PDA

View Full Version : party of six, added gratuity

disneynarula
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
When they say they add a gratuity for a party of six does that include a two year old who will not be on the dining plan?

We are going in June with my MIL, DH, and DSs (5 and 2). Are we going to get tacked with gratuity every time? TS is probably a non issue because we would leave the anyway. I will be a bit annoyed if it added on to a buffet bill. I think DH and tip more than average. I am a huge fan of grilled cheese. If I go to lunch and order grilled cheese for $3 I will still leave $2.50for a tip because the server work the same amount.

I do have a problem tipping 18% for service at a buffet.

KylesMom
02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately, the party of six is based on the number of people in your group, not who is actually eating. It is my understanding that even if you had an infant, you'd be charged the automatic gratuity. Ridiculous, actually . . . :(

DizneyRox
02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes, the size of the party is determined by the number of heads sitting at a table, NOT the number of people eating any food. If you have 5 adults and a 2 year old, you have a party of 6 and gratuity will probably be added automagically.

If you have one adult and 5 newborns, you have a party of 6 and gratuity will probably be added automagically.

vicster
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, they do add the gratuity onto a buffet.

disneynarula
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
That stinks. Does it apply at buffets as well?

This happened to us once a few years ago at a local restaurant. There were three Moms with three babies in infant carriers and they charged us for a table of six.:confused:

Do people just not tip? I always leave 20% so I guess I will save money at TS locations. I know it hurts the servers but I never leave extra tip if the gratuity is added in. It really ticks me off. It gives an excuse for a server to give terrible service. What is the motivation to give good service? It used to be you got good service at WDW no matter what but we all know that is not the norm nowadays.

smallworldmom
02-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes you have to pay the gratuity. We were in the world in Dec and had our 8 month old DD with us. She made us a party of 6 and you bet they charged us on buffets and all. The real kicker was there was only 1 time a waitress actually asked if there was anything they could get for her.
This is one Disney policy I don't agree with, but what do you do?:confused:

DizneyRox
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Stop the presses...

I think we've ventured from gratuity to meal charges... For gratuity, there's a head count, and 6 heads means automagic gratuity.

As far as I recall however. Children under 3 eat free at buffets. At a table service location, if you order a meal for the child (regardless of the age) you will be charged for it.

Gratuity is billed based on the amount of the bill, SO, at a buffet with 5 adults and one under 3 child, you WOULD be charged an automagic gratuity, but it should only be based on the the cost of the 5 adults that actually were charged for their meals. It's the same gratuity that you would have been expected to pay without the child in attendence. Disney thinks 18% is appropriate at a buffet, but that's another issue.

Table service would be based on the 5 adult meals and the child meal if you ordered one.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Has Disney started charging children under 3 for eating at buffets or has it always been this way?

disneynarula
02-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I really just wanted to know about the buffet. The TS makes perfect sense and something we would pay anyway. Then we don't have to do the math!:confused:

I would never tip 18% at a buffet.
You better believe our server will earn their keep.:thedolls:

Thanks, all my questions were answered.

disneynarula
02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
I just realized we are a party of five anway. Not sure where I got the extra person from.