PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with kids anxiety

TheVBs
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I just found the most awesome book to help my DD deal with her anxiety. I came across it completely by chance. Oddly enough I was actually looking for a Disney book! How magical is that?! It's called:

What to do when you worry too much: A kids' guide to overcoming anxiety by Dawn Huebner

The response my DD8 has already had to it has been amazing! Obviously it's not a magic bullet, we've still got a lot of work to do. But, they've worded it in ways that she can completely relate to. She'll say, "Yep!" and "That's how I feel!" And it's wonderful just to hear that. It's got great strategies that make sense to kids too.

I don't know how many of you have kids that are dealing with anxiety, either alone or due to trauma or illness, but I wanted to share this! :mickey:

DawsonAR
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks so much. I will pass this along to some parents that I know.

TheVBs
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
You're welcome! :) We've been through so much, I love to be able to help someone else when I can.

Mickey'sGirl
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks! Both of my boys suffer from anxiety (related to their Autism). I am going to pick up this book for sure! :thumbsup:

wire0monkey
03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you for the suggestion! My oldest is a high strung little guy.

I think this could help. I'm going to buy it and read it with him.

Thanks!

afowl1017
03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Very interesting....I am going to look into this book too! My oldest boy is high strung too and sometimes I am not sure I am handling it in a way that is beneficial to him. Thanks!

Keasmom
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
While my daughter is not high strung, she is mildly ADD/ADHD and we have found that a liquid supplement called Attention, from a local health food store, in combination with a 1200mg Fish Oil (Omega 3-6-9) daily works wonders. She is calm, attentive and easily able to handle the 9 course curriculum at her school, which includes Latin. Those have also had some effect on "high anxiety" students. I do not advocate medication (prescription) unless absolutely beeded, but holisitcs have some great stuff and it is generally beneficial for more then one application.