PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha - I'm Torn

##Funicello
03-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Is Spirit of Aloha one of the things you have to do once? I'll be staying at the Poly with DW, and 3 DDs (20, 17, 15). I've read many mixed reviews. Thoughts?....

TheVBs
03-07-2009, 01:35 PM
We did this the last time we were there and really enjoyed it. The food was fantastic! The only disappointment was that we were sitting waaay in the back. I think they charge different rates now for different seating locations. I think it would be worth extra to sit at least in the center.

CAS
03-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Definitely worth it at least once. I think the mixed reviews come from those who've attended real luau's in HI, but I guess I equate that situation to native Italians visiting Epcot's Italy and saying it's just not the same (of course it's not you silly). ;)

Recommendations: If you're with kids pay for the closer seating; they'll be better entertained.

It's looong, so if you have really little ones be prepared to have something else to keep them entertained.

Otherwise enjoy!

DizneyRox
03-07-2009, 03:31 PM
The only time I'd be torn about going to the luau would be if the choices are: Luau or Root Canal. That would be a tough choice, otherwise I always choose anything but the luau.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I think if you go expecting a fullout Hawaiian cultural display ~ you will be disappointed. If you go expecting a Disney style dinner show with a Hawaiian theme ~ you'll have fun. We've been and will go again ~ great food and light hearted entertainment!:D

Hull-onian
03-07-2009, 05:28 PM
We liked it. We met some nice folks there. Saw a great show, and had good service. Our dinner was delicious. I think that it is worth it. :eat::marg::tikki:

jwallace378
03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Once was enough for me:ack:

the other micki
03-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I've never done the Luau, though some friends of mine really enjoyed it in December. I just wanted to say :welcome: to Intercot!

Polynesian Dweller
03-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I'd say do it and try it. Its like anything else, some people will love it and some won't.

Every restaurant at Disney gets positive and negative reviews. For example. we had our absolutely, by a country mile, worst dining experience at Rose and Crown. But other folks have found R&C to be their best. Personal taste, restaurant having an off night, could be anything accounting for the difference.

Only you can decide if the experience was great. As you've seen, some love the luau, some don't. So I say, Go, decide you'll have fun, and you will.:mickey:

stitchaholic
03-08-2009, 07:49 AM
you should go!

TheRustyScupper
03-08-2009, 09:06 AM
1) We did the Luau, once.
2) It is two hours from our lives we cannot get back.
3) Even though we wish we could.
4) We thought
. . . the luau food was less than average
. . . the dancers were OK
. . . the "plot line" was terrible
. . . the evetn was highly overrated

NOTE: I doubt our 12-year-old granddaughter in a grass skirt could do what the Luau dancers did, but maybe by the time she is 13-years-old she could.

Through the looking Glass
03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
My kiddies had a good time there when they were real young. I would suggest the Hoop dee Doo show with the ages of yours.
Luau has sub par food and lackluster entertainment for adults. (Unless you like seeing fire tossed around by well sculpted young men).
Went one time and we had wind blown rain and Disney didn't cancel or give refunds:huh:. It is under cover but with the wind we would have got wet.

Sorry but I would pass if I was you. There are better things to do with the 2-3 hours you would spend there.

I also think the cost factor has gotten out of hand for the show. 250$ for a family of 5 hmmm.

KayDee
03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Did the show a couple of years back gotta say DW and I didn’t leave it super impressed. However over time it is one of my more vivid memories.So I say go do it.

##Funicello
03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback. We've decided to include it in our ADRs. I can't imagine staying at the Poly and not going to the show. A question I do have, when do you get your seat assignments? Is it at reservation time or at check in?

##Funicello
03-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Any help with the seat assignment question?....
:mickey:

##Funicello
06-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, we just got back from WDW and we did the Spirit of Aloha on our second night. The 5 of us had a really good time. The food was good, the show was enjoyable and our server was great.

It's not a must-do on every visit, but if you're on the fence like we were, go for it, you'll be glad you did...

goofy78
06-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm glad to hear that y'all ended up trying it and enjoying it. Your feelings are the same as mine. While the food and show were good, it is not something I would put on the must do list. However, if I did it again I am sure I would enjoy it just the same.

TikiLounger
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm glad you liked it! We did it once a couple of years ago. We really had a good time. It was my daughter's b-day (16th) and the Maori warrior pulled her onstage to take part in the show. It was so funny...I thought she was going to die...