PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY..... but we need help.....

reneeandmark
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I have perused these boards for about 6 or so years now and hardly ever commented or posted, but I am so excited about our upcoming trip so I have to ask a few questions. We FINALLY have ressies for June. My family and my best friends family are travelling together. I want it to be perfect for them, but I need some ideas for dining. We have 3 adults, 2 teens and 2 kids. What would everyone suggest? I know we want to do Chef Mickey, but are not sure of any others. Thanks in advance for all the good ideas.

iheartdisney
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Our favorites include (but not limited to!):

Biergarten, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, Sci-Fi Diner (not great food but our teens and kids love it), Yak & Yeti, Boma, Ohana's.

That should get you started!

beksy
02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
:welcome: even though you're technically not new! Ask away, we love answering questions about Disney and I think there's probably someone on here that can answer anything about Disney! For food, I'd look at Jym's top-7 lists. Personally I think you might enjoy O'hanas for food and atmosphere, WCC is filling and fun (I love the skillet), 50's Prime Time Cafe is another fun restaurant. My favorite character meal is Garden Grill (only open at dinner) for the interaction, food, and service. I like Kona as a quieter choice and you might want to take a look at some of the restaurants around the World Showcase for new experiences. I usually go to San Angel Inn but its closing for a refurb and I don't know when it's opening again. If you have Princesses, the Norway restaurant might be a good option or of course there's always CRT! Have fun planning! :mickey: :party:

MistressGracey999
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Hello!

I wanted to weigh in on this, because planning our meals is one of my favorite things to do when planning our trips!

If you are planning to visit Downtown Disney, the T-Rex cafe is now open and would be a big hit with the kids.

We loved O'hana, the food is good, dessert is great, and the staff is super! It's a little "long on meats-short on veggies", though.

For counter service, we love the upstairs of Columbia Harbor House in MK. It's a nice little retreat.

We also liked Toy Story Pizza Planet In DS. It was totally uncrowded at peak lunch time, and the pizza was better than average.

Hope this helps, and have a GREAT time!:thumbsup:

c&d
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
I would suggest one of the dinner shows Hoop De Doo, or maybe a dinner package with Fantasmic.

One of our favorites is the Trail's End Buffet at Ft. Wilderness. You can't go wrong with Whispering Canyon for breakfast or Artist Point for dinner at Wilderness Lodge.

SciFi Diner, the food is good. Watching the trailers from the "cars" makes it a fun dinner.

#1donaldfan
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I'll suggest one TS and CS for each park that we love ..... I don't want to throw so much at you....anyway....

MK....CS Columbia Harbor House
TS Liberty Tree Tavern
AK.....CS Pizzafari
TS Yak n Yeti
EC.....CS Yorshire Fish Shoppe
TS Teppan Edo (Japan)
DHS....CS ABC commissary
TS ...sorry, don't really have one here..so I'll throw in T Rex from DtD....:mickey:

GoofyMom09
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I suggest Boma. There is a great selection of food, an awesome atmosphere and I think that the teenagers will think it is cool, too. Another good choice is Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios.

mrsgaribaldi
02-27-2009, 06:22 AM
My favorites are Le Cellier, Rose & Crown, California Grill, Brown Derby:thumbsup:

yjgirl32
02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I would also check out the Coral Reef in Epcot. Very relaxing to watch the fish swim. Good luck and have a great trip!

wdwfansince75
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Since this is your first trip in a while, and since this is certainly a new experieice for the teens and kids, to maximize park times, I would suggest table services at the parks, or on the monorail....and for the size of your party, ADR's are a must. Not sure if you intend to do EMH's, but try to determine which parks, which days.....

For your day(s) at MK....
Chef Mickey's is an excellent choice -short walk or monorail ride away from MK....Monorail also serves Poly (Ohana and Kona) and GF (1900 Park Faire is one of our favs)....

For EPCOT, try the character dinner at Garden Grill, or eat in the aquarium at Coral Reef...or try Beirgarten....Actually, no bad choices at EPCOT....

For Animal Kingdom, we really enjoy the Safari Breakfast...good food, and great character experience....

For DHS....we have enjoyed SciFi and H&V....you have more control of your time at H&V...or if none of the DHS eateries strikes your fancy, its a short boat ride to Boardwalk or to Yacht and Beach Clubs...several choices there as well....

For counter service, most serve the purpose....Some are better than others....we especially like Columbia Harbor House, but also enjoy Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's....and there's always Casey's....At EPCOT, we seem to all find something at the Electric Umbrella....hard to find tables at Sunshine Seasons....

Review the menus, and check out the write ups...We find that TS's in the parks are great breaks for the kids, and adults, and you are just steps away from the action once the meal is done.

Woozle
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Everyone pretty much covered the good ones. But we are also going in June and if you haven't made ressies for Chef Mickey's I would call them ASAP. Those ADRs are open at the 6 month point and we I made mine a month ago there wasn't a lot of openings.

Sarah

PlutoPlanet
02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Boma is our favorite. It is African inspired, but appealing to grownups and kids. It is unlike any other restaurants back home. We are dining there twice this summer. Chefs de France is excellent too. Make sure you get ADRs. Our favorite for steak is Le Cellier. The dinner sirloin is 14 oz. The maple creme brulee is great too. Whispering Canyon Cafe has very good barbecue in the evening. The wait staff has a few theatrical tricks to make dining even more entertaining. (The idea for the entertainment came from cast members, according to a former EVP, Lee Cockerell.)

HeyMoe
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Kona Cafe is always a must do for us.

reneeandmark
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Now I am even MORE excited (if that is at all possible). Hubby and I will be celebrating 17 years while we are there and hope to enjoy a nice dinner AWAY from the others. Ya'll are the best...

Insanity Clause
03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
We are going in April and have Rezzies at:

Chef's de France
Teppan Edo
Cinderella's Castle
Whispering Canyon
O'hauna
Le Cellier

kemps@wdw
03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
If it's in your budget, I recommend the Hoop-Dee-Doo.:thumbsup: LOTS of great food,and a corny but fun show.(ask the Pioneer Players about getting a member of your party in the "show"), O'hanas is family style (shrimp was excellent),:thumbsup: Whispering Canyon @ WL is family-style (loud and fun).:thumbsup: One of our fave dining must-dos is to head to Epcot and eat and drink our way "around the World". Plenty of variety for everyone!:thumbsup:

grumpydude
03-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Hoopdie doo at Fort Wilderness is fun for everyone, but not for pickie eaters. Whispering Canyon is my favorite, tons of food and lots of action.:number1::number1:

caryrae
03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
We did the Hoop Dee Doo show and had a great time. The food is served family style and is all-you-can-eat and the show is fun too.

Here is the menu from "info central" if it's still the same,

Menu:
Fried Chicken
Smoked BBQ Pork Ribs
Corn
Baked Beans
Tossed Salad
Bread
Strawberry Shortcake
Unlimited draft beer, wine, sangria and soft drinks.

KayDee
03-08-2009, 03:41 PM
We have done Ohanas with others who have come down for one time trips and they loved it.
Ohanas is sit up fot big partys has are most buffets.One not mentioned yet but a goody is Trail end buffet at Fort Wilderness.

dolphinmickey9170
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Now I am even MORE excited (if that is at all possible). Hubby and I will be celebrating 17 years while we are there and hope to enjoy a nice dinner AWAY from the others. Ya'll are the best...

May I suggest a delicious dinner at California Grill at the top of the Contemporary. The food is fabulous, and if you time it correctly, you could have a late dinner and step out on the observation platform and see the show from there. It is one of my faves!!!

As for the remainder of your family:

Hollywood and Vine
1900 Park Fare
BOMA
Crystal Palace
Chef Mickey's
The above places are all buffets, and if you have some pickey eater's, everyone will find something to eat.

O'Hana
Kona Cafe
Beaches and Cream
LeCellier
Garden Grill
Plaza Restaurant
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Mama Melrose's
Tappen Edo
Sci-Fi
PrimeTime 50's Cafe

This is just a small list of our favorites. I sure hope you have fun. Let us know what you experience!!

jcvalenti
03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Our Favorites:

Epcot - Teppan Edo, Coral Reef, Biergarden (for lunch), Rose & Crown (for beers)

MK - Crystal Palace character breakfast (to get into the park early) and Cosmic Ray's Starligh Cafe (if we plan poorly and get stuck eating in the culinary wasteland that is the MK)

AK - Jiko at the AK Lodge is a terrific experience and highly recommend (though a bit more formal than other Disney resort sit down places)

DHS - 50's Prime Time Diner for lunch, Mama Melrose for dinner before Fantasmic. Sci Fi Diner has great ambience but inexcusably poor food (and ridiculous menu choices).

Others -

Chef Mickeys - The King of Character Breakfasts

California Grill - for a nice special treat with a view of Wishes at night

Spoodle's on Boardwalk - great breakfast, mediocre lunch & dinner.

Beaches & Cream - best burgers at disney, terrific Ice Cream Sundaes and shakes.

Il Mulino @ The Swan - terrific NY Italian with a modern flair. Great italian wine list. Much better than Tutto Italia at Epcot if you're craving Italian.

Enjoy !