PDA

View Full Version : How often do you visit WDW?

Gregandmel
03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I was curious to know how often people take a vacation to WDW. I know if you live close to Florida then it would seem reasonable that your trips would be more often, but if it's a long enough trip that you have to fly, how often do you visit? We went in October and my kids are dying to go again, but it was over $5000 to go (of course, we splurged on lodging somewhat) so trying to go each year, or even every other year seems out of the question (for our budget anyways). Just curious! Thanks! (I have already started a savings fund for our next trip - just seems like it will take forever to get the funds again!)

Missy_Mouses_Dad
03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
We have gone every year for the last 10 years. The dw books the trip, and watches this site and disney's for specials. Most of the time she winds up getting our rooms for $59-$79 per night (value). She has been using Magical Journey's, and they will give updates for specials when announced or available. I think that for hotel, park hoppers, flights, and car rental for 10 days for 3 it's usual in the $2,000-$2,500 range tops. Of course, the dining plan would be on top of that if chosen. I hope that helps. :mickey:

medic9016
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
We do 2 or 3 , 7 to 10 day trips a year. We stay at Fort Wilderness in our own travel trailer. We do have APs and do alot of our own cooking.

elmjimmlm
03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
We go every year but our last trip was in Dec. and we are going again in Aug.
I said that we would not go this year and try some place else but we couldn't fight it...:blush:

SBETigg
03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
We go every other year, generally, but that may change now that the DS is headed for college in September.

pandkx3
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
We usually do every other year. In 2007, we went twice. As the kids get older, I think we may be more inclined to take vacations to different destinations. Thinking of a disney cruise next. We are going back to the "world" this June for 9 days:mickey:

PetefromRI
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
We like to go at least twice a year,this year maybe once because of the economy.When the kids were small we only went a couple of times and we rarely ever took any vacations because times were always tight.Now that the kids are gone we can afford to do alot more and I'm hoping to take them all to the Poly someday,on me.It's amazing how affordable a Disney trip can be with two adults compared to lets say the Islands or even South Florida.We won't ever stay in a Motel 6 type motel.I'd rather stay home.We like the amenities of a Disney resort or a real nice vacation villa type resort.Even Disney's Pop Century works for us.

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
As you can tell by my signature we have gone once a year, sometimes a little sooner....sometimes a little later, for the last nine years. When we first went it was around the $5000.00 range for four of us. Since that first time we have spent less and less each time. The kids have grown up so souvenirs are not soooo necessary as they used to be. We have switched to value resorts all the time. We are going in June buy4/get 3 add 3, so it's helpful to look for specials, and it's costing around $2,000.00 for room and tickets. Southwest has the best airfare we've been able to find. We never do dining plan....waaaay too much food for us. I'm expecting to spend around $3,100.00 for everything for 10 days:thumbsup: We're not rich people but Disney is where our priority is(right now). A deck off the kitchen and a bigger family room will come later when the kids are grown!:mickey:

bshaw96
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
4 years between our 1st and 2nd family trip. Then 2 years until the 3rd. Then 2 years in a row, and we are actually contemplating a "mom day only" trip the end of this year after our family trip in April. Guess it would be cheaper for us to pick up and move down there at this rate :thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Several times a year. But we are DVC members and AP holders, so that saves a bundle in costs. Plus, we can get cheap flights down there from the NYC area. Tables in Wonderland saves us a lot on food - but we almost always eat b'fast (and the occasional other meal) in our room.

Oh, and we spend much of July in the LA area, so Disneyland is a frequent stop for us too! :blush:

Tinkerfreak
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
We have gone once a year since our first family trip in 2002. A couple of years ago DH and I also took a trip with just the 2 of us in addition to our family trip. We always say we are going just one more year and then taking a couple of years off but when we get home we miss it so much we start planning another trip.

GrmGrninGost
03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
For the past several years, we have gone once and sometimes twice a year. We have varied from deluxe to moderate to value resorts as finances at the time dictate. I have not been unhappy with any of the resorts. In fact, POP Century is a favorite! We have however come to the conclusion we will not come and stay off property again. We will just continue to save until we can stay at a WDW resort!

tadshome
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
We try to go every year but if we cannot afford it we take a short break in DLRP to get my Disney fix ;)

javamama
03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
This is our third year in a row as a GG trip w/my family it's part of our Christmas gift from my parents every year. The room we stay cost alot, but we have alot of people in there 10 last year, and 8 this year so it evens out. We all pay for our own DDP, and we treat my parents on that between my two sisters, and myself. Before we started going every year, I went w/dh a few years in a row and before that I went w/my parents a few times as a kid.

Disneyfan28
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
We go every year for 10 days..last year was a bonus we went in May & Dec:party:. But like others have said you can always find a good deal. We stayed off property very reasonably for several years...but after discovering Magical Journeys and Wendy we will probably never stay off property again!! If anyone can get you a great deal its gonna be Magical Journeys...give them a try you wont be disappointed:mickey:

joonyer
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
We're only 5 hours driving time away. Still, we only manage a trip about every 18-24 months.
There's the cost, and all our other family vacations and activities, that keep us from going more often. WDW is not the only place we go on vacation.

dtootsie42
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
We usually go every other year. However our upcoming trip will be our last one for about 5 years due to the fact that all three of our daughters will be in College. Will one will be graduating in June of 2010, but that still leaves 2...I was thinking we could go for a graduation gift and my husband said no way...now to plan the seeds in my Disney crazy daughters mind :laughing:

Soul_Power
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
My boyfriend and I have only gone to WDW once, but we have decided that Disney will be a every other year trip for us. We'll be back in December of this year, and in 2011 we're going to do a land and sea vacation (our first Disney cruise). I would love to go every year, but I have to come to some sort of agreement with him, so every other year it is! We're in our early 20s and fresh out of college, so I don't think going every year would even be possible for us (money-wise) even if he did agree to it. :mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
We went in 2004, again in 2007, and planning on 2010, so while we didn't really plan up front to go every 3 years, that's looks to be our plan from here on out for us.

In 2007 5 nights at Movies cost us $2,035 "tax - tag - and - title" for every dime we spent from departure of our driveway until our return 5 days later (we drove). Two nights in Gatlinburg cost us $1,054, and 5 nights in Panama City Beach cost us $1,120 just for the hotel, so I think Disney is a much better value than a lot of the places we go.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
We went about once a year when we got started, then eased into twice a year. Now we seem to have fallen into three times a year, and are completely comfortable with our addiction! :blush: Can't they just let me move into Cindy's room? :cloud9:

cfoshe
03-09-2009, 11:31 PM
we go every year, but took an extra this past year for christmas. We normaly drive down, with 5, that cost us this Dec. about 250 in gas. Add a hotel and food both ways, that runs up about 500. We general stay at PQR for five. with tickets, hoppers, and food plan for 5 days, its about 3500 to 4000.

We try to watch for the cheapest time, Usually the first or second week of Aug its starts Value time again. With year we are going on the buy 4 get 3 free deal which has saved us about $600.

Tink#64
03-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Our first trip with DS's then 4 & 6, we couldn't believe all the people that we talked to that said that they visit WDW every year! This was the first trip for any of us! We took the next year off doing a kitchen remodel & a lesser expensive vacation & then we returned to WDW for 3 years in a row! We all love it, but then felt like DS's were feeling it as old hat & "Do we have to do this & that?", so we decided that from now on we're visiting WDW every other year with something different in between. Currently we are alternating WDW with a beach vacation! We do other smaller trips during the year & camp as well! But I have to say, the years that we don't visit WDW, we are just chomping at the bit to get back! Last year after not visiting the previous year, we really appreciated everything the "World" had to offer! I think it makes it that much better for us! :thumbsup:

AHOTE
03-10-2009, 01:02 AM
I've gone at least once a year since 1971. This year will be the exception. With no job for the last 18 months and no real prospects, I can't justify the added expense this year. I always do the Food & Wine festival and I'll sure miss that. Hopefully things will change for next year. :fingers:

dmosher
03-10-2009, 01:57 AM
When we lived in the US, DW and I went pretty much once a year (that was cutting it down a bit for me since pre-marriage I was going much more often). Now that we live in New Zealand and the flight is A LOT LONGER, we decided to go once every two years or so. Unfortunately we are both WDW addicts and have not been able to make it more that 1 year with out heading back to THE WORLD. We even bought into the vacation club AFTER we moved here. yes, we are hopeless Disney Nuts! So, I guess like it or not we still go once per year!
:pipes:
D

vizsla
03-10-2009, 05:11 AM
We go to WDW once a year for a 12-14 days each trip. We ave been going to WDW every year for the past 15 years and sometimes sneaking in a extra trip when possible.

BMan62
03-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Since Sept. 2003, no less than once every 16 months. If we find unbelievable deals, more often.

lockedoutlogic
03-10-2009, 07:44 AM
2-4 times a year....consistently 3....

Lived in Orlando...still rent a house there....in many ways, it's still home

Have to drive around southern orange county to get some return on our property taxes:thedolls:

CanadianWDWFan
03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
We usually go every year. We will almost always drive the 20+ hours to get to WDW. For us it is quite a bit cheaper to drive than fly. We are at the point where our boys (10 and 5) don't want to go anywhere else. We finally bought into DVC so we can stay exactly where we want to every year.

We make the most out of the drive down an really consider it part of our trip.

Jeniflower
03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
We go once a year also. this year will be our fifth. Scotland is too far away. evrey year we say, next year we'll do something else and then by Dec book for the next year. :mickey:

Mickey91
03-10-2009, 09:40 AM
We try to go once a year. We may not make it this year though.:confused:

GrumpyFan
03-10-2009, 10:14 AM
We were going about twice a year when we lived in GA. But, since we've moved to TX, it's gone to about once a year. I'm leaning toward not going this year though, because I just don't see the value. They haven't really added anything new that I'm interested in, and it seems like they've cut back on some things too. So, maybe next year, although, my family is trying to convince me that we need to go back this year.

Insanity Clause
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
My husband was always a Disney nut and had been several times prior to us getting married in 1997. He wanted to go there on our honeymoon but I didn't because I just didn't 'Get it'. Now I do. We went in 2001 when I was 5 months pregnant with my 3rd child...we have five in all. Since then we just haven't been able to go back until this year. We just decided to do it and will be there in April and we discussed it and since the kids are getting older 10,9,7,4,2 we want to have some memories with them so we are trying to do this on a yearly basis now. Next year we want to go in Decemeber to experience Christmastime at the World.

kaylamag
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I went once as a child and I took my family for the first time in January of 2008. My plan was to go back in 2010, however, DH car keeps breaking down, so far we've put $2,600 into it. We only have 2 payments left. We are probably going to have to trade it in. I had wanted to start saving for Disney with the extra money from not having a payment anymore, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. When i was a kid, after that first trip, my mom had wanted to take us back in five years and it never happened. I am afraid that that is going to happen to us too! (exspecially since my DH doesn't really want to go back)

BamaJenn
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
When we were FL residents we went at least once a month up until the time my son was born. Then we took 10 months off before we went again and took him for his first trip. (Man I miss those days)

Now we have a promise to ourselves to go once a year... no matter how our finances are etc. We just get so much out of our trips that we know we can always find a way to do it. Promotions like the buy 4 get 3 certainly help!

Disney Doll
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
We've gotten in the habit of going once per year and we plan to stick to that. However, we are not paying $5000 per trip. I usually get plane tickets for under $300 a person and we go in off season which also saves. We never stay deluxe except that my parents recently bought into DVC so we are staying deluxe with them on our next trip. We eat mostly counter service and stay only a week.

senderella
03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
We definitely go 2 times a year, but I have been known to throw in an extra weekend trip or two around MNSSHP or MMCP. I can't get enough. I would go every month if possible.

pdrlkr
03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
We try to go a least one time per year. :mickey:

Kisobel
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
1-2 times a year

kate

tjstrike
03-13-2009, 04:18 AM
I believe this is our 8th year in a row, most years we go twice because we buy annual passes. We are also dvc members and are going to start staying at ft. wilderness as to go multiple times for less points and money. Squeezing in at just under 3,000 this trip w/ qs ddp.

brownie
03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Not often enough!

It'll be 5 years this fall since our last trip to Disney World. We'll hopefully be back there next year, depending on the economy and when the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens at Universal Studios.

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 09:59 AM
We usually go a few times a year, but I think we will be changing that to one or two per year.

PrettyMinnie
03-13-2009, 12:53 PM
This can be summed up quite easily.

Whenever we can! :minnie:

cindchan
03-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I try to go every other year. I just can't afford to constantly go down. It just costs too much. A two week tour in Europe (including airfare) is about the same cost, or cheaper, than one week at Disney.

Still....every other year. ^_^ And a different resort each time!