PDA

View Full Version : Maelstrom.....Be Honest

WDWRox
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
When you're finished riding Maelstrom in Norway, and be honest now....... when the doors open to the room with the Norway movie, do you walk all the way through and exit back to World Showcase, or do you actually stay and watch the movie? I'm always taking the former option.

Mousemates
03-07-2009, 10:40 PM
we watch the movie about every fourth trip.

Polynesian Dweller
03-07-2009, 10:44 PM
The poll needed a fourth category I think. Something like I stop occasionally. I'm always with the same person so stopping and watching dosen't depend on that but rather whether we want to see it this time. After all these years we don't need to see it every trip.

JPL
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I run out as fast a possible :bolt:

Celestria
03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
i love the ride... i just hate the exit style. so by the time the doors open i'm ready to keep moving

kemps@wdw
03-07-2009, 11:13 PM
:blush: I gotta come clean! we have always taken the latter. However, as my DD has gotten older, she has become a huge "Deadliest Catch" fan, and now says we have to watch the movie to get a feel for the Norwegian history of fishing! And...I'm OK w/that. At the very least, I'll finally be able to watch the movie!:shrug:

Georgesgirl1
03-07-2009, 11:17 PM
My mom always says, "If your going to ride their ride, you need to watch their movie." So obviously if I am with my mom, we watch the movie, but if it DH and me, we pass on through.:blush:

Seasonscraps
03-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I run out as fast a possible :bolt:

:ditto:

dtootsie42
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
When I'm just with hubby we stay and watch. Depending on which daughter is with us determines if we will stay and watch.

vorpalswrd
03-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I've been on it 5+ times. I think this next time I will sit and watch (especially since I heard it is 5 minutes). I really do love the ride so I think I owe it at least one viewing.

Tigerinvestigator
03-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I agree with Mousemates. We usually watch the movie once every four or five years. (sometimes it is because we get there as they are closing the exit doors and have to stay).

DisneyFr33k
03-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Man, reading all you good folks who stay makes me feel like a smuck! :blush:

We have always walked straight through :walk:, but have felt kind of guilty about it!

Ian
03-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I run out as fast a possible :bolt::ditto:

But not out of rudeness or anything. It's just that I've seen the movie like a dozen times and, well, it's kinda lost its luster by now.

Besides, I'm more interested in rushing out to go shopping in the HH store!

kathiep
03-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I have always wanted to stay and watch - partly out of interest but also partly out of guilt. But DH would never stay. Maybe in August, I can plan to be here at the height of the heat during the day and convince him to stay in where it's cool.

Dulcee
03-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Every year my Dad would say lets stay and watch and ever year he'd follow myself, my mom and my sister right out those doors. :blush: We watched it once, many moons ago, that was enough.

TheVBs
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
We always walk right though. We've never seen the movie. Actually, we've never seen any of the movies there. It's not that we think they won't be good, it's just that there's so much to see there it's hard to imagine using some of our time there to watch movies. :blush:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-08-2009, 09:49 AM
My DD doesn't like the ride, but likes the movie :confused: so we watch it a couple of times :confused: while DH goes on the ride.

So, we've watched it enough for all of you! :thumbsup:

prttynpnk
03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
i love the ride... i just hate the exit style. so by the time the doors open i'm ready to keep moving

It kind of ruins the end of the ride for me- we reach the dock and I'm already feeling too guilty about my planned sprint past the movie- I can't even make eye-contact with the castmembers! I almost feel guilted into buying expensive Hansen products because I dissed their movie! :blush:

iheartdisney
03-08-2009, 10:12 AM
My mom always says, "If your going to ride their ride, you need to watch their movie."

I used to feel this way, when the attraction first opened. And I used to feel embarassed for the CM's as people rushed out so they wouldn't be "stuck" having to learn about the country. And I'll never forget the first time I walked through without staying to watch and how awkward I felt. But now? I've seen it sooooo many times. And by now, I think that's how most people feel. If you've seen 100 times, you've seen it 100 TIMES!

iheartdisney
03-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Actually, we've never seen any of the movies there.

Oh but you really need to! They are all worth seeing, at least once. Breathtaking scenery.

jcvalenti
03-08-2009, 10:23 AM
We ride Maelstrom a LOT ... and I think we've only sat for the movie one time. I was actually thinking about hanging around to watch it on this next trip with my 9 year old ... he's of an age where things like that are interesting to him, and he loves learning new "facts" about other countries.

d_m_n_n
03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
We stay, but only because every trip DSs are at a different stage where they can appreciate it for different things. Now, when they are teenagers and have seen it 10 times, we might start doing the pass through...but until then we will continue to watch it.

GrmGrninGost
03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
You needed to add another category. Something like "I stop every now and then". That would be us. We usually stop every 2 or 3 trips and watch the movie. I enjoy it but I wouldn't want to watch it every time I go on the ride.

TheVBs
03-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh but you really need to! They are all worth seeing, at least once. Breathtaking scenery.

I know! I've heard they're really amazing. Maybe next time we'll try to get in at least one.

WDW_Obsessed
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I personally love the movie, but I think my DH could do without it. I think the scenery of Norway is beautiful, but I do think it could stand a little update. Just my opinion...

Young@Heart
03-08-2009, 12:33 PM
We stayed the first time, but have skipped it since.

Daddy Mouse
03-08-2009, 01:07 PM
We ride and if we have time we'll watch the movie. Not all the time. I do enjoy the sights of places I'll never go see.

dumbo ears
03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't watch it every time but if Im with someone who hasn't seen it before ill stay. Ill prolly see it next time I go.

Meteora
03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I saw the movie for the first time a few years ago--the first time I had been on the ride since I was maybe 8--and it terrified me. I hate loud noises, and that movie was full of them. I don't know if they had the volume up too loud or what, but one moment I was watching a nice-looking boy walk through a museum, and the next moment I thought I was under attack. I don't think I could ever sit through it again; I'd just be anxious the whole time anticipating the next loud noise.

MadMadamMim
03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I promise that if I forget what Norway is all about I'll watch again, but until that time, watch me scurry away.

beksy
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
We watch every couple of trips or when we're with someone who has never seen it before or my Dad who loves all the movies. Otherwise we've seen it so many times we just run on through!

Yvette
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Funny you asked this! :D

Just yesterday I was telling my DD that we should watch at least a few of the movies now that she is a veteran. :mickey: She has never seen any of the movies. :blush:

goofy78
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I have seen the film a few times and I have to say that I don't watch it every time I ride Maelstrom, although I do consider it part of the ride. The reasons I don't stay are that I have already seen it that trip or I have an ADR to get to. It is a great film and I used to feel guilty if I walked straight through, however, I have seen it enough times that I don't feel guilty anymore. My advice to those who have not stayed to watch it should do so on their next trip. It is definitely a must see for those who have yet to experience it. :mickey:

dmosher
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
For us it varies, but ,most times, we stop and watch it. If nothing else, EPCOT is all run run run and standing all day, so any excuse to sit in a a nice cool theatre a bit longer is OK with me, plus (especially since the films' update) it's a pretty good film to see.
:pipes:
D

devoted93
03-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I watch it every time, I love the movies at the pavilions. The way I figure it is that the movie is literally 4:56 - we spend more time than that buying candy at the German pavilion.

We always walk right though. We've never seen the movie. Actually, we've never seen any of the movies there. It's not that we think they won't be good, it's just that there's so much to see there it's hard to imagine using some of our time there to watch movies. :blush:

I can't recommend "Impressions de France" enough. That's my absolute favorite, it's gorgeous.

GoofyGirl18
03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I feel really guilty not staying to watch their movie. I feel like I'm insulting them by wanting to ride their ride, but not actually expressing interest in their country. Usually we'll stay & watch the first time, but after that just walk through. This is one of those rides that we go on over and over and over...

RedHead
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I personally love the movie, but I think my DH could do without it. I think the scenery of Norway is beautiful, but I do think it could stand a little update. Just my opinion...

I think that's the trouble with many of the films - they become outdated, and, for the returning guest, offer nothing new.

And at least Norway and France offer seating - when you've been on your feet all day, China and Canada's movies keep you on your poor, sore, tired feet and there's not much relief, except for the A/C....

IloveDisney71
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I watched it once. All of the other times, we walked right through the exit.

DizneyRox
03-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Saw it once, that was enough. I'll force open the door if they close before I get there.

Belster
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I have stayed to watch on occasion but recently we walk through.

Crow
03-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Ive seen the movie many times. the last trip i watched it once then skipped.
in 5 wks im taking my nephews who have never been to WDW so will see it.
it does need an update but you should see it once. if you ride Maelstrom more than once skip the movie

SpecJoe Magic
03-09-2009, 04:04 AM
My wife actually enjoys the Norway movie somewhat for its cheesy entertainment value. I, on the other hand, loathe it. I did stay and watch it with her one time when we were dating. Now that we're married, we don't watch it anymore. Why should I have to sit through it again? I've got her hooked now. ;)

dixielandings
03-09-2009, 08:35 AM
The poll needed a fourth category I think. Something like I stop occasionally. I'm always with the same person so stopping and watching dosen't depend on that but rather whether we want to see it this time. After all these years we don't need to see it every trip.

This is us exactly. It's kinda nostalgic for me. So I like watching it - it just depends on our schedule and if we feel like it.

Mickey91
03-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, I chose the third option but it really depends on where we're heading and how much time we have to get there. Plus, I don't watch it every time. We might skip it this trip all together and watch it once next trip etc. So, I will watch it, just not all the time.

2Epcot
03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I can't say I've watched it everytime I've been on the ride, but most of the time I stay and watch the movie. I watch all of the movies when I'm at Epcot at least on one of the days I'm there.

SFTrny
03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
You have to see the movie the first time there...but it's not a repeat thing for me.

wjrhw
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
We watched it once. I told DD we are going to learn about Norway, but I really did not enjoy it or learn much from it.

DawsonAR
03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I have done both. I have watched the movie a few times but I ride it several times each tirp.

c&d
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
We've seen it. Now we just walk thru.

CU Tiger
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
The movie is OK, but you can only see it so many times. I have seen it enough. Unless I am with someone that does not visit the parks as much as we do, we skip it.:mickey:

BamaJenn
03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree we need a 4th category of "occasionally" or something because that's where my vote would've gone. For now I chose "depends on who I'm with". I've stopped to watch it a few times but there are other times, especially if my son is being antsy, that we won't.

Love of Disney
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I would say, you have to do it at least once. The whole idea of the World Showcase is to experience something from other countries. It gets us out of our little bubble!!
:cool:

disneynarula
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
We watch the movie once per trip. If we ride the ride more than once a trip we skip the movie the second time around. I love the movie.

Crow
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
My wife actually enjoys the Norway movie somewhat for its cheesy entertainment value. I, on the other hand, loathe it. I did stay and watch it with her one time when we were dating. Now that we're married, we don't watch it anymore. Why should I have to sit through it again? I've got her hooked now. ;)

LOL
nice....although sometimes you have to do things after you are married...take it from someone who has done the marriage thing 3 times.

Imagineer1981
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
watched it once, never again

Gooftroop5
03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Seen it try to book thru have been caught a couple of times with door closing.

Hull-onian
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Okay, I feel really guilty when I walk through the doors. But I get over it quickly. When hubby is with me, he likes the movie, he says the Scandinavian girls are cute. Hmmm, guess he likes blondes, and I am not a blonde, LOL.

cindchan
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I watch it every time. I love watching movies about other countries. I think it's a shame that all the countries in World Showcase don't have a movie. I'd love to see one about Japan!!

But I only ride the ride once or twice a trip, so seeing the movie every time is no big deal to me. ^_^

World Showcase is about learning about other countries and cultures! If there's a movie, I'm watching it! :thumbsup:

Unique1
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but why feel guilty if you don't stay to watch the movie?

If you are doing it out of guilt, why do it?

There are many wonderful things to see and do in Disney and I am sure that there are alot of people who stay to watch the movie because they want to.

Unique1

RAIDER
03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Ive only watched the movie once in all of my 10 years + after being on the ride and that was the very first time i ever went on it ... To say the film was grossly boring and i would rather clean out my cats litter instead is an understatement :D

indytraveler
03-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Have yet to stay and watch. However, I've only ridden ride 5 times.

Ian
03-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Oh but you really need to! They are all worth seeing, at least once. Breathtaking scenery.I do agree ... if you've never seen it before it's definitely worth waiting for at least once. It is very pretty.

I saw the movie for the first time a few years ago--the first time I had been on the ride since I was maybe 8--and it terrified me. I hate loud noises, and that movie was full of them. I don't know if they had the volume up too loud or what, but one moment I was watching a nice-looking boy walk through a museum, and the next moment I thought I was under attack. I don't think I could ever sit through it again; I'd just be anxious the whole time anticipating the next loud noise.We had this problem with DD the first time she saw it. It is very noisy ... seemingly for no good reason, actually.

MickeyMousse
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I think I've seen in twice...during my honeymoon (1991) and our first trip with our oldest DS (1999)...maybe it's something to consider next trip.

I mean, is the movie that bad??? (I can't remember!!! :scratch: )

Ksmith75
03-10-2009, 01:02 PM
We watched it once - now we leave after the ride.

GoldenDreams
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I love this movie!!! Honestly, it is one of my favorite things at Epcot. I like it so much that we once snuck into the movie without going on the ride because we were on our way to the airport and didn't have time for both.

I like it for several reasons:
1) I like a bunch of clips put together like this. My other favorite movies at WDW are: the movie at the end of American Adventure, the movie at the Circle of life, and the movie at the end of the Great Movie Ride. So you can see the theme there.

2) I love the music in it.

3) I love the scenery.

4) The kids are so cute!

5) I love the colors and the pagentry of it.

AmandaChan
03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
We saw it the first time we rode the ride and ever since then, we just pass it up. We've also only seen the 360 films once in each country. Actually, we might have seen France twice. If they were to change any of them we would see them once and probably not watch it again for a long time.

VWL Mom
03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
No time for the movie, my kid's are usually rushing to the viking hats! They try them on every time and every time they still think they are funny and want their pictures taken with the troll.

EditReject
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Last time I went on it was evening EMH and they had stopped playing the movie so that decision was already made for us. We just went into the gift shop, put on the viking hats and yelled "Yeah boyyyy! Flavor Flav!" :mickey:

badkitty
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM
It is actually a very nicely done film. Worth seeing at least once. I always feel guilty if I walk through. :secret:

Luv Eeyore
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
We watched it once, now we just scoot out. Although now that DS is old enough to pay attention, we might just stay to watch it when we go next month.

Amy_617
03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
This is a good thread! Some of the comments on here are really funny!! :thumbsup:

I picked the 3rd one. But, it really doesn't depend on who we are with....we normally watch the movie once every trip, but the ride we ride over and over...so we don't watch it EVERY time. I can see the part about it being very loud in some parts. We will be taking our DS who is turning 1 this year while we are there...and I will say, we will not be watching the movie this time. :secret:

Aero
03-13-2009, 10:44 PM
We've walked on through a lot of times, but the last two times I said we were going to stay and watch it, but then they just ushered us out. I guess it was too late for the movie.

- Aero

jwallace378
03-14-2009, 11:01 AM
We usually skip the movie

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I stay and watch it most of the time :)!

Disney Hungarian
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Confession time.
I felt so guilty after walking through and pushing open an exit door while the movie was playing. I actually spoke to a Norwegian CM about it. Well, she was cute and I am not one to pass up an opportunity to talk to a cutie no matter the odds. She did tell me that most CM's there were embarrassed by the film and felt it needed to be updated from the 80's.
Now, I do not feel guilty anymore. :thumbsup:

tiggerbuddy
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
No movie for me

bruin1344
11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
skip the movie

A Big Kid
11-03-2012, 10:41 AM
The whole idea of the World Showcase is to experience something from other countries.
:cool:
Weird. I thought it was about getting drunk.

A Big Kid
11-03-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd rather watch the movie BEFORE the ride to help kill the time.

I've always wanted to hear the cast member in the theater with the microphone say, "you are not the first to escape as fast you can this way."

Zawadi
11-03-2012, 12:43 PM
On the last few times the decision was made for us. The film was not been shown so we had to walk straight out.

Allenfow98
11-03-2012, 01:15 PM
If we are with someone who hasnt seen it yet we will stay and watch it.
the last time we were there, both sets of doors were open and we could walk right through even though the movie was going on, i think they should atleast close the doors from the ride to the movie so that the people who are watching the movie dont get interrupted by people who are walking through

texas211
11-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Since the movie hasn't changed in the 20 times i've been there. I no longer stop. Plus its on just one step above a black n white tv quality image.

SandmanGStefani24
11-03-2012, 11:34 PM
i must admit i feel slightly guilty zipping right through afterward...

one day I intend to watch it. Probably next trip!

And Texas211 is pretty much right on, the film looks so old and grainy. Can't they do a hi def version?

Gator
11-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I catch it about every other trip. I like the film, but there's no need to sit and watch it everytime I ride. I do like the fact that they keep the doors open now during the film. That way you can come in and watch or just jet. I hated waiting in the holding area if you just missed the doors, which we often did.

Jared
11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
I catch it about every other trip. I like the film, but there's no need to sit and watch it everytime I ride. I do like the fact that they keep the doors open now during the film. That way you can come in and watch or just jet. I hated waiting in the holding area if you just missed the doors, which we often did.
Has anybody ever officially established why Maelstrom was designed so strangely? It doesn't take an advanced engineering degree and a high-profile spot at WDI to know that films work as pre-shows and not as post-shows. The movie should be shown as a mandatory introduction to the ride, and it should let out into a loading area for the boats. Instead, we have this weird system with a movie that most people skip.

PopPhan
11-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I said "No movie for me", but that is only because I sat and watched it the first time I was on the ride and, although it is an informative film, I don't think i need to see it every time...

Sorry, Norway!!

Donald A
11-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Usually I don't stop but if I am tired I might sit there. I think they should put it in the beginning somehow. Like the Great Movie Ride.

LudwigVonDrake
11-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Sometimes I take the time to watch and other times I walk right through. I guess it all depends on how I feel :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
11-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I think in all our trips we've only stayed to watch the movie once.

RavsRuleDisney!
11-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Think I watched it on my first trip with DW (first DS was riding shotgun in mommys belly!) as she needed a sit down break. Have not stopped since....

tiggerbuddy
11-09-2012, 02:04 PM
same here...

I run out as fast a possible

Cheshire_Girl
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I have never stopped to watch it...now I'm going to have to so I can at least say Been there Done That, now where's my shirt?