PDA

View Full Version : What is the Deal w/Le Cellier?

antnyh
03-11-2009, 10:13 AM
OMG. we decided to go to Le Cellier on May 21st for dinner...booked solid all day. I then asked to make it on the 23rd...booked solid all day. I got all my other reservations made without a hitch and had plenty of times to pick from. I have never been to Le Cellier's. Is the restaurant small compared to others or is it just typically that full? WOW...couldn't believe it was booked solid...not even an opening on either of those two days.

:(

KatMark
03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
It is always very tough to get into LeCellier. It is not a big restaurant, but not small either. Just very, very popular. We were never able to get a dinner reservation, only lunch, up until last year when we finally were able to get in for dinner.

SBETigg
03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
It's probably the most popular restaurant at Disney. If you don't book it ninety days out, you have trouble but can occasionally, more often at lunch, get in. It's good, but somewhat overrated.

sassafras
03-11-2009, 11:24 AM
As soon as the 90 day mark (or the old 180) hits, we call to make our ADRs. We usually get into Le Cellier by being VERY flexible. We ask what they have available and that's the first ADR we make. (We may end up eating at a later time than usual.) Then we book everything else around that reservation!:)

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Le Cellier is fairly small, and more some reason it is super-popular. It always books up really, really fast, especially for dinner!

Don't panic, it is good, but not awesome, I wouldn't worry if you can't get in.

azcavalier
03-11-2009, 12:23 PM
We have often wondered why it is so popular. We have been a few times (by being flexible), but it's really just a steak house. Our family actually prefers the Coral Reef and Teppan Edo over Le Cellier.

terri110874
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
If you have your heart set on this one, try calling back a few times and see if anything has opened. My last trip I called about 4 times before I got in. I enjoyed the food here. I love the chocolate moose.

Charlee
03-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Personally, I enjoy Le Cellier, the food is good and the atmosphere is nice but it is not quite as amazing as its popularity led me to believe.

Our family prefer Coral Reef as you can get a strip steak very similar to Le Cellier's and its got the tank that keeps us entertained throughout the meal.

We are not bothering with Le Cellier this trip.

disneyfan328
03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe that I posted this before, but maybe not - anyway - My family was booked to eat at Teppanyaki in September 2007 and to make long story short we got found out 2-3 weeks prior to arrival (during free dining) that the restaurant refurb was taking longer than expected and that it wouldn't be open in time. Needless to say they had several options for us in Epcot, none of which we wanted to try ( I know that a lot of people like the France restuarant and Marrakesh, but with my 3 kids it was a nay) We had heard about Le Cellier and figured Steak would please everyone so I asked if there was any way that we could get in there. ( BTW - This was for our daughters Graduations celebration and the anniversary of when DH And I met) They told me no several times, and then offered me a few different options at resorts. none of which would work for us (we didn't rent a car ect.) 2-3 weeks prior to FD doesn't leave you many options. I finally asked if there wasn't anyway at all that they could get us in to Le Cellier since it was us that was being inconvenienced. I was put on hold and they got us in at 5:15 pm. When we went to eat there that day I was AMAZED at the amt of people being turned away as they didn't have adr's. We were seated within 5 minutes and the restaurant was half empty??????? I just don't get it. there were a few families waiting to be seated, but not enough to fill that many tables, and during the course of our meal there were numerous empty tables everywhere. I wonder if during times like FD if they don't fill the place up since its one of the more expesive ones????:confused:

maybe it was an isolated incident as we didn't really see this anywhere else ( coral reef had a couple empty tables when we went there.) everywhere else that we ate seemed like wall to wall people - anyway just thought I put that out there. Keep trying and you just might have some luck.

the food was good, but I would never pay that much money for a meal:)

javamama
03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
That's not Memorial Day weekend is it, or near that weekend. That's the only thing I can think of, the past two years we've had no problem getting in to Le Cellier. If your set on steaks try Yatchsman, it good they say also, or keep calling back--you'll get something I bet;)

LoriSan
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I tried to get Le Cellier on May 22, but I couldn't. I had to go with May 23, but I called at 7 am on day 90 to get it. It's hard to get into, but keep calling. On my last trip in Nov 08, I called twice a day and finally got one.

SBETigg
03-11-2009, 04:08 PM
When we went to eat there that day I was AMAZED at the amt of people being turned away as they didn't have adr's. We were seated within 5 minutes and the restaurant was half empty??????? I just don't get it. there were a few families waiting to be seated, but not enough to fill that many tables, and during the course of our meal there were numerous empty tables everywhere. I wonder if during times like FD if they don't fill the place up since its one of the more expesive ones????:confused:

the food was good, but I would never pay that much money for a meal:)

It's really not that expensive comparatively. You'll pay about the same almost anywhere around World Showcase and in resorts.

Gator
03-11-2009, 04:22 PM
The Le Cellier atmosphere is nice, but it's better at Marekesh, Akershus, Biergarten, and Rose&Crown. The steaks are good, but I make better ones at home. What makes it so nice is the appetizers (cheddar soup, inparticular), the bread sticks, and the great desserts (maple creme brulee).

CaptSmee
03-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I thought it strange as well. I tried making ADR's about 70 days out and it was booked all day the 2 days I tried as well. I think it's a combo of it being a small restaurant and more people using the dining plan. I've eaten there several times in the past and never had a problem.

RedSoxFan
03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
It took us the 3rd trip to WDW to finally get a reservation to LeCellier. While it was good; it was not great. I like my steak at Raglan Road a lot better. But I am glad that I finally was able to eat at LeCellier.

antnyh
03-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Well it sounds like we aren't missing a whole lot then. We have been to Coral Reef so many times we wanted to try something different. I called today and got in Teppon Edo with no problem. I am actually looking forward to that more than Le Cellier anyway. Teppon Edo looks like it is going to be fun. We have some good hibachi grills around here, but I bet they aren't as good as Disney's chefs.

Hey LoriSan...where are you staying? We'll be there May 17th through the 24th and we will be at the CR.

We haven't been before Memorial Day. I am hoping it won't be that bad until that weekend. We usually go after Memorial Day, but I don't like being there when gay days start. Just a personal conviction of mine.

disneyfan328
03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
It's really not that expensive comparatively. You'll pay about the same almost anywhere around World Showcase and in resorts.

I don't disagree with you at all. While we have never really eaten at the resorts, the cost of some of the meals that we ate ( Le Cellier and Coral Reef for instance) I think are just overly priced and not worth the expense.

For my family in particiular we scrimp and save to even be able to go to Disney so eating like Kings is not on our agenda. We did it once (FD) and don't ge me wrong, we did enjoy it, however after reading how paying rack rate for the rooms makes up the difference and that FD really isn't all its cracked up to be I can see how we really kind of did end up "paying" for it. I still think that we got a lot out of it but if I was paying cash for a meal there is no way I would pay $ 200.00+ for a family of 5 to eat - 2 of which were a 5 & 7 year old who ate off the kids menu for less than 10.00 (our bill at Coral Reef w/o tip) I just think there are better things to spend our money on and we simply can't afford to eat like that. Again, this is just our families situation and if you like to and can afford to eat at all of those expensive places go for it - I am sure you won't be disappointed.

We will be doing the QS plan for this trip as we are just truly excited and grateful to be going back at all with things being the way they are with the economy.

jcvalenti
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Well it sounds like we aren't missing a whole lot then. We have been to Coral Reef so many times we wanted to try something different. I called today and got in Teppon Edo with no problem. I am actually looking forward to that more than Le Cellier anyway. Teppon Edo looks like it is going to be fun. We have some good hibachi grills around here, but I bet they aren't as good as Disney's chefs.

There are TONS of threads about Le Celier on this board where I've gone off about Le Celier versus Coral Reef and others ... but to summarize my prior posts: I personally prefer both Coral Reef and Teppan Edo to Le Celier.

Le Celier is a nice place and fun to dine at, but the food is nothing particulary special, and it certainly isn't worth the hassle to try to get a table.

Enjoy !

RocknBev
03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I love the food and the atmosphere at Le Cellier as do many of my friends so I guess it is just personal preference. You do have to call early to get an ADR so most of the guest at WDW agree that it is a favorite.

It used to be if we didn't plan our trip to WDW 180 days ahead of time...we wouldn't go to Le Cellier...which was a bummer because DH and I typically don't travel that way. I like the 90 day rule much better....I have a better chance of getting the Le Cellier!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
03-13-2009, 09:50 AM
We ate at Le Cellier last week for dinner. This was our second dinner there and I'm not rushing back. I'm really not sure what all the hoopla is about for Le Cellier. Its good steak, but..I have made really good steaks at home too. The cheese soup is fantastic, I would go just for the soup and dessert (maple creme brulee).. the prices were very high. In our opinion it just isn't all its cracked up to be. My husband who does none of the ADR's couldn't believe when I told him how hard it was to secure a ressie at Le Cellier. He couldn't understand why. As I said. Its good. But not knock your socks off, get up at 6:45am to be the first on the phone for a ressie good. Not at all.

DisneyDoug2
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
This year was our second time eatling here and it won't be on our list the next time we go to WDW. The food is no better then Outback or the Texas Road House but at Disney prices! But I have to say the cheese soap and the desserts make up for the short comings of the main coarse! Teppan Edo would be a better choice!

antnyh
03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks again for the replies from everyone. Not to brag, but I fix a mean steak at home and it is very hard to find a place to beat it and especially for me to spend as much money as Disney charges.

lockedoutlogic
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Le Cellier is good but completely overpriced....

This is just one of those Disney "things" that everyone gets fixated on and talks up into oblivion....

Chef Mickey's, the Polynesian, Caribbean Beach....

there are alot of things that people get obsessed with in WDW where the love far outweighs the substance

LoriSan
03-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey LoriSan...where are you staying? We'll be there May 17th through the 24th and we will be at the CR.

I'll be at POP May 21-26. If you see a little boy laughing hysterically :thedolls: while running away from his exhausted Mommy, that's me

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
We have always had trouble getting into LeCellier. We have tried it a few times and it has been hit or miss. A couple of times we had GREAT meals and the others.....just OK. I'm not sure we will try again for sometime. There are other places that seem to be right on every time.

buzznwoodysmom
03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
We have often wondered why it is so popular. We have been a few times (by being flexible), but it's really just a steak house. Our family actually prefers the Coral Reef and Teppan Edo over Le Cellier.

Your post is exactly what I was going to post. We tried Le Cellier twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. Both times I left wondering what all the hoopla is for. We didn't like the cheese soup at all, and I love any kind of soup. This stuff tasted horrible. The only thing I thought was fantastic were the bread sticks. Other than that we make steaks at home that taste much better. In my opinion its average at best. We much predered Coral Reef and Teppan Edo, with Teppan Edo being our favoirte.

FenwayGirl
03-13-2009, 02:53 PM
We have lunch ressies for May 18th. There were no dinner time reservation available for the week that we are at WDW....

antnyh
03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
That is the week we are there. I know it is a ways off, but be sure to let us know how lunch was there.

We have lunch ressies for May 18th. There were no dinner time reservation available for the week that we are at WDW....

joonyer
03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
We've eaten there once, several years ago. It really wasn't that hard to get our ADR as I remember. It was in February.

The meal we had steaks was good to very good, but it was not "to die for" - super "fantabulous" - "Oh my Gosh!" - "we've got to eat again" great. I felt that way about California Grill, but not Le Cellier.
The atmosphere, you are literally in a "cellar", was kind of interesting for a change, but not nearly as cool as Coral Reef or even San Angel Inn (which does not have as good food.)

Having been there once was enough for me. I don't know why it is so "crazy" popular. You can get as good or better steaks at a lot of good steak houses. I think that it's reputation outstrips its actual quality, not that its bad,, like I said, it's good or even very good. But it is not the best restaurant at WDW, not even close. But you would think it was from the way people go crazy trying to get an ADR there.

I would go there again if it was easy enough to get a table, but it is not worth waiting on hold for hours or making umpteen calls to try get an ADR there.

kathymk616
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
My family also thinks Le Cellier is very overrated. I suspect that part of the popularity is that, especially for families with picky eaters, it is the only "normal/regular American food" sit-down restaurant. (I use quotes not because steaks are "normal" food to me--I'm a vegetarian--but it is for a lot of families.) I mean, is it easier to have a meal with a kid who is used to things like cheese soup and steak, or one who is crying because they don't know what couscous is and they don't want to try it? I know that there are a lot of folks who love Le Cellier, and that it is genuinely popular amongst them, but don't ignore the fact that it is the "normal" option in Epcot compared to most of the other sit-downs.

Checkers
03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
:mickey:We "like" LeCellier and will probably try for an ADR in Sept. but if nothing is available, we won't be heartbroken. When we first started going there (about 10 yrs. ago), it was a must for us every trip but with its increase in popularity, we have found that both the food and service is hit or miss.

disneynarula
03-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I also thought it was way overrated. I really don't understand the appeal. We had so many nicer meals at WDW.

jonahbear2006
03-15-2009, 11:06 PM
We were told that the hardest to get into restaurants arent actually booked but that the concierge lounges have openings that they hold for club level guests and that this is why the harder to get into restaurants are nearly impossible. You almost have to get club level to recieve this and even then, it has to be at the resort that holds this restaurant's openings or there has to be a resort willing to switch an open reservation for the one you are wanting. politics.

AdventurerKim
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I called Saturday (90 days out!) and got Le Cellier dinner reservations with no problem and at the time I wanted! It's true about Le Cellier that if you don't call 90 days out, it's tough to get dinner reservations there. We walked up for lunch on Thanksgiving day one year and got a table immediately, but that was only for two.

antnyh
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
IMO, this isn't true. We always stay club level and we can't get reservations if they aren't available. I think the difference is the fact that the concierge can keep checking while we are "playing" and then let us know if there is a cancellation. At least that is what has happened for us in the past.

We were told that the hardest to get into restaurants arent actually booked but that the concierge lounges have openings that they hold for club level guests and that this is why the harder to get into restaurants are nearly impossible....

jonahbear2006
03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
IMO, this isn't true. We always stay club level and we can't get reservations if they aren't available. I think the difference is the fact that the concierge can keep checking while we are "playing" and then let us know if there is a cancellation. At least that is what has happened for us in the past.

well, we were actually told this by the concierge on the club level.

DANAM
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Keep trying we went that same week last year and I didn't get dinner. So I called every day on my way home from work. It seems a little nuts but we ate there before and really enjoyed it. Finally after about 3 weeks of calling we got an 8pm reservation. Yeah I had to call about 20 times but I got it.

Keasmom
03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
:blush:

Their Cheese Soup and Pretzel bread make them a very popular place. I took a lunch reservation just to get in and the food was really good, really, really good and I am a picky foodie. I have had maybe 20 steaks that great in my life, BUT, the dinner menus is better and the steak was really small at lunch. The bread and soup make it such a hit, and that steak. Keep trying, call two times a day, ask again at checkin, and if you really want it, try just walking in and waiting. The concierge at our resort said most restaurants have about 15% no shows, so walk ins CAN get seated.

Keasmom
03-17-2009, 11:50 AM
:mickey:We "like" LeCellier and will probably try for an ADR in Sept. but if nothing is available, we won't be heartbroken. When we first started going there (about 10 yrs. ago), it was a must for us every trip but with its increase in popularity, we have found that both the food and service is hit or miss.

The service quotient is true. Since it was just my daughter and I, and I refused toi offer of wine, our server was a bit snippy and very short with us. We got our order in quick, and she had bread and salad on the table in minutes, she did ask us to hurry, (I did NOT) and she mentioned they had a large group we were preventing the seating of. We relaxed and enjoyed to food, I made a complaint to WDW about the service. But, that steak was worth it.