PDA

View Full Version : "Stroller = Wheelchair" sticker question

alaMode
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
My DS and I will be at WDW at the end of March. My son has cp and needs to use a special needs stroller because of stamina issues.
In the past, we've always stayed at the Polynesian. We'd take the monorail to MK and my son would be able to stay in his special needs stroller. We would get a "stroller=wheelchair"at guest services in the park.
This vacation we'll be staying at POP and I'm worried about the bus ride to MK on the first day. Will my son be able to board the bus as he had the "stroller=wheelchair" sticker if I explain it to the driver, or will we need to sit in regular seats and carry the stroller? The stroller folds, but it breaks down into 2 pieces. It's difficult to handle the stroller and look after my son.
My DH won't be traveling with us, so I won't have any extra hands.
Any advice or input is appreciated!
Tess

joanna71985
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Unless it's an actual wheelchair, I don't think he will be able to stay in it (since only wheelchairs can be strapped down). I don't believe strollers are made to use the straps used on the buses.

alaMode
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
We've ridden the busses with the sticker and he can stay in the stroller. It's a special needs stroller--it's designed to carry someone up to 150lbs and it's very sturdy. It's kind of like a lightweight wheelchair.

I'm wondering if we MUST have the sticker for my son to do this. Once I get the sticker at guest relations, I know everything will be fine. I'm concerned about getting my son to the park before I get the sticker.

Tess

ElenitaB
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I would speak to someone at the concierge desk of your hotel. They might be able to help you re: the bus. I don't know if you'll be able to get you the tag (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/440669726_jhnWB-M.jpg) but maybe a phone call before you arrive to the resort might help.

Hayden's Dad
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
My experience with bus drivers and Wheelchair/Strollers hasn't been great. Our son was in a kidkart that resembled both and we had the red sticker and we still got some flack from a couple of the driver's, now most of them were fine once they saw the red sticker just make sure it is in plain sight or you point to it, wave it whatever you have to do to make sure it is noticed. Since yours is a special needs stroller you could have a few issues that first ride until you get the sticker it really depends on the driver. Personaly I have become partial to driving especially with my son it was much less stressful and one grumpy bus driver can ruin an otherwise magical day. :mickey:

alaMode
03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
for the ideas and feedback. I will call ahead and see if I can get any advice or assistance.

I won't have a car this trip. I'll have to make it work on the busses. Our first bus ride to MK might be like Mr. Toad or not.

Either way, we'll be fine--we'll be in wdw, right? (Positive self talk calms me...)

Tess

Hayden's Dad
03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I know you will be fine. WIth everything else we go through throughout a normal day this is nothing. But just in case here is a little pixie dust for your trip!! :pixie::pixie:

ElenitaB
03-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Tess, you'll be fine! Really! But do talk to the concierge when you check in. Maybe they can help you get the tag sooner rather than later.

And here's some more :pixie: for a magical trip!

alaMode
03-28-2009, 04:39 PM
First of all, thanks for the pixie dust and encouragement!
I called Pop and I was assured that Jack could stay in his special needs stroller on our first trip to the parks.
Tomorrow is the big day! We are SO excited!

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09--tomorrow!

wdw_bound
03-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Have a great trip!

DD uses a MaClaren, and we've gone both ways on the bus, but you are right, it is definitely easier to keep them in it.

I have found that there is some inconsistancy, so be prepared to stick to your guns (with the rides as well as the bus).

I've thought about taking the kids by myself - please let me know how things go for you!

alaMode
03-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Everything worked like a charm!
Not only was Jack a complete angel on the plane, but as soon as the bus driver noticed us in the wheelchair line, he came over to help.

I got the stroller=wheelchair sticker at Magic Kingdom and we were off to enjoy our evening!

Thanks again for the advice and good wishes!

Tess