PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Ride That Never Was

MistressGracey999
02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi all! I just finished reading a great book called "The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak". Over the years I have read many books about the history of the Disney parks, and have read many descriptions of attractions that never came to be. So, my question is...out of all of these wonderful ideas for attractions that we have heard of, which one do you most lament not coming to fruition?

Seasonscraps
02-27-2009, 11:06 PM
can you list some of them?

CaptSmee
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Beastly Kingdom. I read somewhere that Dueling Dragon's was created for WDW for the land that never was...I'm hoping it'll still see a version created in the future. AK needs another land added!

the other micki
02-28-2009, 02:47 PM
This isn't an attraction really, but I was disappointed when they nixed the idea for a PIXAR character meal.

Scott C
02-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Western River Expedition -- hands down

Thanks
Scott C

MistressGracey999
02-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I have to agree with Scott! Western River Expedition sounded fabulous. It was to be a PotC-type ride, but with a wild west theme! It was to be WDW's answer to DL's PotC, but the public demand for a PotC at WDW won out. I want both, personally. WRE was to be in an elaborately themed area called Thunder Mesa that would have featured hiking trails, a pueblo village, and BTMR, as well as the WRE dark ride.

Off the top of my head, some other attraction ideas were Candy Mountain, a ride through a, yes, Candy Mountain. It was nixed because it was supposed to be built to look like rock candy, crystalline in appearance, and it was thought it would be too hard to keep it looking shiny and nice.

Also batted around was an idea for a land at AK based on Disney villians! How cool would that be?

Another was an idea for a high-speed People Mover to take the place of the current TTA. It was possibly going to be themed after The Incredibles.

Originally, there was going to be a gondola ride in the Italy pavilion in Epcot.
Supposedly, the gondolas are tied up in the lagoon now just for looks, but I always forget to look for them.

There are tons of others, but that's all I can remember at the mo'...

wdwfansince75
02-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Hard to evaluate something that never was....But from the write ups on the Western River Expedition, it may well have been the best of all the rides that never were...But there was design work done for a Rhine River Ride for the German pavilion in EPCOT....and talk of a Mt. Fuji ride, similar to the Materhorn, for Japan...either would have been a wonderful add to WS....
And there were several "never built's" for DHS....including something called "Baby Herman Runaway Buggy Ride" ...guess that they thought it was too much like the already existing runaway strollers throughout the parks.

Believe there were also plans for a Mary Poppins ride in Fantasyland....instead of Peter Pan....

cindchan
02-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, the various rides for the countries of World Showcase would have been awesome!! And that Western River thing sounded really cool too!

I don't know of any of the "planned" rides were, so I only know what I read in this thread.

WDWdriver
02-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I most regret that Beastly Kingdomme was not built at AK. Most Disney fans know that Animal Kingdom was supposed to have a section of the park devoted to animals that exist only in legend and mythology (note the dragon in the park's logo). Beastly Kingdomme was that section, featuring the Dragon Tower ride and the Quest of the Unicorn attraction.

Beastly Kingdomme hasn't been built, but it hasn't been scrapped either. Watch for future additions to AK.

MistressGracey999
02-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow, a Mt. Fuji attraction! That's a new one for me...

The best thing about WDW vs. DL is that WDW has plenty of room to expand. So who knows what we'll see in the future? I've noticed that the Disney Imagineers generally never "scrap" an idea completely. Sometimes a new incarnation of an old idea crops up...for example, there IS a Thunder Mesa "land"...it's at Tokyo's DisneySea. Japanese folks are apparantly enthralled with the history of the US, particularly the wild west era. So Thunder Mesa was a natural choice for this park. But, WRE never made it. I believe that this version of Thunder Mesa has a BTMR and a Haunted Mansion attraction called Phantom Manor, both of which tie into a gold-rush theme. Interesting, for sure!

The former20,000 Leagues area of MK is just begging for a new attraction. Since it's Fantasyland...hmmm....maybe Candy Mountain? LOL...I won't hold my breath.

CaptSmee
03-01-2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks
Scott C

I'd forgotten about that! It looks and sounds incredible! Also at one point they tossed around a Matterhorn ride for a Swiss pavailion too...

Luv Eeyore
03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I also wish that the Beastly Kingdomme had been built (and still hope it will be someday!).

I saw some concept drawings once for the mountain themed roller coaster for the Japan pavillion and loved it. I also vaguely recall hearing about a dark ride based upon The Little Mermaid that sounded interesting.

Stu29573
03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I have that book! I think it was wise to scrap Candy Mountain, but a Matterhorn in a Swiss section of Epcot would be very cool. I have often thought the Western River Expedition would have been very very cool. The Marc Davis artwork for it is great! I kind of like the idea of the track on Space Mountain going in and out of the ride, like on the first concepts, but I can see why they put it all inside. That's all I can think off right off the bat!:mickey:

dumbo ears
03-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Mine would have to be the rhine river thrill ride that was never built in Germany pavillion but the building that would have housed it is still there. This would have been a great ride I think.

Meteora
03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I most regret that Beastly Kingdomme was not built at AK. Most Disney fans know that Animal Kingdom was supposed to have a section of the park devoted to animals that exist only in legend and mythology (note the dragon in the park's logo). Beastly Kingdomme was that section, featuring the Dragon Tower ride and the Quest of the Unicorn attraction.

This is my "greatest ride that never was," I think. I know AK is more than a zoo, but realistically, if you don't like roller coasters, getting saturated, or things jumping out at you, your ride options are extremely limited. And while the animals are great, I live close to the Bronx zoo, and the AK really doesn't offer me anything in terms of animal viewing that I can't get for much cheaper admission much closer to home. My days at AK generally consist of a viewing of the Nemo show, a viewing of Flights of Wonder, maybe Kilamanjaro, and then leaving, maybe glancing at some animals on my way out. I think a land devoted to imaginary or mythical creatures would have really given AK a special edge to set it apart. It would have brought some real magic to that park, and distinguished it from something like the Bronx zoo. I, like others, hope it will still come to be one day.

AmandaChan
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
When I watched the Little Mermaid DVD and I realized that they were going to make a ride and didn't for whatever reason I was one sad puppy. On the DVD they have a virtual ride and show you what it would be like.. it was a lot like Peter Pan as you go through the scenes and you're hanging from your rail. Then you go "underwater" and it's so wonderful! I know the Snow White ride and the Pooh ride are kind of like this as they go through scenes, but the LM ride would have been so amazing if they would have done it just like they wanted.

MistressGracey999
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I agree with these posts! Dark rides are what Disney does best, IMO, and they should not stop doing what makes them so special...

I, too, wish AK were different. We went there for the first time in '07, and won't return to this particular park until something gives. It needs alot more Disney magic, IMO, and the Beastly Kingdomme would be PERFECT. Also, some more non-roller coaster, non-saturating rides spread throughout the rest of the park.

Celestria
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
how about the greatest ride that never came back because they goofed up on the remake so many times? poor dreamfinder....

CaptSmee
03-02-2009, 12:18 AM
When I watched the Little Mermaid DVD and I realized that they were going to make a ride and didn't for whatever reason I was one sad puppy. On the DVD they have a virtual ride and show you what it would be like.. it was a lot like Peter Pan as you go through the scenes and you're hanging from your rail. Then you go "underwater" and it's so wonderful! I know the Snow White ride and the Pooh ride are kind of like this as they go through scenes, but the LM ride would have been so amazing if they would have done it just like they wanted.

There's a version of this concept being built at Cafilornia Adventure and rumours that it may be coming to WDW as well in the future! Let's all cross our fingers!

Mousemates
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM

ditto

Ian
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Another was an idea for a high-speed People Mover to take the place of the current TTA. It was possibly going to be themed after The Incredibles.That failed, because Rocket Rods at DL proved to be a nightmare to keep up and running.

When I watched the Little Mermaid DVD and I realized that they were going to make a ride and didn't for whatever reason I was one sad puppy. On the DVD they have a virtual ride and show you what it would be like.. it was a lot like Peter Pan as you go through the scenes and you're hanging from your rail. Then you go "underwater" and it's so wonderful! I know the Snow White ride and the Pooh ride are kind of like this as they go through scenes, but the LM ride would have been so amazing if they would have done it just like they wanted.This ride is coming to California Adventure (saw the concept art for it last month at the Blue Sky Cellar) and there are rumors that it could eventually make its way to WDW. It definitely won't happen until after the economy recovers, though, if at all.

I think I'd probably pick WRE as the ride I would have most liked to see come to fruition. It would have been unique to WDW and, having been planned for back when WDI was still cranking out quality attractions, probably would have blown our socks off.

Imagineer1981
03-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks
Scott C

Agreed. Marc Davis at his finest. It actually evolved into what is frontierland with Big Thunder Mountain and the theme of the land. Such a great book!

MistressGracey999
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Another great book by the same author about the Haunted Mansion in all its different forms is out, too....A must for any Mansion fan, or anyone interested in the fascinating history of this particular attraction.

Speaking of the Mansion, and "coming attractions"...has anyone else heard about a possible Mansion-themed gift shop being added to WDW? I THINK I read this over on Jim Hill's sight, wouldn't swear to it. I know alot of folks probably think WDW needs another gift shop like the devil needs a heat lamp, but I for one would love to see this come to be once the economy is stronger. I absolutely LOVE the themed shops at WDW. I actually like exiting an attraction into a themed shop (Pooh, PotC, ToT, etc) especially if the shop is themed to the MAX. I love that the Pooh shop smells like honey, and I always stick around for a few, even though I have no interest in Pooh merchandise. I don't feel as if I'm being fleeced unless I HAVE to pay for something.

Another ride idea that seems to have been put on the back burner for now is a Cars themed ride in Toontown that would be similar to the Roger Rabbit ride at DL. What do you all think of that? I have never been to DL, so I have no idea whether or not this would be a good addition to WDW or not.

AmandaChan
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
This ride is coming to California Adventure (saw the concept art for it last month at the Blue Sky Cellar) and there are rumors that it could eventually make its way to WDW. It definitely won't happen until after the economy recovers, though, if at all.

Yeah I remember there being some talk on here about it coming to CA. Maybe someday we will make it out there.

MistressGracey999
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Oooops, I goofed everyone!:blush: In an earlier post I described a Thunder Mesa land at Tokyo Disney, but it is actually at Disneyland Paris! I'm sure no one gives a big hooey about this, LOL, but I felt obligated to correct myself just in case someone does.

Upon reading further about the Phantom Manor at DP today, I realized what a truly cool attraction this is. For anyone who doesn't know much about it, the rides REALLY breaks the mold at the end when you plunge down into an open "grave" and explore a literal ghost town rather than the more traditional graveyard scene at the other parks. The ghost town ties into the theming of this particular mansion (wild-west themed) very well!!

Has anyone been to DP and experienced this attraction?

tiggerbuddy
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Mt. Fuji ride

fielin
03-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Upon reading further about the Phantom Manor at DP today, I realized what a truly cool attraction this is. For anyone who doesn't know much about it, the rides REALLY breaks the mold at the end when you plunge down into an open "grave" and explore a literal ghost town rather than the more traditional graveyard scene at the other parks. The ghost town ties into the theming of this particular mansion (wild-west themed) very well!!

Has anyone been to DP and experienced this attraction?

I have !

This is a beautiful attraction, that includes most of the upgrades that were done in WDW. The western ghost town is nice, although I still prefer the more traditional ending.

There is indeed a backstory that links Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain here. The groom was working in Big Thunder Mountain and died there while the bride was waiting for him and.. she is still waiting.

This is a unique land in the world of Disney because the whole land tells a unique story. There are a lot of details there that link every attraction to the other - adding such depth to the concept that I still wonder why they don't do this everywhere !

Disneyland Paris truly is the most beautiful park out there !

SpecJoe Magic
03-15-2009, 05:34 AM
I think I'd probably pick WRE as the ride I would have most liked to see come to fruition. It would have been unique to WDW and, having been planned for back when WDI was still cranking out quality attractions, probably would have blown our socks off.

I also have a feeling that Western River Expedition would have been amazing. For one thing, Marc Davis was the leader of the project seeing as how it was his idea, and many of us know how well the attractions that he worked on turned out (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion). Although, quite a bit of what was intended for the attraction might have come across as politcally incorrect in this day and age, so it may have been heavily modified at this point. Plus, Splash Mountain, a fan favorite, might have never made its way to WDW because it is located about where WRE would have been. So, as much as I would have liked to experience WRE, maybe it's for the best that it never became a reality. It could just be me being overly optomistic about the situation, though.