PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Coral Reef!!

mdricks
02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Got a dinner ressie and dont know what to expect. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

thx!
m
:number1:

jcvalenti
02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
There's a lot of threads in recent months discussing Coral Reef - try searching for the phrase and you'll find alot .... here's a recent one with lots of opinions:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=149585

I really like the place; ambience was great and the food was as good, IMHO, as any other spot in Epcot (which means a lot less now than it used to ... but still).

Seasonscraps
02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I only went there once about 2 years ago - I really enjoyed my meal. The food was delicious, the service was attentive without feeling rushed, the ambiance is nice. Our table was towards the back of the restaurant so we had a really nice view of the whole tank.

I had my favorite dessert ever there -- butterscotch creme brulee. :D

My only negative was the excessive wait for our table - we arrived 5-10 minutes prior to our ADR time and waited at least an hour past our ADR time before we were seated. It was more annoying because there was no place to wait - if they had a lounge or more seating it wouldn't have been as frustrating.

Hull-onian
02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
We are going to Coral Reef for the first time too. We are looking forward to the dining experience. It shoudl be fun. My SIL and her GD are going to Teppan Edo that night, so I thought Coral Reef was a good alternative.:tasty:

jcvalenti
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
My only negative was the excessive wait for our table - we arrived 5-10 minutes prior to our ADR time and waited at least an hour past our ADR time before we were seated. It was more annoying because there was no place to wait - if they had a lounge or more seating it wouldn't have been as frustrating.

I've only been there once (last summer), but for what it's worth, we had a party of 15 seated at three tables, and we showed up 5 minutes early and were seated exactly at our ADR time. Very nicely done, on a busy night.

Sounds like they just had a crazy night on your visit ... which happens.

Seasonscraps
02-26-2009, 03:11 PM
I've only been there once (last summer), but for what it's worth, we had a party of 15 seated at three tables, and we showed up 5 minutes early and were seated exactly at our ADR time. Very nicely done, on a busy night.

Sounds like they just had a crazy night on your visit ... which happens.

That's good to know! I don't normally mind waiting a bit but it was pretty bad because it was uncomfortable. I hesitated to go back for that reason - maybe now I would give it another shot because I really enjoyed everything else. :)

Lynn J Mc
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
We enjoyed the food but also had to wait considerably past our ADR time. The service was slim to non-existent. We kept having to flag down other waitstaff to send ours by and still had to wait a while for her. Loved watching the fish in the tank though. And it does have a lovely under the sea atmosphere albeit a little loud under the sea!

MOJoe
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
You should try it at least once, just for the experience of dining with the fishes. As far as the food goes, the best salmon dish i ever had was here. But last year the menu had changed and it was not nearly as good. Not bad, just not wonderful.
Also, i am surprised that there is not more seafood on the menu. I mean really, why would you go to a place called Coral Reef and order steak? Catfish, by the way, does not qualify as seafood, in my book. Although the catfish is one of the specialties of the house. So if you are looking for great seafood, there are better choices within walking distance.
All in all, Coral Reef is worth a try. The setting is great, and the food is above average. And since the menu's are constantly being revised, who knows, maybe they will bring back that incredible blackened wild salmon with bacon crumbs.

GrmGrninGost
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
The Coral Reef has turned into my favorite restaurant at WDW. :mickey: We avoided it for a long time because of things we'd heard about it. Then we decided to try it about three years ago. We have been back three more times. The food has always been wonderful and the service impeccable. The one slight problem we have had is being seated. We have consistently been seated around 20-30 minutes late. I don't like to wait, but it has been well worth it!

tannermansmom
02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
We found the Coral Reef to be a nice meal and relaxing. We were seated towards the back of the restaurant on an upper level but we had a great view of the aquarium. I didn't want to be close to the aquarium so it worked out great. DH had the blackend catfish & I had the steak, both were good. I hope you enjoy your meal here. If you like martinis, try the blue glow tini (if they still have it).

mdricks
02-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Thx everybody. I am really looking forward to if now!

See you in the parks!
:number1: