PDA

View Full Version : Taking my doggie to the vet

Kennywife
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
He's been itchy and I've done everything for him. He's getting bad irritation and I'm gonna see what his vet can do. :ambal:

Anna

iDisney
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Poor fella. Hope all goes well for him. I hope it's something simple and not too complex. Here is a little doggie pixie dust for him. :dog::pixie::dog:

brad192
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Here's hoping your sweetie hasn't got anything serious. I'll send a little Pixie Dust for your fur baby. :pixie::pixie::pixie:

Kennywife
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
We're leaving in a few minutes (me and my dad) to take Speedy to the vet.

Anna

lovewalt
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Good Luck! I went through this with my dog and it turned out to be a food allergy.Once we switched to a special food she's been fine.I hope it's that easy of a fix for you.

offwego
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Good luck and let us know what it is..my doggie has been having these issues we've switched foods, beds etc and they tried shots, pills and creams to no avail.

So I'd be interested to hear what you find out!

thrillme
03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Happens to my dog every spring. I give her a bath (I belive there's "itchy dog" at Petco) and then I give her a single benedryl (depends on your dog's weight...mine's about 50 lbs)...it was recommended by her vet.

If she gets really bad then I take her in and they give her a steroid/cortisone shot? And then she really improves after that.

Good luck. It really is frustrating because sometimes it's like nothing helps.

Stitchahula
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
1 of my labs used to have seasonal allergies and we used benadryl for her as needed. I also used to groom a dog that had real bad irritation they couldn't figure out what it was. The switched foods, beds everything they could think of. I asked if they used carpet deodorizor they did and never even thought that could be the issue. It was, things like that have a ton of chemicals in them that are really irritating to a dog sometimes. Good luck.

Hull-onian
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Good luck going to the vet today. I am sure they will straighten it out. Let us know.:puppy:

tyandskyesmom
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Our dog gets itchy every year in late September or October...it gets so bad that by the time we realize it has started her back above the tail, part of her tail and her back legs are pretty bare and tender. She has been through everything. One doctor thought it was fleas even though we have never seen any indication of that and she is treatred for them year round. But another said she seems to have an allergy to something in our yard. We end up using benedryl, an antibiotic, a medicated cream on the area and sensitive skin baths and eventually it goes away. This has only been happening for the last 5 years or so (she's 11 1/2) so we're not sure what has changed but she gets miserable every year.

Hope you're is more easily solved!

Kennywife
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
We're back! He has very bad allergies. His skin is super sensiitve and he can't go potty in the yard anymore as one flea can bother him to death. :fit:

He was given a shot and had his nails clipped. They gave me some meds for him to take, Comfortis which is really supposed to help. He takes half a benadryl too.

He's sound asleep on my office couch right now. Poor little guy, he had a hard day. :puppy::hug:

Anna

iDisney
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Poor little guy. At least it's nothing that is life threatening and is easily treatable.

Stitchahula
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Poor little thing. When you groom himn now use hypoalllergenic shampoo. If you bring him to get groomed make sure they don't put any cologne on and use the right shampoo. As I said in a previous post don't use the rug deodorizor as that has a ton of chemicals in it. If you need to use something on the rug just use baking soda. Good luck my dog was allergic to bug bites too (any kind of bug). It was hard finding something we could put on her to help.

Kennywife
03-07-2009, 12:08 AM
The pixie dust worked! :pixie:

He's looking way better today. I've been giving him benadryl and he hasn't itched a lot. He's getting used to going "potty" in his box. Doesn't like it right now.

He felt so good today, he wanted to go for a walk! :woohoo: SO glad! I was afraid we might lose him. :puppy:

Thank you all for the pixie dust! You guys are the best! :grouphug:

Anna

Jeff
03-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Glad it worked out for you pup.
Also, thanks for the useful info you and the others have provided for all of us who are owned by a dog.:)

Tinkerfreak
03-07-2009, 09:07 AM
So glad to hear that your baby is doing better. :thumbsup: