PDA

View Full Version : Captain EO

goofy78
02-24-2009, 04:57 AM
So I just watched Captain EO on youtube. I have not seen that film since it was shown at the Imagination pavilion back in the day. What a blast from the past! I had seen it quite a few times when I was younger but had forgotten much of the film over the years. It was almost like seeing it for the first time.

FenwayGirl
02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I am going to have to go to You Tube and check it out. Loved Caption EO. I have a button from that attraction

Stan
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I've watched it on YouTube countless times. I even have a low quality DVD I bought on eBay several years ago before I found it on YouTube. But all any of these can do is just give a hint of what the 3-D theatre experience was like- that all has to come from memory. :(

I rate the likelihood of actually ever getting to see this film at WDW again down there with pigs flying, the bad place freezing over, and 25 cent gasoline. :(

WDW_Obsessed
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I recently youtubed Captain EO also to show my DH, and I was suprised to see how dark the film was. I really didn't remember any of it. It was almost creepy to me. I can't believe that I liked the attraction so much as a little girl...at least they tell me I did! :mickey:

When did this attraction get replaced? Does anyone know?

Tink1
02-24-2009, 10:55 AM
It closed in July 1994 I think. Our first trip with the kids was May of '94, I remember it closing shortly afterward.

Nanc

Imagineer1981
02-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Can you imagine that even being an attraction today? It was creepy and terrifying and represented everything great about the 80s.

goofy78
02-25-2009, 03:58 AM
I did think it was a bit creepy watching it the other day, but I remember really liking it as a kid. It is nice to take a trip down memory lane and watch it again even though it isn't in the original 3D format.

4myprincesses
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Can you imagine that even being an attraction today? It was creepy and terrifying and represented everything great about the 80s.

As a kid, I was there opening week and it WAS creepy!

:eek:

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for heads-up about vid on You Tube, I'll have to go check it out! I really liked Captain EO; I'd be happy to see it again over Honey I Shrunk the Audience (that has gotten so old to me!)

AXOAlum
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Star Tours version 1.0 featuring the "Thriller" dancers :mickey:

murphy1
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!! I had to see this movie every time, I first saw it as a teen, so it was great, height of his success, too bad what he's turned into. I love all the old stuff and miss it like Horizons, old SE. I am on a group on Facebook about Epcot 80's if anyone wants to join it.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Didn't they have this at the MK for awhile after it ended it's run at EPCOT? I may be totally misremembering, but for some reason I want to say that it had a short run at MK, possibly where Mickey's philharmagic is.

Am I totally confused :confused:

murphy1
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
You are thinking of the film Magical Journeys that played before Capt. EO that was sponsored by Kodak, Ghost.

thrillme
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Captain EO was the "cutting edge" in 3-D entertainment at the time. If I recall it starred Michael Jackson.

However...I don't think Michael Jackson and Disney quite go together anymore.

WDW_Obsessed
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
If I recall it starred Michael Jackson.

It did...it was all about MJ ;) And Angelica Houston also. It was directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by George Lucas. Big names!:mickey:

AdventurerKim
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I loved Captain EO! I've seen the You Tube video. We have at least one stuffed animal, and I have a pin! That was before pins were popular and plentiful. We used to have the white shirt with the rainbow on the front, but we got rid of those long ago. :(