PDA

View Full Version : Question about child with autism and GAC

dntccc
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
We will be leaving for our trip to WDW in about two days. Having called WDW about our son, I was told to get a note from his doctor explaining his condition and any accomodations he needs. I have this note and was wondering what we can expect as far as riding the rides. Our son most likely would not do well in waiting for long periods of time in a crowded line. Would we be directed to wait in a less crowded area / directed to the FP line / etc.?

LarryBoy
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
If the ride has a Fast Pass line you will use that. Which is a short wait, but it is much less crowded. If a ride does not have FP, then you are usually directed to the handicap entrance.
How old is your son, and how severe is his autism? We can do so much more now then when we first took our DS almost 5 years ago. We used to fear fireworks and parades, now we love them. Last trip he sat through LMA, very loud, just because he knew I wanted to see it. We used to be afraid of characters now my son can hug them, get their autograph, and have his picture taken with them. My son went from wetting his pants and holding his ears in the Playhouse Disney show to sitting in the front row by the stage. Be patient and know your child. They will have a great time and it is very therapeutic. Take lots of pictures and let them be the judge of what they want to do. They will surprise you, and it's so neat to see them progress from trip to trip.
Sorry if I ramble. :blush: Let us know if you have any more questions.

Nini5055
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
If you have a Dr.'s note you can get a Guest Assistance Pass. That pass will allow you to use the handicapped entrances/exits on rides. It will shorten your wait with a large number of people and will also give you the ability to get onto the ride easier with a slightly shorter wait time. I do think WDW does a pretty nice job accomodating special needs individuals.

The first year I took my daughter she was hyper sensitive to sound...it was a HUGE adjustment and she spent her days with her hands over her ears (literally...it's in ALL our pics!!!) and refused to speak to anyone and like others she was intensely fearful of characters so we avoided the meet and greets. We are now able to tour the parks (3 years later) with little problem...occasionally she will cover her ears from a sound, but nothing like it was on our first trip. However, she is still unable to ride certain rides...she has an obsessive fear of some of them (she will expound on it for hours...days even). We do what she feels most comfortable with and I do my best to explain the rides in advance (she requires advance notice about everything!).

I also want to add that the CM's were always very kind and accomodating.

Call your hotel and get the specific information you will need to answer your questions and ease your mind. Do what feels most comfortable and "right" for you and your child...the rest should fall into place.

Happy Planning!!! :mickey: