PDA

View Full Version : Park hopping by water transport

paragon
03-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I was looking at google earth, and see that DHS, Boardwalk resort area and Epcot are connected by a small waterway and I know you can go from Boardwalk to Epcot by Disney water transport, but I was wondering, can you go from Hollywood Studios, by boat, over to Epcot?
And, if so, has anyone done this and how long does it take?
Thanks!

Seasonscraps
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Yes, you can go from DHS to Epcot via boat. It takes about 30 minutes - the boat also makes stops at the Swan/Dolphin, Beach/Yacht Club and Boardwalk.

paragon
03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the super fast response! We are going at the end of April, with another couple and thier children. We were thinking of some type of boat ride, and my concern was how the little ones (and DW ) would fare on the water LOL! This seems like it might be a good test run, with no extra expense.

chrisie703
03-01-2009, 10:07 AM
We have done this also. You could also get off at one of the hotels and walk, there are nice walkways that go all the way from one park to the other.

CanadianWDWFan
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
We find that if you miss a boat or if there is a huge line that it is usually quicker to walk between the parks. It is about a 15 minute walk from the Studios to the Boardwalk and about 5-10 minutes from the Boardwalk to Epcot.

Seasonscraps
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the super fast response! We are going at the end of April, with another couple and thier children. We were thinking of some type of boat ride, and my concern was how the little ones (and DW ) would fare on the water LOL! This seems like it might be a good test run, with no extra expense.

It's a very calm boat ride so they will probably be ok. Like others said the walk can take just about the same amount of time, but it's also nice to sit in the shade for a bit to rest up before walking all over one park after walking all over the first one. Good luck with the test run! :)

CanadianWDWFan
03-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention was the smell of diesel fumes. We found that the smell almost overpowering. Once they close the doors on the boat you are trapped. Also the A/C is barely strong enough to cool the cabin down.

Imagineer1981
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
It's a very calm boat ride so they will probably be ok. Like others said the walk can take just about the same amount of time, but it's also nice to sit in the shade for a bit to rest up before walking all over one park after walking all over the first one. Good luck with the test run! :)

I say forget the walk, take the boat and relax. You do enough walking that you need the break. I always catch quick cat nap and throw the feet up...its great

sisterdisco
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
We did it, and it took what seemed like FOREVER. I think it was a solid 30-40 minutes.
We went from Epcot to Boardwalk to Beach Club to Swan/Dolphin, to DHS.

dream6
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Although the diesel smell can get pretty strong - probably more so in the summer - I've always enjoyed the ride. It's very relaxing and you can see all the Epcot resorts which are my personal favorite. :mickey: The walk isn't bad either, but with small kids the boat ride would probably be better. Hope the test run goes well!!

joelkfla
03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
If you're looking for a boat ride just for fun, I would suggest the boats between PO or OKW and DTD. They are open boats, and travel thru a very nice, scenic canal.

The Friendship Boats between Epcot & DHS are the same as the ones that cross World Showcase Lagoon. There is only one outdoor bench at the back of the boat, where the engine noise is very loud. The rest of the seats are inside, the windows are sealed shut, and, as someone said, it can get uncomfortably hot and smelly in there.

The boats out of MK to the various resorts are also very nice shorter rides. The smaller launches, though, sit very low in the water, and the water in the lagoon can get a bit choppy at times -- something to consider if concerned about your kids' reactions.

prttynpnk
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
We took advantage of the boats alot during our last trip- even crowded and a little diesel-y it felt so relaxing compared to another bus ride!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-06-2009, 10:46 PM
If it's just a boat ride you are looking for, you can also take the ferry over to the Magic Kingdom. And the boat from POR or POFQ to DTD is also very nice, you'll even get to see the Tree House Villas.

dumbo ears
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Yep you can do this. Its not a bad boat ride but is a relaxing one.

magicofdisney
03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I've ridden those boats numerous times and the window are open quite often. I guess it depends on your captain and the weather if they open them or not.

If you have the extra time it can be relaxing, but it can be time consuming depending on the crowds.

Mickey91
03-07-2009, 12:19 PM
It is a nice ride if you want 20 - 30 minutes to relax. If you are in a hurry to get there... The bus may or may not be faster. It depends on when you get to the bus stop etc. We usually take the boat.

mainemajor
03-14-2009, 05:48 PM
We did it, and it took what seemed like FOREVER. I think it was a solid 30-40 minutes.
We went from Epcot to Boardwalk to Beach Club to Swan/Dolphin, to DHS.

We only do it when we want some down time and we are going between parks. Otherwise it is much much faster to walk. But like others have said you can always get off at one of the many stops along the way.

Maleficent's Dad
03-14-2009, 08:46 PM
We've timed it, and here's a breakdown; keep in mind, you must wait for the boat (anywhere from 5-25 minutes!). Also, times listed include time tied up at the previous stop!

1. DHS to Swan Dolphin: 7 minutes
2. Swan/Dolphin to BC/YC: 9 minutes (yes, it's longer)
3. BC/YC to BW: 5 minutes
4. BW to Epcot: 7 minutes

Total length of time once you ARE ON A BOAT is 28 minutes (pretty consistent).

Time to walk, with kids, at a regular pace from DHS to EPCOT - including taking a "short cut" through the Boardwalk pool: 19 minutes.

In other words, if you have to wait for a boat, and/if you step up your walking pace, walking can be significantly faster, and regardless of pace, walking is always faster (if time is important). Keep in mind, summer walking can be brutal! :thedolls:

WVParkfan
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes, walking is faster.

But, we always take the Friendship Boats from Epcot to DHS as it is "part of the experience" for us.

It is a relaxing ride, and if you are able to get one of the very few seats outside (at the back of the boat), it can be very scenic.

Fun and free.

IamBelle
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
We love the boat transportation, but walking is faster. Last trip, we were on the boat a lot, and we were only forced to stop once when there was a lightning storm. (They pulled over to the dock and didn't leave until it was over) So if you are not in a hurry, take the boat, just watch the sky before you decide to get on! Have fun!

PixieMagic
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Be careful when you take it - we made the mistake of taking it from EC to HS at closing because HS had extra magic hours....BAD IDEA - we didn't have to wait for a boat but it took over an hour!!!!

j&j
03-20-2009, 05:24 PM
the ride is about 15 -20 mintues. you can take the boat from ecpot to the stuios or take the walkway from bw to the studios.:mickey::mickey: