PDA

View Full Version : If DHS was still a working studio?

Imagineer1981
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
If DHS was still a working studio, would you spend more time there? Do you think it would be a better experience? I remember when MGM was real, and there were stars out and about at times, and the Animators were working on the next great feature film, and the backstage tour really was backstage! I wish Disney would go back to those days, I understand why, but I think it has really killed the park and what it was intended to be.

TheRustyScupper
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
1) Yes.
2) Unfortunately, DHS was not well thought-out.
3) They hurriedly built it to beat Universal. *
4) The studios part is under-built.
5) Plus, it is hard to get stars to travel to Florida from Hollywood. (duh!)

* Disney "claims" that Disney-MGM Studios was already on the drawing board. In fact, it had been mothballed. Then, Universal announced Florida. So, Disney jumped into action to build Studios. There was not a good sense of planning or mission. Thus, when it opened there were only one ride, one tram circle, several shops, and a few eateries.

Gooftroop5
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree. It was better. It was worth waiting in line to be able to walk through & see the animators at work. We saw them working on Mulan. You appreciate the movie so much more afterwards. At least I do.

I wish my kids could've seen it. They would love it.

Michigander
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree! I got to watch the work being done on Brother Bear, and when I took the kids to see it at the movies they both were so excited to watch the finished product after seeing parts of it earlier at the park. I wish they would go back to that!:mickey:

WDW_Obsessed
03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I was just thinking the other day about how cool it was to see the animators working at the old school DHS. And I used to love the Backlot Tour, with the house fronts from the sticoms like Golden Girls...now I'm sorry to say that the Backlot Tour isn't even on our "must do" list:( Don't get me wrong, I still love DHS for all that it is, but I think back in the day MGM was even cooler for me personally.

Mfarquar
03-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I agree! I wish there was something they could bring back on a small scale.

The big bee from Honey I Shrunk The Kids was great!

Too bad they can't work on 1 film (or part of an animated one) or even a kid's show in the space. I think it would encourage a LOT more people to stay in the park longer (which is a Disney M.O.).

I LOVED watching the animators. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever as a kid.

I miss when the backlot tour included checking out homes used in TV/movies (like the Golden Girls house!).

Those were the days...:mickey:

Stu29573
03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree that the "Studios" are a shell of what they could have been. I, too, saw them working on Mulan, and it made seeing it in theaters all that much better! I also agree that putting one or two lightweight Disney Channel shows into production would be a great idea. Otherwise the place is just kind of sad and pointless...

4ubie1
03-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I remember when I was able to see a show being produced there. It was a live action kids show based on Alice in Wonderland.:confused: Anywho it was awesome to be able to roam around and see the "behind the scenes" for movies and shows Disney was producing. I believe the animators were working on Beauty and the Beast when I went through. I really wish that they would bring back the "Studio" part of the park. It really did add to the magic. :mickey:

JPL
03-12-2009, 02:31 PM
It was definately a more interesting place when it was a working studio but was pretty much doomed from the start. One of the biggest problems they encountered for outdoor shoots was the unpredictable Florida weather. A sudden storm would cause major cost overruns in productions and the heat and humidity also limited the amount of time you could shoot outdoors. Add to that the locations of most major actors and production companies and you had a scenario that was setup to fail. And there is no way they can return it to a working studio at this point without a major expansion since most of the working productions facilities are now home to attractions.

Imagineer1981
03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
It was definately a more interesting place when it was a working studio but was pretty much doomed from the start. One of the biggest problems they encountered for outdoor shoots was the unpredictable Florida weather. A sudden storm would cause major cost overruns in productions and the heat and humidity also limited the amount of time you could shoot outdoors. Add to that the locations of most major actors and production companies and you had a scenario that was setup to fail. And there is no way they can return it to a working studio at this point without a major expansion since most of the working productions facilities are now home to attractions.

Ask yourself this...what made Disney a success? His animated feature films and willingness to take a chance. You CAN still produce animated films at DHS, and restore some of that magic without major expansion. You also could film TV series at the studios and would never have a shortage on live studio audience. If I was an actor and someone said you have to live in Florida to be part of the show, I'd agree in a heartbeat. I bet Tim Allen would have agreed to live in Florida to do Home Improvement if thats where the studios said it was going to be done.

Insanity Clause
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I remember when we were there in 2001 and they were working on Treasure Island, it was so neat when the movie actually came out. I miss that the animation is gone now, it was interesting watching that process though I think it would be hard on the animator to have people walking though all day watching what you are workin on through the glass.

Mfarquar
03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Consider this as well:

Plymouth Rock Studios is a 14 sound stage and 10 acre back which are being built in MA right now for television production, music videos, and movies. Yes, there are great tax incentives in MA, but no weather is more unpredictable than MA - not to mention our terrifying winters! But, major Hollywood heavy hitters (mostly from Paramount) are financing and developing it as we speak.

Maybe it's time to reevaluate the studios on a small scale. A kid's show or two could really drum up some guest attendance for the park (not that they really need it), especially considering a lot of the mania around a lot of Disney live action shows. I remember that the Mickey Mouse Club caused quite a stir on a daily basis when it was being taped in MGM. It will probably never happen, but you never know (Eisner IS gone!). Just a thought...

KevMcNJ
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
MGM Studios used to be my 2nd fave park behind MK. It may have dropped to my
4th fave after our trip last month

Last month we walked around for a couple hours and I wondered what the big thrill used to be about the place.

the Aerosmith ride is boffo of course. Ditto Tof T

Walking down the main drag is fun still but I find myself not even taking too many pics there since I have the same shots from last years trip. Its not really even big enough for just walking around like MK is.

the park needs "something" I dont know what that is however

dteed
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
MGM Studios used to be my 2nd fave park behind MK. It may have dropped to my
4th fave after our trip last month

Last month we walked around for a couple hours and I wondered what the big thrill used to be about the place.

the Aerosmith ride is boffo of course. Ditto Tof T

Walking down the main drag is fun still but I find myself not even taking too many pics there since I have the same shots from last years trip. Its not really even big enough for just walking around like MK is.

the park needs "something" I dont know what that is however

"boffo?"

ASweetLov
03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I personally love MGM(to me it will always be called that). I think it is a slow paced park for me. A bit more relaxing because it isnt as crowded. I am not a thrill seeker at all so I absolutely love the shows and attractions this park offers (exept RnRC and ToT because I get sick on rides like that). Great place to meet characters and Fantasmic is absolutely wonderful!! :D

KevMcNJ
03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
"boffo?"

"boffo" adj. (slang) resoundingly successful or popular.

I dont know where I pulled that one from. I havent said boffo in years!:D

JPL
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
You also could film TV series at the studios and would never have a shortage on live studio audience. If I was an actor and someone said you have to live in Florida to be part of the show, I'd agree in a heartbeat. I bet Tim Allen would have agreed to live in Florida to do Home Improvement if thats where the studios said it was going to be done.

Trust me I was down there working a few shoots and it was nightmare. You had to stop production everytime a thunderstorm rolled by wait for the area to dry so you can match your shots. You spent more time breaking down and resetting up equipment than you did shooting the actual outdoor scenes. There is no advantage to using a soundstage in Florida as opposed to anywhere else in the country. As for the animation yes they could technically still produce animated films but all the brass is in CA and flying them back and forth to check on production is not cost efficient. The only way I could animated feature being produced in Florida again would be relocate the entire unit including Pixar to Florida and it's not going to happen. This problem isn't unique to Disney why do you think production at Universal also ceased?

Imagineer1981
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Consider this as well:

Plymouth Rock Studios is a 14 sound stage and 10 acre back which are being built in MA right now for television production, music videos, and movies. Yes, there are great tax incentives in MA, but no weather is more unpredictable than MA - not to mention our terrifying winters! But, major Hollywood heavy hitters (mostly from Paramount) are financing and developing it as we speak.

Maybe it's time to reevaluate the studios on a small scale. A kid's show or two could really drum up some guest attendance for the park (not that they really need it), especially considering a lot of the mania around a lot of Disney live action shows. I remember that the Mickey Mouse Club caused quite a stir on a daily basis when it was being taped in MGM. It will probably never happen, but you never know (Eisner IS gone!). Just a thought...

Exactly, small productions. Imagine if Hanna was filmed at DHS...wow the park would be packed.

Trust me I was down there working a few shoots and it was nightmare. You had to stop production everytime a thunderstorm rolled by wait for the area to dry so you can match your shots. You spent more time breaking down and resetting up equipment than you did shooting the actual outdoor scenes. There is no advantage to using a soundstage in Florida as opposed to anywhere else in the country. As for the animation yes they could technically still produce animated films but all the brass is in CA and flying them back and forth to check on production is not cost efficient. The only way I could animated feature being produced in Florida again would be relocate the entire unit including Pixar to Florida and it's not going to happen. This problem isn't unique to Disney why do you think production at Universal also ceased?

well again, don't do outdoor shoots :)... I understand the cross country commutes and such, but a real reality in movies/tv now is that Hollywood is too expensive and studios are looking to other locations. Florida cost of living is half of LA and with major art schools being on the east coast and in florida, you could draw some real talent to the Florida studios.

Luv Eeyore
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I, too, miss the animators and all the other working studio components. We used to love the backlot tour, but now, we don't bother. The park doesn't feel like a studio anymore, just a step above a disjointed amusement park without a clear theme (it is Disney, after all, so it is still better than non-Disney parks).

iheartdisney
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I personally love MGM(to me it will always be called that).

I know...I just can't quite wrap my tongue around DHS. It'll always be MGM Studios to me.

JPL
03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
well again, don't do outdoor shoots.

A soundstage is a soundstage so why pay for travel expenses and lodging when you can do the shoots where the talent is. There is a reason why most TV shows are filmed in NY and CA. Also outdoor shoots can be essential to some productions
The reason is that's where the talent is and wants to be. Again I have worked a bunch of different areas in TV production and it's all about budget and deadlines. It is much cheaper to use local crews, producers, and talent. It's also easier to get a copy of the show acrossto air then to send it via courier service across the country.

A show like Hannah Montana being filmed at DHS would be a nightmare for all involved.

Meteora
03-13-2009, 11:52 PM
One of the biggest differences for me is, as others have mentioned, the backlot tour. It used to be a peek into the actual making of movies and television shows. At this point, it just feels sort of fraudulent...a sort of hypothetical "This is how other people, in places that are not here, go about making movies." Very, very different feeling from "Here is a look at how we ourselves actually do filming and production work."

RedHead
03-14-2009, 04:09 PM

Could we please ask them to come back and film here? We could really use those thunderstorms back... (drought warning! drought warning!)

:rain::umbrella: