PDA

View Full Version : Vet Charges

thrillme
03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Here's a weird question.

I've been fortunate through the years to not have to take my animals to the vet for little more than shots.

My oldest cat (about 19 "maybe" even more) has started to go downhill a bit with arthritis :(. I want to do what I can to make her comfortable but I realize the time may be nearing. She recently I suspect jumped wrong and messed up the leg even worse. Xrays confirmed "arthritis" in the "ankle" but the leg is most likely just a bit of a sprain.

When I took her to the vet the last time it was a $450 bill just for "tests".

$150 xrays
$50 exam
$50 radiology exam
$25 Pain meds
$25 Vitamin B shot
$150 Senior Blood test

Is this "normal". I've taken my dog to an old country vet that a friend of mine went to (he recently retired) and he'd look the dog over and give her a shot (sometimes she has "allergies") and I'd be out of there for about $40. I really don't know WHAT is "normal". I didn't realize they were going to charge $50 to have a radiologist look at the "xray" to determine if the blot in her stomach area was a hairball (it looked like a hairball even to MY untrained eye).

There IS a possiblity that she'll need to go in for surgery to have a "hairball" removed but I don't know if that would even be "affordable" (I don't know if she could handle the anesthesia at her age). I'm tempted to get her results and just treat her with laxatone and pinaple juice (the vet said if you can get the cat to take pinapple juice it can actually "break up" the hairball then the laxatone pushes it out).

Any thoughts?

tinksmom02
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Unfortunately I think your prices sound about right (at least by NJ standards). We drop about $200 or so just on shots and heartworm meds for each of our 2 Labs each year. They seem to be really good at nickel and diming every little thing ($45 for this test, and $55 to read this test, etc.).

Carol
03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
$150 xrays
$50 exam
$50 radiology exam
$25 Pain meds
$25 Vitamin B shot
$150 Senior Blood test

Is this "normal". I've taken my dog to an old country vet that a friend of mine went to (he recently retired) and he'd look the dog over and give her a shot (sometimes she has "allergies") and I'd be out of there for about $40.

I work at an Animal Hospital and billing is my life.

$75 - X-ray
$35 - Exam
Radiology exam - We don't charge for that. However, there would be a $20 sedate fee in order to do the x-ray.
$10 - Pain Meds.
$10 - Vitamin B shot
$95 - Senior Blood test

I work for a Veterinarian that is also a dairy farmer and large animal vet. He strives to stay affordable so pets get the proper care.

Tick-Tock
03-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I just spent $170 for an exam and a blood test (checking kidney functions). It was $90 in December for an exam for an eye problem, a tear-duct test, and some ointment.

DizneyRox
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Seems high, but not unreasonable. I switched vets recently due to their high charges. I'm running about 30-50% cheaper after the switch, I feel better care at the new vet as well.

TinkerbellT421
03-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately, yes those prices seem about right in my experience. And I have two cats, and when I make an appt its $50.00 just for the appt. though they call it an "exam", and then its about $75.00 for annual shots, etc. And then depending on what else is needed or going on it just keeps going up. You dont want to know how much money I spent when one of my cats got an infection absess behind her stitches when she got spayed. $1500.00 later....yea that was a horrible experience. And all they did was cut her open again, remove the absess and stitch her back up. And then I had to pay for the pain pills and antibiotics OOP after the $1500.00...Vets are not cheap, and if they are I would be worried. I feel it might be kind of a "get what you pay for" type of treatment. I love my vet and wouldn't take any of my animals to anybody else.

Hull-onian
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
When Valentino needed to go the vet, for a few visits, it cost us $1,500. Then when we brought him there for his (resting place), it was $200. If we wanted his ashes, etc. it would have been much more. Yes, it is very expensive to care for our pets, but ya know, it is worth it. :puppy::cat:

Hull-onian
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, yes those prices seem about right in my experience. And I have two cats, and when I make an appt its $50.00 just for the appt. though they call it an "exam", and then its about $75.00 for annual shots, etc. And then depending on what else is needed or going on it just keeps going up. You dont want to know how much money I spent when one of my cats got an infection absess behind her stitches when she got spayed. $1500.00 later....yea that was a horrible experience. And all they did was cut her open again, remove the absess and stitch her back up. And then I had to pay for the pain pills and antibiotics OOP after the $1500.00...Vets are not cheap, and if they are I would be worried. I feel it might be kind of a "get what you pay for" type of treatment. I love my vet and wouldn't take any of my animals to anybody else.

:ditto: :cat:

MNNHFLTX
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
With a diabetic dog and then (more recently) a sick cat, I can empathize with your "sticker shock". I do think those charges are a bit on the high side, but not totally unreasonable, based on what our vet charges.

If you do feel that you will be facing financial difficulties down the road with medical care for your kitty, level with your vet. IMO, some vets (like doctors) assume that unless someone objects or questions the need for a test or procedure, that there is no reason not to do it, even if there might be an less expensive alternative. For example, one of our previous cats (now an angel) had kidney failure and had to have frequent subcutaneous fluid administration. Rather than bring him into the clinic three-four times a week and paying $19 each time for the tech to give the fluids, I learned to to do it at home, which was a lot cheaper and less stressful for the kitty. Of course, I'm not advocating giving your cat inadequate care, just make sure you understand why a test or treatment is being done and what the impact will be on you and your pet. Sometimes it's possible to adjust the plan of care so that you can focus on the most important issues.

Stitchahula
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
My first 2 labs were nicknamed the million dollar dogs. They both needed MRI's and various other tests done. Shealin had such bad arthritis in her spine some days she had a hard time walking. We would take her to get accupuncture treatments when it would be really bad. We also had pain meds for her, and treated her medically. When I went to the vet the other day with my 3rd lab and the bill came to 200.00 I thought it was cheap. I wasn't used to walking out of there with such a low bill.

kakn7294
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, it's about normal. You may be able to find less expensive care if you search around but sometimes it's just not worth it. I tried to find a cheaper vet when I was planning to get kittens but found that everywhere I called, most fees were comparable or offset each other. We ended up back at the vet we had used previously. We had been happy (for the most part) with the service but had sad memories of lost pets and thought the prices there were expensive until I compared. Since I don't want to drive a significant distance with two squalling cats, I'm happy to pay their prices.

Marilyn Michetti
03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh, my goodness. Cody, our Chow has a room at the Vet's office with a star on it. We never get out with much less than $400. - $500, unless she's having surgery, then it's lots more.

She gets her teeth cleaned once a year with all the shots, tonail trim, and blood work, but she's part of our family and we'll do anything reasonable to keep her going. If it becomes "hopeless", we'll let her go.

When we take her to the vet, we know that the Disney card will get pumped up a bit.,:mickey:

It's not easy, and my heart aches for you.:dog::cat:

thrillme
03-03-2009, 01:53 AM
I've been really fortunate so far. When she had kittens so many years ago (I adopted her as a stray)...She had a sore on her neck. I might have paid something to the tune of $30 for exam and salve. I later got her spayed at Man and Beast for $25. Shots usually run between $30-$42 at one of our "mobile" clinics.

I'm still just in shock. I haven't heard back from the vet yet but I'll give her a little more time to call since the tests and xrays went "out" to a lab. I guess I'm becoming even more bugged because I took her in for her "hobbling" and I'm not sure that problem is going to be resolved.

Even though her leg still seems to be bothering her she's still getting around and not complaining (until of course I shove the pain pill down her throat). I honestly belive that I have recently become the fastest, most efficient kitty pill giver in the world. She will NOT take a pill in ANY form on her own...no matter HOW creative you are in hiding it. The DOG will gladly take ANYTHING if it even remotely tastes like food.

MNNHFLTX
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Even though her leg still seems to be bothering her she's still getting around and not complaining (until of course I shove the pain pill down her throat). I honestly belive that I have recently become the fastest, most efficient kitty pill giver in the world. She will NOT take a pill in ANY form on her own...no matter HOW creative you are in hiding it. The DOG will gladly take ANYTHING if it even remotely tastes like food.Although it sounds like you've got your routine down in giving the cat her pills, there's a device out there called a pill gun that can help tremendously. It sort of looks like a syringe; you stick the pill in the rubber tip at the end and then use the plunger to pop the pill down the back of their throat. Works like a charm for us. Ask your vet--we bought one from our vet for just a couple of dollars and are thankful every day we did. :yes:

gueli
03-04-2009, 03:39 AM
To thrillme-
Last year my 19 year old cat started to take a turn for the worse, she later died.
The vet who we work with, a very kind and caring person, made it clear to me that we would do what we could to help zelda live her life to her best capabilities. We did what we could, and I kept her as healthy as I could, but sadly (eventualy) she passed away.
Surviving surgery is probably not likely, nor reccomended at an advanced age. The lab results will tell you more about the cats chances, but I would reccomend not to overdo it- that is to do what you can to keep your cat as healthy as possible, and as comfortable as possible.
Vet prices can vary greatly- and some of the more inexpensive vets are as good as the more expensive ones. Check around if you are not happy with the vet (or prices- I mean honestly what did the x-ray tell you that you did not already know ? ) In the end, it comes down to 2 things- what you can do and what you can afford. If we could do what we wanted- most all of our pets & family members would live forever...
Good luck.
:mickey:

DisneyDog
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
We had a very bad experience once with a local vet who had a gorgeous office and charged a fortune for his services...how do you think he was paying for the gorgeous office? He did a urinalysis on my dog, nicked his bladder and the dog ended up with a UTI. The vet refused to admit that he shouldn't have needed to catheterize the dog and insisted that the dog had bladder cancer. My dad, a UROLOGIST, talked to the vet, who told my dad he didn't know what he was talking about. They had a huge fight. We went to a different vet, with a much less-fancy office and much more reasonable prices, who gave my dog antibiotics and he was fine. Lived a few more years to the age of 14. My dad wanted me to sue the original vet, but I just wanted to get away from him for good.

I would shop around. You don't know if you are being taken if you don't compare.

pixiesmimi
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Our DD lives in Auburn where the Vet School is. She checked into taking her dogs there to be spayed and neutered because you would think it would be cheaper at the school where students are working. But they were so expensive that she brought them down here two hours away for about half the price at our vet. All of the independent vets up there charge more because they know people will pay it or don't have a choice. Down here, the vets do everything they can to help people afford the care and it is good care.

Our cat was about 18 last year when we had her put to sleep because of liver and kidney failure. They didn't even charge us for it. She had a lot of medical problems the last few years but we couldn't justify putting out that much in procedures and tests for one that age. Our DD did pay a lot for tests though on her beloved Golden Retriever whom she lost anyway despite the expensive care. So I would say check around before committing to anything even if you have to go to another town nearby or something. Smaller towns are usually cheaper.