PDA

View Full Version : just returned - dining reviews

ghowlett
03-02-2009, 07:07 PM
We just returned from our trip (2/25 - 3/1) so I figured I'd throw out our 2 cents. We weren't on the dining plan, but we did get the Tables in Wonderland card for the 6 of us (which paid for itself after the second meal, so we definitely recommend it to FL residents.)

2/25 Dinner - Raglan Road (Downtown Disney): A. We would definitely eat here again. The atmosphere was great & so was the food. For appetizers, we split the chicken skewers & fried calamari. The fried calamari also came with tempura vegetables. The 2 in our group who had the fish & chips said they were great. I ordered the seared beef salad & it was delicious. Two of the guys ordered the "It's not bleedin' chowder" at the recommendation of our waiter who claimed it was "huge & came with more potatoes than you knew what to do with" - the portions were pretty average size & one of the dishes only had 1 slice of potato while the other had 2. They both enjoyed the dish, but it was definitely not what they expected based on the waiter's description. For dessert, they brought out bread pudding with a candle for my boyfriend's birthday. It comes in a big mug with caramel & vanilla sauces on the side. It's delicious, but very sweet & heavy. The one dessert was enough for all 6 of us.

2/26 Breakfast - Spoodles (Boardwalk): A. Everyone enjoyed this breakfast, but half of the group ordered the All-American breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc.) so that's kind of hard to mess up. My dad wanted a frittata, but didn't like any offered on the menu, so they made him one to order, which was nice. I had the waffle, which came with mascarpone cheese, honey & pecans and was so delicious - but HUGE. My boyfriend ended up eating more than half of it. We had 9:30am ADRs & this restaurant was practically empty, which was surprising.

2/26 Lunch - Cosmic Ray's (Magic Kingdom): B. We all just got burgers, hot dogs & fries. Quick, cheap & easy!

2/26 Dinner - Sci-Fi Dine-in (Disney's Hollywood Studios): B. We split the spinach & artichoke dip and onion rings for appetizers, which everyone liked. Dinner was ok - everyone compared it to Applebee's food. My boyfriend & I didn't see anything we wanted on the menu, so we were able to order the angus burger off the lunch menu. Basically average food, just go for the experience.

2/27 Breakfast - Starring Rolls Cafe (Disney's Hollywood Studios): C. This was the one morning that we didn't have ADRs, so we just kind of winged it when we got the park. It was ok - everyone just got bagels & croissants, which were all a little stale. The coffee was gross. We asked if they had actual iced coffee (meaning cold coffee, not hot coffee that they just put ice in) & they said yes - not true. My coffee was barely drinkable and the bottom of my cup was completely black with coffee grounds - I had to make sure I kept my straw in the top half of my cup. Definitely skip the coffee here. The girls working inside at the time weren't really paying attention or listening either & charged us for things we didn't even buy (we didn't notice it until we left, but it was only a few dollars, so who cares?) Also, very limited seating outside. On the positive side, we all agreed that the desserts inside looked absolutely delicious, but we didn't have any (if was breakfast time after all). But some of us were very tempted to have tiramisu for breakfast.

2/27 Dinner - Chefs de France (Epcot): B. We all ordered from the prix fixe menu & it was definitely a great deal - I think it was $35 for an appetizer, entree and dessert and you had a choice of 3 for each. Everyone chose the lobster bisque or french onion soup for the appetizer (salad was the other option) & they were both good. I don't remember what the other 2 entree options were, but 4 of us ordered the short ribs and they were delicious. For dessert, I ordered the profiterolles & they were ok. My mom & sister are huge creme brulee fans & were very disappointed with their dessert. Neither of them had more than 1 bite. My parents are both huge pinot grigio drinkers & asked our waitress for a French equivalent (I think pinot is an Italian wine, so they didn't offer it) - whatever she brought them had them both drunk by the second glass, so they were happy! I had the sparkling limonade which was basically French Sprite that came in a pretty bottle.

2/28 Breakfast - Crystal Palace (Magic Kingdom): A. Everyone loved this breakfast buffet. They do made to order omelets, which went over well with our group. Also, they do made to order Mickey shaped pancakes - none of us ordered them though. We were a group of all adults, but everyone loved the breakfast pizza & puffed french toast from the kid buffet.

2/28 Dinner - Ohana (Polynesian): D. What a disappointment. This was my birthday dinner, so we all went in kind of excited. The food was good, but not great & our waitress basically forgot about us all night. We were there for over 2 1/2 hours & were only served once (so much for all-you-care-to-eat!) and we had to wait a looong time to get anything. Then when my dad went to tell our waitress that it was my birthday, she said "Ok, I'll tell your waitress," he told her "YOU are our waitress!" and she still forgot to put the candle in the dessert. So my family sang happy birthday to me anyway with the candle-less dessert (which is definitely the yummiest part of the meal). She later apologized & brought out a cupcake with a candle, but we were all pretty much over it by that point. Watching Wishes from the restaurant was nice, especially with the coordinating music. We all understand that DIsney is obviously geared towards kids, but the activities got a little annoying as the night went on. The lady running the show had a microphone that went to speakers all throughout the restaurant very loudly so we could barely hear each other talk & it seemed like they were doing something new every 15 minutes. The coconut & broom race was very amusing to watch though. We definitely won't be going back to that one.

3/1 Breakfast - Garden Grove (Swan): B. We originally had ADRs at Boma's, but it was raining & a few of us overslept so we decided to stay at our hotel. We randomly picked Garden Grove & it turned out to be a character buffet. It's a pretty restaurant with a giant tree in the center & the characters were very funny. The characters were Pluto, Goofy & Chip & Dale. We'd definitely recommend this to anyone with kids who like those characters because they spent a lot more time on the floor and at tables than at Crystal Palace. The food was good, just a general breakfast buffet.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad that they were generally good :)

ryobi88
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
ahh the crystal palace for breakfast we do it every time we go i love it there thanks for the report :mickey:

goofybiz
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Just returned from Disney 2/21-28

We had the dining plan for the first time and we tried to make the most of it. Listed below are the TS that we dined at and our opinions

2/21 Trail's End Pretty good, ribs were delicious but not much variety as in prior years
2/22 Lecelliers Great as others had noted. The NY strip was tender, cooked to our liking. Bread choices were good. However, the creme brulee was not good.
2/23 1900 Park Fare Dinner menu has changed drastically since last year. Too much specialized food. Very disappointed
2/24 O'hana's Food was great as usual. Our waiter, Greg from OK was terrible. Waited forever for service and he threw the cutlery at us. Had to wait for at least 15 minutes for shrimp.
2/25 Chef Mickey's Food was OK not much variety. First our party of 6 was set in the corner and then we requested to be moved. Very disappointed
2/26 Crystal Palace Food was OK again but not much variety in meats Very disappointed
2/27 Whispering Canyon Great food and fun.

Counter service foods were way too much food

Used our snacks very sparingly and used them on the last day for muffins, fruit bowls and vegetables

Overall the dining plan is well worth it once you figure out how to use it. Will book reservations at more service restaurants rather than buffets next time..

GoofyGirl18
03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I wish I would've known you could order a burger off the lunch menu at Sci-Fi even if you're there during dinner time! None of us enjoyed our meal there last time!

TennesseeTink
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
2/24 O'hana's Food was great as usual. Our waiter, Greg from OK was terrible. Waited forever for service and he threw the cutlery at us. Had to wait for at least 15 minutes for shrimp.

We had Greg in June '08. He was so horrible that I sent a letter to Disney complaining about him. Every trip, I keep a list of CMs that go above and beyond, and then I send a letter commending them. This was the first time I ever included a complaint. With that being said, we make sure to eat at O'Hanas every trip. LOOOOVE it!!!

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
:mickey: Thanks for your report. Really enjoyed hearing both the good and not so good. We have had the same experience at Ohana, poor service spoils the meal. So much so that we left it off our ADR's for April.

dixielandings
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm so disappointed to hear these reports about 'Ohana. It's been one of my favorite places since the first time we dined there. Maybe it's b/c we do breakfast there instead of dinner. But I've always loved it.

mouseketeer mom
03-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I love hearing what worked out, and what didn't. Too bad about your Ohana's experience. Usually its fantastic.

pdrlkr
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :smickey:

MistressGracey999
03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Amazing how service can make or break your meal...

We had Cousin Ed at O'hana's, and he was terrific. He definitely "made" the meal. So much so that when making our ADR's this year my DS12 said "Be sure to ask for Ed!" and it's been a couple of years since we were there.

If Cousin Ed reads this board, thank you! :number1:

SBETigg
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Great reviews, thanks! I love Raglan Road. I'm sorry you had an off night at 'Ohana, and on your birthday, too. What a shame.

grumpydude
03-08-2009, 02:48 PM
O'hanas is great for kids. The activities make it fun, but if ya don't have kids, then the singing and dancing get old.

emmatink
03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
That is sad about Ohana's because my husband loved the food, but I do have to say we did have a really good waiter, so maybe that made the dinner better.