PDA

View Full Version : Taking a First-Timer

beksy
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
It has been many years since I've taken a first-timer to WDW but am going with my Dbf for his first trip in May. I have a list of my must-do's, things to look for, etc. but I was wondering what you would recommend making sure that he experiences? BTW, we are always playing jokes on each other so things that make him wet or something are appreciated, too! :thedolls:

WDWNut02
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Have him sit all the way to the left on the Backlot tour, last time I did I got soaked. :mickey:

Charlee
02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm in the same situation as you - I'm taking my cousin with me this trip and its her first time so am just trying to make it as stress free and enjoyable for her!
I love planning so am sorting our ADR's and she just nods in agreement - we're doing mostly buffets and characters because its fun!
As for must do - I'm sorta planning to do each park but not to run around - try and hit all the big attractions but not exhaust ourselves. We're lucky, we have 2 weeks so I'm not making too many concrete plans instead we'll go with the flow!
As for playing tricks - the Beverley would be one! As well as not really telling them what attraction is like - my cousin's a bit scared of "big" rides but am going to convince her that Everest is just the same as Big Thunder Mountain. I know she'll be fine on the ride but I'm not telling her everything!
I'm excited about taking a first timer - it will be fun to see the reaction to the size and scale of the World and how magical it really is! :cloud9:

joonyer
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Take him on Kali River Rapids, and tell him "don't worry you won't get wet"!

Then for fun be sure to ride EE and get a front row seat. Takes a little longer to wait for but it's worth it to do it at least once.

AXOAlum
02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
LOVE pranks! My father died in July after a long illness. In September, we went with our neighbors and their two DD's. As we were touring Epcot, I said "Oh, I must take you to one of our favorite places. Since my dad isn't here to lead us, I would like to lead us in our family toast." My mom was completely cracking up at this point, and opted to stay out with the baby while I continued my charade. I took them in and served them all a cup of Beverly. I raised my glass and said "To good friends and to good times, and to the family motto 'We ain't right, but we're a lot of fun' CHEERS" and then pretended to drink along with DH while the four of them choked on the Beverly. We were hysterical at the end. After that, they didn't trust me on anything to eat or drink. Ah... good times with the Beverly! This almost beat the time I served it to my sister who was very pregnant... almost :cloud9:

Definitely take the time to allow your friend to be immersed in the Disney magic. The subtle things that make Disney like no other place on earth. The signs in line, the smells of Main St, the smallest attention to detail throughout all the parks. Rides and attractions are great, but the small things really add up in making a magical trip. Good luck & have fun with your first-timer!

Oh - make sure to stop by and get them a first-time visitor button at guest services or your hotel!

alliekat
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I would definitely consider Hoop Dee Doo review at the Wilderness Lodge, was a lot of fun. I am sure that if you say something they will pay special attention to your party. There is a lot of audience participation and will definitely be a lot of laughs. I know that it is hard with a first timer. You want to have them experience everything, but don't want to run them into the ground. I think you have to have a framework of what you will be doing each day or you will be lost, but be flexible within the framework so that if something unexpected comes along you can go with it. Have Fun!!

AXOAlum
02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
I would definitely consider Hoop Dee Doo review at the Wilderness Lodge, was a lot of fun.

Great suggestion, alliekat! This is a great show and the audience interaction is so much fun! Just to clarify, Hoop Dee Doo is at Fort Wilderness (the campground) not Wilderness Lodge. The names are so similar, they are often confused. :mickey:

em-n-mia's-mommy
02-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Take him to 50's primetime cafe in dhs if he gets embarressed easily. My husband gets embarressed easily and in turn his face gets cherry red when he does. The first time i took him to 50's prime time I did not tell him what exactly the waitresses did like making you clean your plate. I even saw someone standing in the corner once for not cleaning their plate. So when I got dh there for the first time man was he embarressed. His face was cherry red the whole meal.

BTW I see you are in Morgantown. I am 30 minutes above Morgantown. Go Mountaineers!

beksy
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions! We have ADRs at 50's Prime Time (he likes that kind of food too so its a win-win). I'm working on convincing him to wear a button. I didn't know about the front seat of EE so that will be fun.

kemps@wdw
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I also recommend the Hoop-Dee-Doo. Great food, and a corny but very fun dinner show. If you're lookin for a good prank, talk to the Pioneer Hall Players when they 1st work the crowd, and tell them that he wants to be in the show as Davey Crocketts "angel". I still laugh myself to tears :rotfl::funny: thinkin about my DH in that role, and love showing the photos to everyone!!