PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan Review

bouncyprouncy
03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
We've only used the dining plan during free dining in the past, which certainly made it a good deal. This time, we decided to pay for it for the first time, and keep track of our results. I was at a conference for a couple of days with free lunch, so that allowed us to use a QS for dinner one night and double up to a signature restaurant in its place. We stayed at Coronado Springs for 7 nights. We did not try to maximize every meal or choice, just ate where we normally would and tried a few newbies. Here were our results for 2 adults:

Paid $559.86 ($39.99 per adult per night). Total dining charges would have been $758.75 for what we ate, saving in the neighborhood of $200.

For dinner, we ate at Chef Mickeys (1st time, only OK), Sci-Fi (my wife's favorite), Boma (my favorite), Maya (excellent value on the plan), Pepper Market (with our saved QS), Crystal Palace, and Yahtsman Steakhouse.

Lunches were at Pepper Market (2), Flame Tree BBQ (AK), Earl of Sandwich (not a good DDP value), Pool area at Coronado, Harbor House (MK), and Wolfgang Puck express (full size pizza, could have easily shared).

Our snacks were generally ice cream somewhere or muffins for breakfast.

We could have eaten cheaper, but overall eating better was worth the price for us this time, especially at Coronado Springs. The FIlet Mignon at Maya on the menu is $3 less than the Yahtsman, but only costs 1 TS rather than 2, both were of similar quality (my wife got this at both restaurants) although the Porterhouse I got at Yahtsman was excellent and maybe worth the 2.

May not be for everyone, but I think we'd pay for it again assuming no further changes to the program that would reduce its value. I'd highly recommend anyone on the plan that doesn't mind bussing it around try the Maya given its value.

MMFreak
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
We use the Dining Plan all the time. Of course as adults our first few trips were not on the dining plan. The first time we tried it we went to the same places we always enjoyed and we ended up saving more than 200.00 we typically have a 30%+ savings. To me this is great deal as well as having our core meals paid for in advance. My only complaint is that they took out the appetizer. Being a family of four some like app and some like dessert. So although those who enjoyed the app still get it and we just pay out of pocket for the app it would be nice to have it back in so we did not have to budget it in once there.

DisneyFr33k
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
We've used the DDP for 4 trips now and we have come to realize that for us, it isn't worth it. We really don't eat that much food in one day, so after 7 days of overeating, we don't want to eat for a week, plus dealing with weight gain! We've priced it for only the food we would typically eat and found we would spend $200 less than the dining plan. Plus, our children are now moving into the adult age (10), so I know for sure they won't eat that amount.

However, the real perk was not having to worry with paying as it is all pre-paid. My DH is a miser with money and it stresses him out paying for things. However, now that we have to pay tips, we have to carry cash anyway.

I think it is up to each family and their food intake/preference.

betteratmk
03-13-2009, 02:12 PM
We have gone both ways with and without. DS will soon be 12 and this trip March1-8, we traveled and paid for 3 other family members. It was a life saver this trip. The other family eats more than we do and I don't think we could have afforded to keep up to be honest. Last April we took a cousin and didn't get the dining plan. The boys ate more kids stuff than adult choices. We ate more sit down lunches and made out just fine. We have probably used the plan about 7times and done without about 5. We like to sit down to eat even DS.:D

JavaDuck
03-14-2009, 03:23 PM
My other half and I used the DDP during our trip last August and are going to use it again for our trip this August. The DDP plan did save us money based on what we ate during our last trip and if we had paid for it out of pocket. If we were not on the plan, we would no have had dessert all the time or made some of the choices that we did.

For us, the thing we enjoy most about the DDP is that our food is paid for in advance and we can pretty much order anything we want on the menu. It is especially nice for me, since when I usually eat out price does effect what I order.

We could definitely spend less money on food by eating at CS all week and have a few TS meals. However, the food was one of the biggest highlights of our last trip. We are definitely looking forward to the food again this August.

Mr_Increddieble
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
We always do the DDP. Not only for the price savings. We really enjoy the sit down dinners for good quality family time.
If you are like us most of our sit down dinners are normally at restaurants. At home someones always in a rush to get up and do something.
Plus with all the walking at Disney you'll need the energy, you'll burn a lot of those calories away.
Some of the best and most lasting memories are those times going to dinner even if it's just getting their early and waiting for our table. We meet people, recoup our energy and formulate a plan of attack for the rest of the day.
Disney is a feast for all senses.
When else would you take time to view the beautiful gardens outside LeCellier or kill some time in the gift shop at the Poly?

Frog
03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
any feelings out there about the new counter service ddp option?