yet. In fact - I feel like we are still newbies, learning the ropes and discovering new things every trip!

mjaclyn
03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
We try to go once a year but have to skip this year because I'm expecting baby #2 in May! I absolutely LOVE WDW even though we've done everything there multiple times. I can't explain why, but I never get tired of it. It's especially nice now that we're so familiar with everything because I don't feel like I have to rush and hit every single attraction in one day. We take our time and enjoy the little things...like relaxing in the rocking chairs on Main Street, or browsing through the art gallery in Epcot. I personally feel that WDW is so much more enjoyable this way - no pressure, no rushing, no tight scheduling to fit everything in. One of my favorite things to do is take a day and relax by the pool at the Beach Club (where we usually stay), hit Beaches & Cream and stroll along the boardwalk at night. Love it!

Diz-Knee
03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
We typically go once a year. This year we bought annual passes to try to sneak a few mini-trips and see if it was possible. We spend a solid week and the other trips have been between 2-4 days long. Our son is 3 and we have been going regularly as a couple since 1995 which was my first trip. We do vacation elsewhere for a week out of the year too...SHHH! :secret:

Like others have shared, the magic doesn't get old. It's just different - we go at a much slower pace and know that if the wait for a special attraction is just too much, we'll be back! We have started adding different things to our trips too - last year we did an Illuminations fireworks cruise, and this year we are going to do a Segway tour. In May we are going to try 6 new restaurants that we've never eaten at. There is so much at WDW that we've never done and having a son that has been going since he was an infant, every trip is different for him too as his reactions to rides change.

There will be years in the future that we don't go (GASP) as there have been in the past, but for now it's on our regular vacation rotation!

Soul_Power
03-18-2009, 04:29 AM
As much as I would love to go every year, it's just not possible for my boyfriend and me (recent college graduates) to do so. I'm a Disneyholic and my boyfriend is not, so to be fair we have come to an agreement to make Disney a 'every other year' trip. I'll take it where I could get it! :mickey:

We've only been to WDW once, but I grew up going to Disneyland, and the magic could just never die for me. I love it as much - maybe even more than - I did when I was a kid.

mousefan76
03-18-2009, 10:44 PM
We try to go a couple times a year at least. My DW grew up going but I had never gone until our honeymoon. Since then I have been trying to get caught up. We go as often as we do because both our DSs love WDW and in today's society I would rather them be obsessed with WDW than other things out there they could be into. I love WDW and as long as I can afford it we will try to continue to go as often as possible. :cloud9:

texasteacher
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I go every other year because of finances but would go yearly if I could. My trip in June will be #12 and I know they it will be as wonderful as the other 11. My son and I (his fiance is joining us this year) have been going together since he was a toddler (He is now 22). After my divorce, I needed a safe place to vacation. WDW was perfect for us and has become a family tradition.
We buy the dining plan and enjoy trying new restaurants every trip. We have also slowed down a little and enjoy our surroundings more. We see more shows and do more shopping instead of running with the crowds at rope drop (Ok, maybe I will still run to Space Mountain and I am 55!).
WDW is always changing which is wonderful, and we do a lot of pre-planning from home to make sure it is a fresh, new trip every time.

SpecJoe Magic
03-21-2009, 04:59 AM
We go 1-2 times a year, and it still hasn't lost its magic for us.

One of the biggest reasons we go is because there is nowhere else in the world where we can have as much or more fun. I'm not much of a beach person, and I hate to shop, so places like Gulf Shores, AL and Gatlinburg, TN are typically out of the question for me. My wife feels the same way.

Money and time are also big reasons. Going to other places can be just as or more expensive than a WDW trip, and we only have a limited amount of money and vacation time, so we like to go to a place where we know our money and time will be well spent.

That's not to say we don't go to other places occasionally, but we've yet to find anywhere else that makes us as happy as WDW.

Kenny1113
03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Intially I felt the same way the OP felt. I would not take the kids more than once a year...Well from my signature you can see that has not happened the last couple of years. No, it has not lost the "magic". Now when we go we can take our time and enjoy. We don't have to rush to squeeze in every single ride, parade ,show etc.