PDA

View Full Version : What are beignets?

Gregandmel
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Can anyone tell me what they are? We are thinking of staying at POFQ on our next trip and I keep hearing people mention them. Thanks!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Deep fried dough, rolled in powdered sugar...similar to a donut, but oh so much better....:) Made popular by Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans

pandkx3
02-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Yummy little square dougnuts covered in powdered sugar. We go to New Orleans quite a bit. Those little nuggets of ymmy are a must do every time:thumbsup:

afowl1017
02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I just ran across this thread.....and I could just kick myself. I have always wanted to try these beignets. Totally forgot that they are served over at the French Quarter and I was at Riverside just a year ago. :( Oh well, maybe I can try them next time.

Question: Are they as good as the Authentic ones in New Orleans?

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I've never had them at Disney world, but I would say the Cafe DuMonde's are hard to beat...especially with a cup of coffee, but beware their coffee is not for the faint of heart....would be interested to see if POFQ can compare them.

Andys5Toys
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Cafe DuMonde...those are some good memories!

If POFQ can get anywhere close, you have to try it as part of the experience. Good stuff!

MOJoe
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I believe they are made with two halves of dough, joined together and deep fried until they swell up like a balloon. So, i liken them to fried air with powdered sugar. They are quite tasty. Also, the cook who made them when i was there looked as authentic as the beignets tasted.
If you enjoy N'awlins, you will like POFQ.

vicster
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I had them at POFQ and they were great!!!

brewcrew26
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
They're little fried balls of goodness that make my belly happy. :blush:

scoot241
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
A thread about beignets on Mardi Gras... man y'all are making me homesick!

Beignets are delightful; the closest thing to compare them to are donuts. An average beignet is about 3" x 2" and looks somewhat like a pillow. It's deep-fried dough put on a plate and covered in powdered sugar (dusting does not accurately describe the amount of powdered sugar that should be used).

Café du Monde is the most popular place in the New Orleans area to get beignets. I have never had POFQ's, but I did have some at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DL and they were not nearly as good.

You should try some beignets when you can. They are absolutely delicious.

pandkx3
02-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I've never had them at Disney world, but I would say the Cafe DuMonde's are hard to beat...especially with a cup of coffee, but beware their coffee is not for the faint of heart....would be interested to see if POFQ can compare them.

I LOVE the coffe at Cafe DuMonde's!!!!

beksy
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm gonna have to make a trip over to POFQ when I'm at Riverside in May to try these. Yummy!

garthbarth1
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Beignets and Cafe Au Lait.....Heaven! Disney and Beignets.....HEAAAVEEENNN!!:cloud9:

JavaDuck
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
We had the beignets during our last August trip. There were good, we got ours right out of the fryer. Nice and warm and tasty. Not the best I've had but still good.

They do come covered in A LOT of powdered sugar. If you're not careful, you can end up wearing quite a bit of the sugar.

The beignets are a great way to start of your day!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
I LOVE the coffe at Cafe DuMonde's!!!!

ME TOO!!!!:mickey:

pandkx3
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
My kids love the hot coco, as well:mickey:

Tinkerfreak
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
They are little sweet powdery pillows of heavenly deliciousness.:thumbsup: I had read about them on these boards so decided to try them on my last trip. Wow they were so good I didn't even care that I was all covered with powdered sugar.

Laughin' place
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Perfect descriptions, all.
I have had them in Nawlins, at DL and at POR.
You should see the smiles on my boys faces when they awake in the cabin at FtW to see Dad has just returned from an early morning run to POR for a favorite breakfast treat !:cloud9:

the other micki
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Definitely a benefit of living in Louisiana (although I don't eat them all that often).

dream6
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I've never had them before but that will change next trip!:thumbsup: It seems like whenever POFQ is mentioned, the beignets come up as a must do, so they have been added to the list!

#1donaldfan
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
....the good people before me have told you what they are....but I can further say they are good enough to visit from the Riverside and carry them all the way back !!!!!:mickey:

BeccaO
02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
These sound really similar to what we call "fausnauts" her in PA Dutch Country. We just had fausnaut day on Tuesday!!! It's basically a doughnut without the hole, rolled in powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar or just plain. Some people eat them with molasses.