PDA

View Full Version : New Job!

Dznygrl79
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Okay so the economy is affecting everyone, I have worked at the local Apple store since the summer and things had been wonderful til after Christmas when we got cut back to 10 hours a week. I have tried to wait out this lull because I truely love the company, however I am starting to get behind on bills and tuition is on the climb, so I am leaving. I have been looking for a job for the past month or so and had just about given up when I visited the local Zoos website to plan a trip. By luck they where hiring for concessions, zoo shop, and ticket desk. I called and got hired! The job is from March to October so I will be set for the next few months.
I am going to make less per hour but the amount of hours makes up for the pay difference.
I also love animals and kids and will be working around animals and with lots of kids during the summer.
I hope I am doing the right thing... Keep me in your thoughts as I take this next step.
And if anyone is going to the Brandywine Zoo in Delaware let me know I would love to say hi!

SBETigg
03-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Sounds like a fun job. Congratulations and best wishes with it!

DizNee143
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
congrats on the job!! goodluck! :mickey:

Tick-Tock
03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I worked at a zoo during college. One of the best parts was being able to come in a little early in the morning and see the animals before the zoo opened, when it was fresh and not too hot.

Enjoy your new job!

RedSoxFan
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Congrats:thumbsup:

faline
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Congrats on your new position!

DisneyDog
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Very nice! I've never been to the Brandywine Zoo. Is it in Delaware or PA? I'll have to look that up. We are very close to the Elmwood Park Zoo in Norristown, PA. I do get to DE every once in a while. I am a Blue Hen, class of 1991:thumbsup:

Were you at the Christiana Mall? My DH applied for a postion at Apple at the the KofP mall and they said they weren't hiring. He just started a 2nd job at Lenscrafters. So far so good. Best of luck on your new position!!

DisneyDog
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow! I just looked at the zoo's website. Admission is extremely reasonable. I just might take DS there sometime this spring!

Do you know if they have a shared membership with Philadelphia Zoo? We have a membership there.

tinklover
03-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh wow i grew up going to the Brandywine zoo. Good luck with the job and maybe we will take a trip up to see you over the summer.

vizsla
03-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Congratulations

Dznygrl79
03-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks everyone, Brandywine Zoo is in Wilmington, Delaware. Not very big you could complete a visit in just about an hour, our highlight is a siberian tiger and our otter exhibit.
I went for orientation yesterday and it was freezing! But very cool because the animals have not had much interaction with people for last few months they came up to the edge of the exhibits and "talked" to us! It was so cold the had the pygmy goats in coats!
As far as cross membership in Philly Zoo you get half off! So its $2.50 for an adult during peak season!
We are having a free weekend for opening this weekend, and its supposed to be very nice weather! Message me if you visit and I will let you know where I will be working in the zoo, I love meeting fellow intercotees!

DisneyDog
03-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Hmmm, a free weekend? Maybe tomorrow will be the day!