PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express and Wheelchairs

DawsonAR
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Magical Express and Wheelchairs? Thanks in advance.

ElenitaB
03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Personally, DME is the portion of my journey that I'm on my feet, though lately I do arrive there in a wheelchair from the gate and pick-up my rented ECV at check-in at the resort. The reverse trip is trickier because I end up hoofing it to the airlines' check-in area, often to my detriment but that's another story. :(

The short answer is that there are busses with lifts.

Piglet822
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Were you looking for specific information or just in general?
As Ellen mentioned DME does have some wheelchair accessible coaches. Not all the coaches have lifts so when making your DME reservation you will need to let the person helping you know if a lift bus is required. If you can navigate the stairs comfortably in and out of the coach then the chair can be stowed in the luggage bay and you can utilize any DME coach.
Please let me know if you have any more questions, I work for the company that operates the DME buses and will be more than happy to help you out.

DawsonAR
03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow, I'm glad I asked this question. They person on the phone at Disney stated all the buses have lifts. I didn't know if that is true or not. We will require a lift, because DD (9) is in a wheelchair and can't stand or walk at all. I'm nervous about this trip. We have always used a towncar service, but since DME is included with the trip, I thought we would give it a try. Wish us luck! Thanks

ElenitaB
03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Please don't be nervous. I've always found the CMs and drivers to be extremely helpful. Have a great vacation!

Piglet822
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Wow, I'm glad I asked this question. They person on the phone at Disney stated all the buses have lifts. I didn't know if that is true or not. We will require a lift, because DD (9) is in a wheelchair and can't stand or walk at all. I'm nervous about this trip. We have always used a towncar service, but since DME is included with the trip, I thought we would give it a try. Wish us luck! Thanks

The person you spoke to probably thought you were referring to Disney Transport, they do in fact have lifts on just about every bus (if not the entire fleet).
Sad to say even after 4 years many CM's do not realize Disney's Magical Express buses are not owned, nor operated by Disney and they are completely different buses from the ones taking you to and from the park.