PDA

View Full Version : 'High School Musical 4' returns to Disney Channel with new cast

Melanie
03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Disney makes "High School Musical 4" with new cast

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Walt Disney Co's teen hit franchise "High School Musical" is coming back for a fourth time -- but with a new cast of characters, the company said on Tuesday.

"High School Musical 4" will debut on the Disney Channel in 2010 -- marking a return to its original cable home after the third instalment danced into movie theaters in 2008.

Disney Channel said in a statement the story would feature a music- and dance-filled love triangle set against cross-town rivalry between fictional high schools in Albuquerque, N.M.

It will introduce a new cast of characters after the fictional "graduation" of the original stars Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale in "High School Musical 3: Senior Year".

"High School Musical" and its spin-offs have proved a lucrative global franchise for Disney since the first made-for-TV movie aired on the Disney Channel in January 2006.

The first two TV movies have been seen by some 300 million viewers in more than 100 nations, including India, China and Russia, produced a hit soundtrack album, a concert tour and a vast range of toys, clothes and books.

"High School Musical 3: Senior Year" -- the first to be made as a feature movie -- has grossed some $250 million at the worldwide box office since its October 2008 release.

Most of the original cast said last year they would not be returning if a fourth instalment were made.

LauraleeH
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I feel horrible for the kids growing up on Disney Channel these days. All they get is cheap sequels. I miss the movies I grew up on. I wish they were all on DVD so I could buy them for my future kids. The Disney Channel is just not the same...

NotaGeek
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I feel sorry for the world having to have a made-up high school duel in New Mexico. I am from there, and let me tell you, no teens in New Mexico duel like West Side Story. :ack:

Melanie
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I feel horrible for the kids growing up on Disney Channel these days. All they get is cheap sequels. I miss the movies I grew up on. I wish they were all on DVD so I could buy them for my future kids. The Disney Channel is just not the same...

What movies are you referring to? Just curious. Those Halloweentown movies - those are from Disney Channel, right? Help jog my memory on other sequels in the last few years from Disney Channel.

Although the storyline does sound kinda silly, I doubt the movie will be done too on the cheap. The franchise is successful enough at this point, and kids today (especially all the girls I know) love it!

LauraleeH
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
What movies are you referring to? Just curious. Those Halloweentown movies - those are from Disney Channel, right? Help jog my memory on other sequels in the last few years from Disney Channel.

Although the storyline does sound kinda silly, I doubt the movie will be done too on the cheap. The franchise is successful enough at this point, and kids today (especially all the girls I know) love it!
Type in List of Disney Channel Original Movies on Wikipedia and see all of movies from the 90's up to Lizzie McGuire. I stopped watching the Disney Channel after they took Lizzie off the air. But those were the movies I grew up on and I'd be much happier if Disney would release them for me to buy on DVD :thumbsup:

I'm sure they'll spend a lot of money on the film...much more than the movies from the 90's. I just meant the script is cheap, unoriginal, etc...because of all the sequels. I loved Halloweentown and even the first two sequels were fine, but they ruined it by adding too many.

The movies today are just annoying, squealing girls excited over boys and glamour, and just don't deal with issues that most kids face. Remember Tru Confessions with Shia Labeouf as a mentally retarded kid? Not only was he a great actor, but it had a good story. And Tiger Cruise with Hayden Panettiere was another good one.

HSM just doesn't have a good plot. The first was good because it was a musical, but how many times can you do it? I guess as long as it's what the kids want, and it's making the money, Disney will continue to dish out the pointless sequels. I just wish they would also give us some quality family movies that even adults can enjoy without all the whining and dramatic screaming ;)

Melanie
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Disney Channel Press Release

March 3, 2009

DISNEY’S “HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 4” SET TO DEBUT AS A DISNEY CHANNEL ORIGINAL MOVIE IN 2010

East meets West in a classic love triangle set against the cross-town school rivalry between the East High Wildcats and West High Knights, in “High School Musical 4,” the fourth story in the celebrated franchise that became a cultural sensation, fueled unprecedented digital music downloads and underscored the strength of Disney Channel and Radio Disney’s connection to kids, tweens and families.

“High School Musical 4” brings the franchise back to television in a music and dance-filled Disney Channel Original Movie that will introduce a new cast of characters. It is scheduled to begin production later this year for premiere on Disney Channel in 2010. The announcement was made today by Gary Marsh, president, Entertainment, Disney Channels Worldwide.

Marsh said: “The 'High School Musical’ trilogy introduced a new generation to the celebrated genre of movie musicals. In crafting this next iteration, we've challenged the entire creative team to raise the bar again -- and create something truly worthy of this extraordinary global phenomenon.”

The screenwriter of “High School Musical 4” is Peter Barsocchini who wrote each of the three movies in the franchise. Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush return as the executive producers.

Disney's Emmy Award-winning “High School Musical” premiered in January 2006 on Disney Channel in the U.S. It went on to become a smash hit internationally, airing on Disney Channels and free-to-air broadcasters worldwide. To-date it has reached more than 290 million viewers in over 20 languages across 100 countries, including India, China and Russia.

The “High School Musical” soundtrack was the #1 album of 2006 and the DVD was the year's #1 TV movie on DVD. “High School Musical” also delivered licensed amateur and professional touring stage productions, a best-selling junior novel, a popular consumer products franchise, a themed show at Disneyland Parks and Resorts in Anaheim, Orlando and Paris, and a sold-out, 52-date arena concert tour in North America and Latin America.

The movie’s critically acclaimed sequel, “High School Musical 2,” ranks as the #1 basic cable telecast of all time (18.6 million viewers for its August 2007 premiere) and thus far has been seen by nearly 300 million Total Viewers in 24 languages around the world. The “High School Musical 2” soundtrack is triple Platinum, and its DVD release was the top-selling TV property on DVD for 2007.

Walt Disney Pictures debuted “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” in theatres in October 2008. Its premiere weekend box office sales marked the highest debut ever for a musical and for a live-action G-rated film. Thus far it has grossed $250 million at the box office around the world. “High School Musical: Senior Year, Extended Edition” on DVD released in February.

Stich8818
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Will Kenny Ortega be back?

DisneyDog
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I just saw the first two this past week. Cute. Nothing thrilling. I would probably flip over them if I was a 4 year old. I will watch the 3rd one when I can get my hands on it, just out of curiousity. They are very talented kids, but the acting is overly forced, especially Vanessa Hudgins who bops around dancing, even during a slow song.

I thought it was interesting that I saw bits and pieces of the movie obviously directly "inspired" by Grease and Dirty Dancing.

murphy1
03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Michael, :D I just had this image of these crazy red capes swirling around with switchblades in hand!!!!

I am so sick of being caught in the maelstrom of Miley Cyrus, Jonas, HSM. Seriously, I have rented a few of the old black and white flicks like the original flubber and Shaggy Dog and the kids still like those when (from Walt was still alive.) I feel I have to hide the TV anymore!

tinkerbelle75
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM

I have sat through some really bad Cheetah Girls movies that I assumed were sequels.....my girls watch the One World one every time it comes on.:sick:

brewcrew26
03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Disney Channel jumped the shark after they got rid of Kids Incorporated and the original Mickey Mouse Club (with Annette and Bobby...etc). It was great when they had cartoon and Mousterpiece Theater. Aww, I miss that. There were a few good movies but I can't think of their names -- I remember one about a witch or something living in some mountain town and skipping stones on a river.

But HSM 3 was a lot better than the first. At some point they just need to stop though. Did anyone else notice that Kenny Ortega directed Newsies with Christian Bale?

PrettyMinnie
03-18-2009, 11:48 PM
My thoughts on Dinsey Channel and the very idea of a High School Musical 4

:down::noway::fit::nono::angry::shake::blowup:

BrerSchultzy
03-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Before we jump into the discussion about how awful the HSM franchise is, and how sequels are lame and how the Disney Channel has lowered its standards, I have to *gasp* stand up for the HSM franchise.

See, I'm part of a musical theatre repertory company here in South Carolina, and we were one of the first theatres to get the rights to the stage version of HSM2...without the revenue from that show, we couldn't have done the rest of our season. We also have seen a massive influx of young talent audition for our shows, because of HSM. Seems that theatre is becoming cool again. We just performed Grease (speaking of movies with lousy sequels...see, it's not a NEW thing) and sold out four straight shows, and mostly to teenagers who probably wouldn't have come if HSM hadn't been popular.
So, roll your eyes if you will, but I for one am very grateful to Disney...I may not think it's the best quality, but I can't argue with its effectiveness.

zebradome17
03-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Wake me up when they bring out High School Musical 32.
Seriously, it's gone on for too long now.

NotaGeek
03-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Considering the popularity of High School Musical with the target demographic of Disney Channel, I say it makes sense that they try to ride on the success of their machine. Kids love it ... it's not about what the adults think.

murphy1
03-21-2009, 04:51 PM
True, but also what the adult is willing to fork over for it. And btw Michael, what are you eating in that picture???

NotaGeek
03-21-2009, 06:07 PM
True, but also what the adult is willing to fork over for it. And btw Michael, what are you eating in that picture???
A mickey head ice cream on a stick thing ... I was at California Adventure about 2 weeks ago ... :mickey: