PDA

View Full Version : Medical Career Salary Question

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
For people who are in the medical field, which careers listed here offer the highest salary potential?

Medical Billing and Coding
Pharmacy Technician
Medical Transcription
Ultrasound Technician
Medical Assistant
Phlebotomy Technician
Health Care Administration
Radiology Technician

Thanks!

magicofdisney
03-10-2009, 08:33 PM
While I've never held any of these positions, I did work with a someone who did Medical Billing and Coding and the salary was only average for an office worker. I would say the technician jobs hold higher potential for the most part.

I also worked with a Health Care Administrator and I believe his salary was around $50,000. This was nearly 13 yrs ago and he had an MBA with a few years experience.

TheMartellFamily
03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
I am a Medical Assistant and the pay I recieve is more than a CNA. For me it is not the pay I make it is the love that I have for the postition I work in.

mrsgaribaldi
03-10-2009, 11:56 PM
My guess would be Ultrasound tech and Radiology (xray) tech but I don't know for sure. I think they would have the most schooling.

Tink1
03-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Radiology Technician and Ultrasound Technician would be the highest in the hospitals I worked at.

I was a Medical Technologist in a previous life and the Phlebotomists we had did not make much at all. (not nearly enough for what they did)

Nanc

MNNHFLTX
03-11-2009, 02:01 PM
My guess would be Ultrasound tech and Radiology (xray) tech but I don't know for sure. I think they would have the most schooling.
I would have to agree with this. Plus in our neck of the woods (and elsewhere, I believe) physical therapists are in very high demand and make good money (if you don't mind going to school longer).

princessjojo
03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Radiology Technician and Ultrasound Technician would be the highest in the hospitals I worked at.
Same thing at my hospital. Most of the phelebotomist are only there as a bridge to another medical career path. I was also a Pharmacy Tech in a long term care pharmacy, and I was board certified, something that wasn't required here in NC, but is in many states. The pay wasn't too great there either. More than minimum wage, but not a live on my own income. I think when I left 2yrs ago I was making $11.50-$12/hr. I too used it as a bridge to nursing.

garymacd
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
This is not a direct reply to the question, but an aside.

Avoid any training school that has an Info-mercial. With any education, there is no guarantee of employment, but with an unregulated, non-acredited educational facility, there will probably be even less chance of employment.

Advnt05
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
You should look into getting an RN. My wife is an ICU rn and works part time at the local hospital (PRN). By working two nights a week from 7 pm-7 am, she takes home around $45-$50 K a year. She gets paid more for being PRN since they fill you in gaps. If she gets called in last minute, she makes even more.

Tinkerbella
03-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I work in a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist. From what I've seen Ultrasound techs make the most from what you've listed.

However, if you're looking for the big bucks look into Nuclear Med Tech. The schooling for this program usually requires that you already are licensed in some aspect of the medical field. The most logical step before nuclear tech would be rad tech. They make pretty good money too!

Also, take into account that any of these positions offer good money. Especially if you're willing to pull overtime :thumbsup:

Good luck in whatever you choose! I LOVE working in the medical field! It's very rewarding and you get to work with a wide variety of patients:)

MickeyMousse
03-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I've been a medical biller/coder for over 20 years, working in private practices, hospitals and private billing companies. Over the years I have come to specialize in Gastroenterology and Psychiatry, which has made me more money, but by no means "loads".

However, unlike many of the positions you have listed, I can work from home, which is what I do now that I have children. When they are older, I might go back to the hospital or a doctor's office but for the time being, I can work and be with my kids at the same time. :thumbsup:

DawsonAR
03-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Depending on the position, Health care Administration can pay very well. However, administration covers a wide range of positions from secretary to CEO.