PDA

View Full Version : Best on-site with 2 kids under 3?

tdk316
03-10-2009, 10:24 PM
We'll be traveling to WDW in December with a 6 month-old and a 2.5 year-old; where should we stay? I've looked at Poly, Contemporary, POR and Wilderness Cabins. Our son goes to bed really early so we're looking for the best situation. I've seen parents by the smaller pools at POR with baby monitors at night; does that really work? What do parents at Poly do? How about at Contemporary? Do people just get two rooms? How are the cabins? This will be our first time traveling as a family so it's a totally new experience for my DH and I. We have visited WDW many times and always stayed on-site, but never as parents. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pirate Granny
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Have you considered the family suites at All Star Music...it's more expensive than two rooms though...we've been lucky enough to have two connecting rooms...so baby went down in one and we could keep the door ajar and visit in the other room...We're going to find out in May as we'll be in the same room at the Pop...2 adults and one 2-1/3 yr old....we plan to put the metal bar in the door and sit outside and enjoy the warm weather until the little one falls asleep...at least that is our plan...time will tell if it'll work or not.
:pirate:

Mousemates
03-11-2009, 12:15 AM
with kids that age I'm not sure my pick would be the FW cabins...for while we love the cabins, they are kind of isolated and unless you rent a golf cart getting around (with two your size) using the internal bus system and resort to park busses would be a bit tiresome.

If you've got the funds the monorail resorts are extremely convenient and the rooms are spacious...however at that age a room is a room is a room to your kids....just like a pool is a pool is a pool. Over the years we've stayed at many different resorts...and until just the last few years when our kids hit the teen years...the honest truth is that they were as happy at the all-stars with the kind of over the top theming as they were anyplace else.

I say that to say this...with kids the ages of yours (unless you stay at monorail resort for conveninience) all the resorts are pretty much equal to them...(except with the possible exception of a savannah view at the AKL...which the 2.5er would certainly enjoy) they won't enjoy the poly or GF anymore or anyless than the Pop....as your kids grow and your space needs change in the future you will have other vasriable to deal with.... but on this trip those factors have not yet come into play so just pick the one that you most like and enjoy.

disneyers
03-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I feel your "early bedtime for the kiddos" pain! :mickey: Mine are 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 now and able to sleep in the same room as my DH and I (and go to bed later), but for those first few years, we needed a bedroom with a door that closed so we could put the baby(s) to bed and still be able to stay up until at least 8 or 9!

I would absolutely go with 2 rooms or a suite. If you can afford a monorail resort, go for it. I don't think you'll have any problems with 2 rooms at a Value resort though. We stayed at a value for the first time in December and found it to be just fine for our young family.

I do agree that the FW cabins are spaced out, so you'll either need to count on renting a golf cart (an extra expense of about $50 a day), walking a LOT, taking an internal bus to the "main" bus that takes you to the parks, or bringing your bikes with child seats to get around. BUT they might be a great option for you. Bedroom with queen bed (for you), bunk bed (lower bunk for your oldest) and pack n play in the closet (pulled out of the closet and set up for the baby.) Also, if your kids are light sleepers - ours were- there is the full size murphy bed in the living area, so you don't have to share a room if you don't want to.

ETA- We did two rooms at the Poly last year for Easter and LOVED it!

Have a great trip!!:mickey:

jonahbear2006
03-12-2009, 02:27 AM
we always just pushed our kids til they would pass out and they always really enjoy it. I guess some kids dont deal well with this but we never had problems. Contemporary would be my choice. you can walk home from MK. Its the best option with little people. Wilderness lodge is a great choice and a bit cheaper, too. I wouldnt stay far away from the parks with babies. Its just too hard to do busses at bedtime, esp. with a stroller. you will be thankful you spent a bit more and stayed close to MK.

tikiman
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Our son went to WDW in 2006 and he was 22 months. We stayed at the Polynesian club level. Having the lounge for him to watch cartoons, snack or watch fireworks was great. Also the pool there has zero entry so he could stay where it was shallow. Access to the parks is the best from that resort. We are in the MK in 10 minutes and over to Epcot in 15. That made it easy to get back to the room when he was going to crash for a nap. At night we could let him sleep while we sat on the patio and watched the fireworks or Electrical Water Pageant. There were fun kids activities all day around the resort and now they are doing camp fires and movies on the beach for Polynesian and GF guests in between the two resorts. He also loved playing on the beach. He was also a big fan of ‘Ohana for dinner with all the games they play and the character breakfast.

If you want to read my trip report with photos send me a message.

Dulcee
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Ditto on above, if you can do a resort with the monorail its well worth it for traveling with the two little ones. Also being on the lagoon gives you the ability to enjoy the fireworks and lagoon light show while the little guys are sleeping.

Tigerinvestigator
03-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Yep, take it from someone who has taken all three DD's when they were that age, the monorail resorts make life soooo much easier.:thumbsup:

GoofyMom09
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
When my daughter was 9 months old we stayed at the Polynesian and it was GREAT to be on the monorail. I don't think it is really necessary to get two rooms, unless your kids are extremely light sleepers. They will be tuckered out from the parks. I would say either Polynesian or the Contemporary just for the convenience of the monorail.

I would not stay at FW with 2 young kids. They have an internal bus system that you have to ride to get on the other bus. Therefore, you would be getting on and off a bus twice which is really hard with two little ones.

Yvette
03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm not really saying anything new, just agreeing with prior posts.

With kids that young I would definately do a monorail resort, Poly or Contemporary. Chances are you will be spending most of your time at MK and the monorail can't be beat. Poly has a zero entry pool, I don't know about the Contemporary.

I personally wouldn't do FW with little kids. 10-12 year olds that like to camp, yeah, but not the little ones.

When our DD was little if she went to sleep earlier than us, we just sat on the balcony to enjoy our adult beverages...it became such an ingrained habit that now that we have an empty nest, we still do that. :marg:

Have fun!

florida girl
03-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I suggest the All Star suites, two room option, or my biggest suggestion is a 1 bedroom Vacation Club villa. You will also have a full kitchen with this option and I'm sure that would come in handy with storing baby food or milk and juice for the toddler. There is also a high chair in your room and a full washer/dryer. You can pay cash for these rooms through Disney, or a cheaper option is to rent the room from a DVC member. Do a google search for renting points from DVC member and you will find websites that do this.
We traveled in Sept with a 2.5 year old and 5 month old and again in Dec w/ the them being a few months older and stayed in a 1BR at Saratoga and loved it! The baby was in a pack and play up by the door, toddler in the living room pull out and we had our own bedroom:)

baby minnie's mommy
03-15-2009, 05:59 PM
How about getting a room with a balcony? Then you can sit outside with a snack or late supper while they sleep. One with a fireworks view would be even better!

What we sometimes do is turn off the TV and lights till DD is sound asleep, then turn them back on.

tdk316
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I appreciate it!