PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space and American Adventure

murphy1
02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I just got back from my bday at Epcot and dinner and am going to do a report. But I had to just discuss these two attractions. Um, Mission Space, if you are in any way prone to anything, DO NOT GO ON IT!!!! I have a very strong constitution and the thing is, it kind of sneaks up on you. I both loved it and hated it! I also couldn't walk right for about an hour and 1/2 and I still feel a little off (I could be tired, but not sure). I am glad I did do it once, but that's enough for me in life :) I don't think I can look at Gary Sinise for awhile haha. The last time I went to American Adventure was about 15/20 years ago. I wish every single American could watch this right now, it reminds me of how we will always make it through the tough times, even in the darker times. This Canadian lady and I were talking and she really loved it. I also started tearing up, it was just so moving.

gwfx1031
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the update. My wife does not do well at all on spinning rides so she has been or ever will go on MS. I do have to say that Gary Sinise's hairdo has as much impact as the spinning does. I was not right for an hour afterwards too because of that.

Luv Eeyore
02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
I think they have a "mild" version where there is no spinning involved. Did you try that version?

medic9016
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I think you are giving MS a bad rap. There are two sides to MS. The original spinning side and the non-spinning mild side. You should ride both sides to compare the great difference.

#1donaldfan
02-25-2009, 12:16 PM
.....I love the original version, but once I tried the "lesser" one and did not like it at all.....it was all the same without the spinning....it reminded me of Star Tours.....nothing wrong with that, I just love the feeling MS gives you.....DD and myself rode it one year 3 times in a row....fun, fun, fun !!!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
02-25-2009, 12:36 PM
MS seems to affect everyone differently. I could ride it 4 times in a row with the spinning and walk right off without a problem. You just have to gauge who you are and try a side.

As far as American Adventure, I agree, I think its a great film, and I hope it reminds people that America was founded on more power for the people and smaller government and that we will make it through.

DixieBelle
02-25-2009, 12:46 PM
While I did enjoy Mission Space in its original format,
a comment by my DS that it made him feel bad was enough to keep us away during later visits. After Disney opened the non-spinning side (Green I think) we were once again able to enjoy the ride. Even though you do not experience the G-force, the show is still the same. The only negative were cast members making comments when we chose the non-spinning side. It did not bother me too much, my sons comfort and safety are the most important. However I wondered why they felt the need to make us feel as if we were not brave enough to take the full ride. :mickey:

Charlee
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I find Mission Space doesn't affect me - I could go on it 3 or 4 times in a row without any problem and enjoy it everytime but my sister always found that she was dizzy after one go! So I agree, everyone seems to experience it differently!

As for the American Adventure, it was the first time we'd done it last trip and I really loved it and this is from a British perspective! I love the pride that America seems to have for itself and its history - the "can do" attitude that I really admire!

SBETigg
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Shari, glad you're doing a report. I was waiting to hear more on your Victoria and Albert's dinner. :cool:

Mission: Space knocked my sister's family for a loop. They had to go back to their resort afterwards and didn't feel right for the rest of the day. Only her little one was fine and wanting to go again. For me, it was nothing. I can't do spin rides, can't even handle the teacups. But the wilder side of M: S was fine for me, and I loved it, was really glad I tried.

I haven't gone into American Adventure in years, but you're right. It may be time for a new visit.

afowl1017
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
For a gal who used to dream of being an astronaut, this ride is the end all be all. I remember hearing about this ride and could not wait! I must say the ride did not and still does not disappoint! Love it, love it, love it. (A dream that seems to have carried over to my ds 7, who also loves this ride!)

As for American Adventure, nothing makes me prouder to be an American...it just leaves you feeling great about the USA! How about those singers before the show....Liberty singers....Voices of Liberty? AWESOME! I heard them for the first time when I was there for Magic Music Days in the '90s. Their voices bring tears to my eyes. I become speechless.

AXOAlum
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't do spinning at all, but even for the milder version, DH says "not for me" because I am very claustraphobic. He said it would kill me just climbing in!

We love the American Adventure. I think it is pure Disney genius, and such a beautiful show. We didn't get to see it this last trip, but it is going to be first for us at WS when we visit Epcot next month!

To the OP - happy belated birthday! Hope it was great!