PDA

View Full Version : computers at the CT

cindchan
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
In just over a week, I'll be staying at the Contemporary. Now normally, I don't take my laptop when I go on a vacation (primarily because I don't like having to take it through security who could care less about damaging it). But I'm still waiting for any info from the grad school I applied to. I constantly check my email at work in the hopes of....something. :wait:

I don't want to miss out on my chance at grad school, in case I need to quickly reply to an email they send. So anyway...to the question.

Does anyone know how much is costs to have internet access? Is it a 24 hour basis, or hourly, or prepay, or what?

Or better yet, is there some kind of computer room that charges hourly, where I can quickly hop in and check my work email? :geek:

Thanks!!

TammiMcMan
03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
The Contemporary did have working computers in the rooms, but unfortunately, they have been phased out. You can connect to wi-fi at a cost of $9.95 per 24 hour period. Not sure if the Contemporary has it available in the guest rooms, but you can find it in many of the public spaces at the resort. Rooms there are wired with high speed internet access, for the same $9.95 per 24 hour period.

You could go to the business center, but that's a more expensive option ($10 per 15 minutes).

antnyh
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
When did they phase the computers out? They are still part of the description on the website. Also I thought they just incorporated that into the room refurb back in 2005/2006? Man that stinks if true, we like uploading all our photos and have them printed when we get home.

cindchan
03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info!

Gives me something to think about. I really hope to hear from the grad school before my trip.

(was kind of hoping that my "what will you celebrate" would be getting accepted.)

TammiMcMan
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
When did they phase the computers out?From what I understand, as the computers broke down, they just weren't being replaced anymore. I imagine the upkeep and maintenance just got too expensive. They removed them towards the end of January.

They are still part of the description on the website.Unfortunately, there are a number of things on the Disney website that are out of date :(.

TammiMcMan
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
(was kind of hoping that my "what will you celebrate" would be getting accepted.)That would be a great reason to celebrate!

jonahbear2006
03-12-2009, 02:34 AM
your other options are to get a blackberry or a phone that you can add internet service to. I check everything on my phone and its sooo convienent. I am tempted to cancel the internet landline at home. My husband had a phone that used internet service and it wasnt a blackberry but we now have them and they are def. worth it. Other option is to purchase a netbook that is small and for about $275 you will have a travel computer that you feel more comfortable with putting through security and it will fit in the hotel safe. You will still have to pay for internet access this way though.

DizneyRox
03-12-2009, 07:03 AM
I just want to mention, the wireless and wired are seperate charges. To the best of my knowledge, they are not the same. If you sign up for the wired in the room and take you laptop down to the lobby, it will probalby not recognize your paid room Internet.

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I really enjoyed having a computer in my room. I wish they wouldn't remove them.

antnyh
03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
This is slightly off topic and I apologize, but I have to vent a little. What really bugs me is the fact that they don't offer free wireless to their guests. I mean come on. We are spending at least $300/night. The local motel 6 gives free internet access. OK I am done now.

TammiMcMan
03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's the number of rooms? I've been to smaller hotels where the wireless is free, but I've been to larger hotels with names like the Marriott and had to pay for wireless. I think in Disney's case, it's also a matter of them not wanting you to spend any extra time in your room ;).

cindchan
03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you everyone for responding!

I decided to not take my laptop along. After all, if it's taking them over SIX weeks to notify me, they can wait ONE week to get a response(if needed). :P

I'm just going to relax and enjoy my Disney trip. Just wish I'd know if I were celebrating getting into grad school.