PDA

View Full Version : maelstrom and POTC while pregnant?

dumbo_buddy
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
DH and i are headed down Saturday morning for a week! (thanks to buy 4 get 3 free). i'll be 23 weeks pregnant with our first next week.

i know i can't do the big rides and my doc said that probably even the safari isn't worth the risk.

but what about Maelstrom and POTC? i mean, they DO have drops. but they are SO small. my mom was trying to tell me that i shouldn't do those two.

i obviously won't ride if it's not ok. i'm just curious if you think those rides are really too much for a preggo lady. also, any other non-thrill rides that you think are actually a no-no?:mickey:

Gregandmel
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I've been on both Maelstorm and POTC and I can't see any reason why you can't do them. Both I felt were gentle water rides that were more about what you were seeing than feeling. I'd say they are fine for you at 23 weeks! Splash Mountain would be another story - the big drop at the end I might question for you. Good luck!!! And have a great trip!

Dawnya
03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I also don't see that they would be a big deal for you to ride. I have asked my doctor why they don't recommend for pregnant women to ride rides and he said that if it has a lap bar or anything touching your stomach you shouldn't ride (for obvious reasons) but the restriction is more for women who are more at a risk for miscarrying.

javamama
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
They both have posted warnings for PG women not to ride, it's your first pg it's not worth the risk IMO the warnings are for a reason. You can always ride them another time. My sister was pg last year when we went in her 2nd trimester and didn't ride either of those, she rode tons of other things though. Have a great trip:mickey:

Wrigley
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I went on Malestorm and POTC when I was 6 months pregnant. I had no problems at all. I think you would be ok to ride these. I also rode the safari, which I can see why they don't what pregnant women to ride that one-it was very bumpy and I didn't feel quite right after that one-but had no problems. I would just stay away from the obvious ones!! Have a great trip, and congratulations!:mickey:

chrisie703
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I rode both when I was 6 months pregnant, and I also rode the safari, and soarin, as I had been on them all before and I didn't think there was any reason not to, and I felt fine, no problems.:mickey:
Have a great time.

princessgirls
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
If your pregnancy is a good one, then these rides are fine!!

If there are complications, then I wouldn't risk it.

Have fun.

Julie:mickey:

kakn7294
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I would think that both should be fine for a normal, healthy pregnancy as long as you have your OB's approval. Use common sense and don't ride if you can't be comfortable about it. Avoid lap bars or any ride that will constrict your baby bump and obviously avoid any of the thrill rides. There's still plenty to do, even if you decide to forgo these two attractions. Congrats on the baby and have a great trip!!!

jonahbear2006
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Other than rollercoasters, TOT, and waterslides there isnt anything at disney that should be a problem for a pregnant mama. There are young teens everyday who try to miscarry(horrible thought) and don't succeed at harming their young. It takes a lot to disturb a healthy pregnancy. It's actually more dangerous for you to fall down and hit the ground, as a pregnant person, than to ride on these rides.

Gator
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
My wife rode both when she was 5-6 six months along. Those drops are really insignificant. Everything turned out fine in my son....other than he has three arms - and it comes in handy :)

diz_girl
03-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I rode both of these two years ago when I was pregnant with my DS and both of us were fine. The rule of thumb that I used was that if it didn't have a height restriction, then it was OK to ride. I didn't do the safari, but I don't know why.

The nice thing about being pregnant at WDW it that when everyone else is on the thrill rides, you get to sit down, kick up your feet and relax.

Congratulations and good luck!

Disney Doll
03-05-2009, 07:31 AM
The rule of thumb that I used was that if it didn't have a height restriction, then it was OK to ride.

I agree with this logic. If I can take my infant son on the ride, surely it's tame enough for a pregnant mom.

AXOAlum
03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
My wife rode both when she was 5-6 six months along. Those drops are really insignificant. Everything turned out fine in my son....other than he has three arms - and it comes in handy :)

Best.Post.Ever. :funny:

I will chime in to agree that you should be fine on both these rides if you have a healthy pregnancy. So many times those signs are put up because they have to be... thanks to our "entitled to sue" society (but that's another topic).

I would strongly recommend, however, that you avoid KS. It is very bumpy and uncomfortable - my sister was pregnant when she rode it, and we were praying for the ride to end. She ended up having to sit in a wheelchair for the rest of the day because her back hurt afterwards.

:congrats: and have a magical trip :mickey:

Belster
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I went twice while I was 5 months pregnant both times and went on both of these rides...I was fine. My doctor is rather conservative and said no jarring movements or large drops. I saw that a pp mentioned the safari I also skipped this one because of the VERY bumpy ride. I do not think that would be too good on a pregnant woman, impo.

GoldenDreams
03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi There,

I too think that these two rides should be fine. My doctor said to beware of bumps and there is a small bump in the Maelstrom, but no bumps that I can remember in POTC.

I just wanted to point out that the Safari ride has gotten bumpy again, so you are wise to skip that one. For awhile it was gentler, but now they've sped it up or added ruts or something.

Good luck with the trip and with the new baby!

momofdisneyprincess
03-11-2009, 09:00 AM
I have also been on both of those rides while I was pregnant. As previous posters stated, as long as your pregnancy is uncomplicated you should be fine. I would also leave out the simulator rides (other than Soarin'). I thought Star Wars would be fine since I was sitting down but it was very jarring and concerning to me while pregnant. Soarin' is a very tame ride though. As pp stated, if they allow lap babies, it should be fine for a pregnant woman. A lot of Disney's ride restriction warnings are for liability issues. Have a great time and congratulations on the pregnancy!

Imagineer1981
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
My wife was 7months pregnant when she rode POTC, and had no issues. The car ride and the flight down to Florida where bumpier then POTC :)

diz_girl
03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I just remembered that I rode Soarin' (twice) while pregnant and I was fine. Yes, it has a height restriction, but it is because of the seat belt, rather than any drops or bumps. I was 20 weeks at the time, so you should be fine at 23 weeks. If I was really far along, I might reconsider riding Soarin', since getting off the ride if it breaks own is tricky if your center of gravity is off due to pregnancy.