PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound silly?

Sweetpea29488
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
My dh and I have been to Disneyworld at least 16 times. We've never rode Dumbo. I was saving it for when we have kids (haven't been blessed in that dept) so I want to ride it this time (me and dh) Is this silly for two adults to be riding Dumbo? I hope not because that's where we are headed on our next trip in August. :blush:

DisneyFr33k
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Remember those commercials that show a father/son or mother/daughter walking around Disney and when they pass by a reflection, the parent looks like a child? This is what Disney is about!! This is the time all our adult problems fade away and we revert back to childhood fun! So go ride Dumbo and don't think twice! :thumbsup:

Buttercup
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
You honestly think you'll look silly??? :silly:
There are adults walking around with Goofy hats and Minnie Mouse hairbands. You CAN'T look silly at Disney World. :D:mickey: Go ahead and enjoy the Dumbo ride. And if you look silly, then there will be about 25 other silly grown-ups on the ride with you too. :thumbsup:

ASweetLov
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree with Love2Travel....I am 25 and my fiance and I always head to Dumbo first, we dont mind being the only adults in line without any kids. We are kids at heart, and Dumbo is so much fun!

Ian
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Nah ... I rode Dumbo more than once before I had kids. Go ... ride ... enjoy yourself.

It's Disney! :mickey:

Sweetpea29488
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone:thumbsup: We usually head to space mountain first thing when we get to MK but this times we'll head for Dumbo (easy choice anyway since I believe space will be down while we are there). Thanks again.

KAJUNKING
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
me and my wife have no problem doing all the kid stuff at disney even when we dont have the kids with us

AmandaChan
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
DH and I rode Dumbo for the first time last year (after it being our third year in a row). We usually don't ride these rides because the lines are always long with no FP. Not that we have an undying desire to RIDE them anyways it's always fun to do something different or something you haven't quite done yet. It was fun to ride it at night (there was a smaller line) and we don't regret it.

Imagineer1981
02-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I say ride it. My wife and I were doing the same thing our last trip, we even rode Barnstormer because neither of us had

Sweetpea29488
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I say ride it. My wife and I were doing the same thing our last trip, we even rode Barnstormer because neither of us had

Barnstormer is also on our list of rides that we haven't done and will ride this year. :)

DisneyAggies
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
DO IT!! :thumbsup:

First time I rode Dumbo was 2 years ago! LOL

PrettyMinnie
02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Go for it! Everyone is a kid in Disney World! :minnie:

devoted93
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I've never ridden it, either. No biggie! If I had my choice, I'd never have gone on It's a Small World, either! :D

TheVBs
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
No way is that silly! Go for it! :thumbsup: When DH and I were there on our own BC (Before Children), we rode everything. :D

Wayne
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Go for it!

GrmGrninGost
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
As a 46 year old father of two, I say DO IT! For me and DW, it's a can't miss, even when we go by ourselves! At WDW everyone is a kid! That's the way Walt wanted it! :mickey:

cindchan
02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
I only rode it for the first time on my last visit in late 2007. And at the age of 37 no less. ^_^

joonyer
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I've ridden Dumbo (and Aladdin's carpets), but never Astro Orbiter (essentially the same ride, but mounted much higher in the air with rockets instead of elephants). I keep telling myself I'm going to do it every trip, but I keep chickening out (a little fear of heights) :blush:

Rogerwdwfan
02-23-2009, 09:32 PM
:mickey: Go for It Because I've never road it either and I have been there for the last eight years.:mickey:

GhostHost999
02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I say go for it, and make sure you take pictures! There's nothing wrong with riding a ride that is supposedly "for kids".

My mom is in her 50's and she still loves Dumbo and the Golden Carousel. So don't worry. :mickey:

hokies4life
02-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Just a quick related question...
Are the ride vehicles big enough for 2 adults to be in one "Dumbo" or would we each be in one? I don't want to split us up when the CM's would be expecting us to go in one. Thanks.

:chipdale:

AXOAlum
02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Go for it! Dumbo is a very magical ride, and you two will have a blast! There is no age limit for this ride, so go on and be kids at heart - there is no place on earth like Disney for that attitude! I do recommend getting in line first thing, however, as the line is deceiving. It may appear to be short, but when you factor in the slow loading and small capacity for each ride, the line adds up.

Go ahead and fly all the way up and grab a quick smooch - you'll be on :cloud9:

PlutoPlanet
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
The world would be a better place if EVERYONE rode Dumbo. Just not on the same day.

AdventurerKim
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I love Dumbo!! I always ride it, usually alone, so I can control the Dumbo since my DH likes to go up and down constantly. We've ridden Dumbo together and been comfortable.

KylesMom
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I ride it most every trip. However, DH is 6'5 1/2" tall and cannot fit in the Dumbo car. He's content to take my camera & snap some pictures of ME looking silly - after all, that's what we do at Disney! :mickey:

DakandZakMom
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I always ride it by myself with my mickey ears on :mickey:. If that makes me silly.... then I am silly, but I am proud of it!!:thumbsup:

javamama
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Dumbo is what it's all about isn't it, have fun, take it all in and have a special trip w/tons of new memories!

GoofyGirl18
02-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I've actually never ridden on Dumbo! All of you are talking it up so much that'll I'll have to try it now!

Toad_Passenger
02-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Amazingly enough I've never rode on Dumbo, either. Even when I was a child I never did. I probably thought it wasn't "cool." :D

Now that I'm taking my DD, that's all we talk about. She can't wait to "ride on elephants," as she says it. I guess part of me is excited to know that there will be one ride that both of us will be experiencing for the first time together.

beksy
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
We rode it (at 20 and 26) last trip after missing out on it for several trips. We are both on the heavy side and didn't want to be squashed or not be able to get Dumbo to go up so we rode seperately. It was a nightime EMH's around 1:00 a.m. and very magical to see that perspective. Mickey and Minnie were ridding with two kids while we were waiting to board which was cool. I thought my sister would jump the fence and pull the kid out to get to ride with Mickey! ;) We do all kinds of silly things at Disney and don't care what we look like. Our motto is that we are there to have fun and be kids again. Besides no one will ever see us again! Have fun! :mickey:

Tinkgirl28
02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Gor for it!! I was even thinking about doing that with my hubby when we go in april of this year!! I was thinking we have been on all the adult rides why not take some time and be a kid again and go on kiddie rides. Although peter pan is one of our favorite kiddie rides. Sometimes i feel silly standing in line for it when theres all these other parents with their kids but then i think im in DW why should i care!! ANyway go for it!! And have fun!!

Jeniflower
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Go for it, my sister and i are 32 and go on everything. the only ride that we find a bit tight is the barnstormer. )curse my bodacious behind) your only as old as your imagination and mine is set at 4 years

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't think I've ever gone on Dumbo but my sis & I did the Aladdin ride last year. And I didn't feel silly at all!

Sylvia
02-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Here's what I think. Adults are just big kids in WDW. Where else can we relax and enjoy ourselves and not worry about the next high priority suspense or overdue project? Don't worry about looking silly. Just look around you. There are a lot of "big kids" looking and acting silly, and having a great time doing it. By the way, Dumbo, the Carrousel and Peter Pan are always on my must list.

I remember very vividly the first time I took my Mother to WDW. I rode Dumbo alone and she was watching me and waving just like all the other parents. She even snapped a photo of her "little girl". I was over 21 at the time. That was also the time when a little girl in the elephant behind me said "Look Mommy. There's a lady riding in that elephant and she doesn't have a child with her!" The Mother was embarrassed, but I thought it was a riot. I was having the time of my life.

I always go to the Magic Kingdom on EMH mornings - primarily to ride Dumbo when the line is shorter.

So, I say, go for it. Have fun. Be a kid, if only for a few days. :thumbsup:

SandmanGStefani24
03-01-2009, 01:24 AM
if you think you're silly then there are a lot of silly people around intercot these days!

ride it twice i say!

:number1:

debandbub
03-01-2009, 08:27 AM
You go right ahead and do it! I had never been on it either- no kids, and my girlfriend is afraid of heights (YES-Dumbo scares her!) But she bravely agreed to ride it with me on my 39th birthday. I felt like a little kid- just how you are supposed to feel riding Dumbo. The Photopass people were there and took our picture- it's now one of my favorite memories!

spoiledraf
03-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I have a freind, ohh about 6'3", about 290, played on a National Championship Football team. he walked around for 6 days with Mickey ears. Now thats silly. You riding Dumbo is Cool! :thumbsup:

battle beast
03-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Disney Theme parks are for EVERYONE.

My 85 YEAR OLD uncle Went on DUMBO. YOu're definatly not too old!!! :number1::thumbsup:

dixielandings
03-01-2009, 12:31 PM
If it's silly, then you and I are silly together!

It occurred to me a couple of years ago at DL that one of the ONLY things at any Disney Park I had never done was Dumbo. The line is always SOOOO long and I kinda get it - elephants flying in a circle. Still, DH and I pride ourselves on getting into all of it. So we decided, Hey, let's wait until we have a child, then we can all go on together for the first time! So that's exactly what we're doing.

If this little bean in my body cooperates and sticks, that should be sometime next year!:secret:

PirateLover
03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Not silly at all. I LOVE riding Dumbo. In fact Dumbo at night is currently my desktop picture.
To answer another question, two average sized adults should fit. I am 5'3'' and just a few lbs overweight, and my fiance is 6ft and overweight and we fit ok.

dumbo ears
03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
naw thats not silly. Me and a buddy of mine are both about 6 foot 2 and im about 225 pounds and hes 300 pounds and we play football and don't look like the guys who would ride dumbo or the carosel but we have and will surely ride again. you are in WDW who cares who sees you do silly stuff. act like a child would:number1:

Celestria
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
nothing is silly in disney

dumbo_buddy
03-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Remember those commercials that show a father/son or mother/daughter walking around Disney and when they pass by a reflection, the parent looks like a child? This is what Disney is about!! This is the time all our adult problems fade away and we revert back to childhood fun! So go ride Dumbo and don't think twice! :thumbsup:

EXACTLY!!

i had never ridden before but in sept DH and i finally went on together. it was GREAT! we plan on doing it again in 4d 22h!

Mousemates
03-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd for sure give it a ride if I wanted to...but I'd plan on doing it early or way late...(i love ot ride after dark) ...but remember its a slow loader with long lines...and if your significant other isn't "as disney as you are" then a 50 minute wait on a hot day to ride what is essentially a county-fair carnival ride might not seem like a good use of time or energy.

brownie
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Only if you wait in a long line for it. I wouldn't wait in a long line to ride it. We've done it once, for our oldest son, and only did it then because of his love of elephants and the Dumbo movie at the time. He did try to get out of riding it when we got to the front of the line, but we didn't give him a choice at that point after waiting in the long line.

Young@Heart
03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm so glad you decided to ride! :dumbo:

I'm going to ride again this year, the first times since I was 13! DH usually rides w/ DD, and DS's ride together, so I sit out and videotape it. Well, not this year! I'm going to ride w/ DD and DH can videotape! :thumbsup:

mainemajor
03-14-2009, 05:55 PM
My advise is go for it, BUT if you don't want to wait i line for a long time in the sun go first thing in the morning or late in the evening. The wait will be much shorter. Have fun - you will be at Disney World :mickey:

Daddy Mouse
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I ride it everytime we go. How many chances does one get to ride a flying elephant?

dteed
03-15-2009, 10:03 PM

What a truely outstanding reply.