PDA

View Full Version : Need light appetizer ideas!

Tinkermom
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
We are having friends over for dinner on Friday and I will be serving homemade stuffed shells, sala, and garlic bread for dinner with a chocolate pie for dessert. I am looking for a light appetizer recipe to serve since dinner is on the richer side. I usually serve either cheese and crackers or a cheese dip or veggies and dip but am looking for something different. Any ideas??

ftwildernesskid
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe some bruschetta? I don't have a recipe myself, but I know it's not hard to make, and it's light and delicious!

Michigander
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
How about stuffed mushrooms. I use white mushrooms and I stuff them after taking the stem out with a mild pork sausage. You can make them ahead and put them in the oven for 30 -40 min. depending on how big the mushroom is and how much sausage you put in. Bake at 275 and serve warm. They are very good. Hope this helps you.

Tick-Tock
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Or marinated mushrooms.

Tinkermom
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
DH does not do mushrooms.:blush:

DisneyDog
02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I make a very easy crab dip. Take 2 cans of crab meat (drained) and mix it up with an 8 oz block of cream cheese and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Mix well then wrap in saran wrap in the shape of a ball. Refrigerate for a few hours. When you are ready to serve, put the ball in the center of a plate, pour cocktail sauce over it and serve with wheat thins.

MNNHFLTX
02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Does your husband do eggplant? I have made an appetizer before where I slice an eggplant up (vertically, so that the slices are round), brush with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil and then roast them for about 5-6 minutes on each side under the broiler on low. Make sure that the edges are a little crispy before taking them out of the oven. Then I put a slice of tomato and a slice of goat's cheese or mozzarella on top and return to broiler for a couple more minutes, until the cheese is toasted. It's a nice appetizer to serve with pasta. :)

Tinkermom
02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Does your husband do eggplant? I have made an appetizer before where I slice an eggplant up (vertically, so that the slices are round), brush with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil and then roast them for about 5-6 minutes on each side under the broiler on low. Make sure that the edges are a little crispy before taking them out of the oven. Then I put a slice of tomato and a slice of goat's cheese or mozzarella on top and return to broiler for a couple more minutes, until the cheese is toasted. It's a nice appetizer to serve with pasta. :)

I almost added this to my mushroom post but the husband of the couple coming over is allergic to eggplant. But your recipe sounds awesome! Wonder if you could use zucchini instead??

crazypoohbear
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
spinach and artichoke dip?
My MIL use to take a block of cream cheese and pour a jar of cocktail sauce with baby shrimp in it over the block of cheese and serve with crackers.

Aggie97
02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Maybe some bruschetta? I don't have a recipe myself, but I know it's not hard to make, and it's light and delicious!

I have a very easy tomato and basil bruschetta recipe that I'd be happy to share.

I also have a simple (and delicious!) recipe for an appetizer in which you bake pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, and cream cheese inside a crescent dough crust; you serve it warm with wheat thins.

If you are interested, I can post the recipes. :)

VWL Mom
02-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Some great ideas so far, very yum!

Since you are going Italian, why not the old standby - the antipasto? Some cheese (provolone or mozzarella), pepperoni (or turkey pepperoni), jar of olives, jar of red peppers, jar of artichoke hearts, and what ever else you may have in your cupboard that you like. Open, drain, arrange - simple. Serve with thinly sliced italian bread or crackers. I like to put some breadsticks in a tall glass and use them in the center.

Princess'Mom
02-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Some great ideas so far, very yum!

Since you are going Italian, why not the old standby - the antipasto? Some cheese (provolone or mozzarella), pepperoni (or turkey pepperoni), jar of olives, jar of red peppers, jar of artichoke hearts, and what ever else you may have in your cupboard that you like. Open, drain, arrange - simple. Serve with thinly sliced italian bread or crackers. I like to put some breadsticks in a tall glass and use them in the center.

With the OP and the above - I know what I'm fixing for dinner this weekend! Thanks for the post - now I'm hungry and it isn't 10am! :D

SBETigg
02-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm also a fan of the warm spinach and artichoke dip served with tortilla chips, so easy to make. But I love VWL Mom's antipasto idea with your meal. Good one! Bruschetta is a good suggestion as well.

buzznwoodysmom
02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
One appitizer that I always make when we have company over and everyone seems to love it is cream cheese with pepper jelly. You just place a package of cream cheese in a dish and pour the pepper jelly ( you can find this in your grocery store near the other jelly) over it and serve with wheat thins or any other favorite crackers. Easy and always a crowd pleaser.

pandkx3
02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
If you're thinking along the cheese and cracker line, I always serve cream cheese and pepper jelly. It's very simple and always a hit (even though the name isn't all that appealing). To change things up, I sometimes use Dr. Pete's Praline sauce instead of the pepper jelly. Just put the cheese on a pretty plate, pour the jelly or sauce over the cheese. Serve with wheat thins or crackers of choice.:thumbsup:

DisneyDog
02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
You could do fresh mozzarella and tomatoes, slice and drizzle with olive oil and some italian seasoning. Serve with sliced italian bread.

Disneyatic
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I also have a simple (and delicious!) recipe for an appetizer in which you bake pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, and cream cheese inside a crescent dough crust; you serve it warm with wheat thins.

If you are interested, I can post the recipes. :)

This sounds awesome....I would LOVE to have the recipe. Do you mind posting or PM'ing me?
I would appreciate it!

Aggie97
02-24-2009, 05:22 PM
This sounds awesome....I would LOVE to have the recipe. Do you mind posting or PM'ing me?
I would appreciate it!

I just sent you a PM with the recipes. :)

IamBelle
02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
You could do fresh mozzarella and tomatoes, slice and drizzle with olive oil and some italian seasoning. Serve with sliced italian bread.

This is sort of similar, but it is with avocados.
You put halved cherry tomatoes, broken up fresh mozzarella, and sliced avocado in a bowl. Put olive oil, basil, and garlic salt and stir gently. We serve it with tortilla chips and you probably could put it on bread. It is really delicious and easy to do.

Tinkermom
02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I just sent you a PM with the recipes. :)

That does sound awesome! Could you send me the recipies also? Thanks so much!

Aggie97
02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
That does sound awesome! Could you send me the recipies also? Thanks so much!

Just sent you a PM. :)

Hull-onian
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
A great easy appetizer for you. Take three cucumbers, Peel every other strip off. Cut cumcumber lenght wise. Scoop out all the seeds. Now it is hollow like a canoe. Take deviled chicken (like deviled Ham) and place in the hollowed out part. Then slice across like a watermelon into bite size pieces. It is delicious.:tasty:

Magic Smiles
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
So many of them sounded so GOOD! I have never had cream cheese with pepper jelly, but I have had Brie cheese warmed with pepper jelly and topped with roasted nuts.......Delicious!

I have been thinking about doing roasted garlic this coming weekend as an appetizer. Has anyone ever done that? Heard its good, but don't know of anyone who has actually tried it.

The mozzarella with tomato sounds yummy also. Might have to do that this weekend also.

Stitchahula
02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Since so many of us would like the recipe could you post it. To make it easier on yourself if not could you please pm me wtih it. Thank you my DS loves tomatoes and is very picky but I think he'll love it.

NotaGeek
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I have been thinking about doing roasted garlic this coming weekend as an appetizer. Has anyone ever done that? Heard its good, but don't know of anyone who has actually tried it.

Totally good, TOTALLY easy ... here's my easy recipe:

Ingredients:

2 heads garlic

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice off the top each head of garlic to expose some of the cloves inside. Place the heads on a piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in the foil. Roast until cloves are lightly browned and tender, about 30 minutes.
To serve just unwrap it and serve on a plate with a good toasted bread and a knife so your guests can spread the garlic on the bread. You want a plain bread ... anything with flavor will take away from the garlic.

Tick-Tock
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Totally good, TOTALLY easy ... here's my easy recipe:

To serve just unwrap it and serve on a plate with a good toasted bread and a knife so your guests can spread the garlic on the bread. You want a plain bread ... anything with flavor will take away from the garlic.

It's really good with feta, too.

We've found that microwaving the garlic for a minute beforehand cuts down on the oven time a bit (you want to make sure the garlic is very soft and spreadable).

Magic Smiles
02-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Well I did both the roasted garlic and the tomatoes with fresh mozzarella. Both were a tremendous success.
The roasted garlic I served with small cubes of feta cheese which had been soaked in oil with herbs along with freshly toasted baguette rounds.
The tomatoes with fresh mozzarella I drizzled with a spicy hot olive oil and served with freshly toasted baguette rounds also. I also provided cheese and garlic bread rounds.
Both were served with a variety of olives.
Everything was so yummy that when it was time for dinner no one was all that hungry.

Will definitely make both of these appetizers again.:mickey:

thrillme
03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
WOW...Lot's of chefs here.

I've always lined up some "ritz" crackers...pepperoni and some cheese squares.

If I have to get "fancy" Sam's and Costco have lots of "premade" stuff that's quite tasty.

Rollups are good too and they look quite pretty. Spread cream cheese on a tortilla and top with some ham, canadian bacon etc...You could even throw in some spinach or avacado for color. Roll them up and slice.