PDA

View Full Version : Still obsessing over where to stay next time...

mom2morgan
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
We've gone twice. Stayed at POR both times. Liked it, but might want to try something different next time. I had myself half way talked into Carribean Beach. The theming looks nice (we're from Alberta, so love anything tropical) and I know the level of everything would be similar to the other moderate I'm familiar with. That is about where our budget usually is - a bit better than value but no where near Poly ;-) But here are my other thoughts - My daughter suggested we stay at a value to have more room (we'd get two rooms there). Makes sense, but what I LIKE about POR is the more "upscale" feel - quiet (minus the Cheerleaders, preferably!:crowd: , that gorgeous little walk along the river, the plantation landscaping..) So am I right to assume I would probably find the values too loud, too hectic, too bright? Option 3 is to splurge a little and sacrifice the extra space to do Animal Kingdom Lodge. (we spend so little time in the room that I don't see that as a really big deal, although 2 bathrooms to get ready in has a certain appeal...)We've only ever visited there, but LOVED the atmosphere. Bussing/transportation not a factor since we really don't care about the waits (being used to POR, lol). Other preferences - last time at POR we were a LONNNGG way from the main building, so a little less ambitious walking might be nice. And I actually do really like the food court at POR because it is big with lots of selection - I have no idea what the food court is like at AKL but I was surprised to notice that at the other deluxes I visited the food courts were very, very tiny. I might be nuts, but I liked the slightly livelier feeling of the food court at POR - I'm assuming the Carribean Beach food court is similar to that. I've got older kids, if that is a factor, and we do love to swim. SOOO....based on my above spilling of my guts to you, which do you think I might be happiest with? And please stick ONLY to the four options below - don't start telling me about all the advantages of the various other resorts, because narrowing it down to these four has already brought me to the brink of insanity. Throw any more in and I'll just hide under my Mickey Mouse couch throw rocking and twitching and never plan my trip at all....
Carribean Beach
2 rooms at a Value
Animal Kingdom Lodge
chuck the whole thing, live in fear and stay at POR because I know what it is like and don't want to risk disappointment elsewhere? ;-)

kwhitt3202
02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
I hear you. We are trying to decide where to stay in the world. The pop has a good food court. You can get ajoining rooms there and get preferrerd rooms which are close to the food court and buss stops. When we were there the noise was not bad during normal sleeping hours. The pools dont have slides (which doesnt bother us). We havent stayed at any of the other ones you have said. We are looking at the AKL because our son wants to stay "where the animals are and he can ride the mickey school bus". There are advantages of stay at a resort you know you like because its just that you know you like it.

TammiMcMan
02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
If you were willing to go alittle outside your comfort zone, then the AKL might be the best choice. In terms of quiet and relaxation, it will be closest to what you're used to and appreciate at POR.

The deluxes don't have a "food court", but they do have a counter, quick service restaurant. You can check out the menu for Mara here, http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/resorts/mara.asp . It offers basically the same items you'd find anywhere.

RedSoxFan
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
We stayed at CBR in October. It's a lovely resort. We stayed in a renovated Finding Nemo room in Aruba. Not an overly long walk to Port Royale and the pool. My kids (16 & 12) loved the pool and had a blast. We have stayed at POFQ and AKL. Both are nice too. However, we didn't care for the food court (Mara) at AKL. But we loved BOMA's.

Twinsowner
02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
CBR is great!! If yo are looking for tropical theming you will find the CBR just what you are looking for. As long as you are not in Martinique or the south buildings you wont be too far from the main building and food court. It also has a new pool and the beach will be nice!!!!

crazygoalie39
02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok based on my personal preference I would say no to CBR. We went and looked at it last time we were there and didn't like it at all. POP is a great resort. Very fun and we don't spend much time in the room so it was perfect for us. The only bad thing was it was kind of noisy some nights. Like you we were also looking to upgrade to a mod or deluxe and we found CSR and loved it. We visited POR on our last trip and thought it was beautiful and it sounds like you really like it there. So all in all my pick would have to be...POP. It has all the ammenities we need for the time we spend at the resort. Good luck! :mickey:

Pirate Granny
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
You know, we've stayed at all the Values and also at CB...we have never encountered noise...now, we do ask for rooms on the third or top floor...and not facing the pool...and we've still had preferred and non-preferred rooms. We prefer the Pop of all the values. Now CB...I love the hammocks...and I LOVE taking a walk all the way around the lake every morning after I've refilled my cup with tea...I really like that resort...now you may see that we've stayed at the FQ more and more...but you didn't want to add another hotel into the mix...so...it's your choice...I guess I didn't help...but AKL is on our list of to try one of these trips...
:pirate:

sndral
02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I'll vote CBR. It's tropical, which appeals to you. It has the biggest of the moderate rooms. The main pool area is great - plus each island has a large quiet pool, the grounds are beautiful, and the food court has a lot of choices.

LauraleeH
02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
I know you're going to hate me for this, but I'm going to suggest another idea. To me, it sounds like you would enjoy Saratoga Springs. Now, if you already know you'd hate it, just stop reading. BUT at SS you can get a 1-bedroom villa and it has plenty of space and it's cheaper than getting two rooms, it has a great pool, decent-sized food court, it's not very tropical but definitely a "relaxing" enviroment, has a lot of gorgeous spots and "upscale" feel that you'd enjoy, and in my opinion is one of the best resorts for families with older kids. You wouldn't get an extra bathroom with a 1-bedroom, but you do get a tub AND a shower and two sinks. And it's new and clean, and seems very quiet and private, no cheerleading groups! Ok, hope I didn't throw you for a loop with that one...but honestly, I think Saratoga has exactly what you're looking for.

Disneyfamilyof3
02-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Hi:mickey:

I've stayed at all of your choices, and I'd be happy to give some opinions:

1) Animal Kingdom Lodge: Gorgeous and the most unique hotel ever! If you love animals, peace and quiet , you'll love it here. This was one of the two WDW resorts that I actually didn't want to leave too quickly to go to the parks. If you choose AKL, make sure you ask for a room that is relatively close to the elevator. Another thing: this resort is far from everything but AK park. The pool is beautiful, but there is only one: no private pool.

2) Caribbean Beach: We stayed in Martinique , and at the time, Martinique and Trinidad North were the places most recommended because they flanked the main building. Keep in mind that CBR is huge! My husband complained about the walking, but I loved CBR; very tropical, great main pool, and a verygood private pool. Keep in mind that there are also buses that will take you to the main house .

3) POP Century: Best food court out of any place I stayed. I like the 60's section. You can:marg: actually see some illuminations from certain spots, and I found the bus system to be really good. All in all, very good bang for the buck.

So, based on your criteria: CBR, only if you get a room close to the main drag, or else the walking would get to you. POP has the best food court and best overall bang for the buck, and AKL is if you want to get away from it alland are not in a rush to get to the parks ( I found I wanted to spend time there and just watch the animals or hang by the pool).

If this helpsat all: for the buy 4 get 3, we do deluxe( they had this offer in 2003-2004) or moderates,... With the free dining, we do value.

yjgirl32
02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I loved CBR- I am a definate beach person. The hammocks were so nice- I woke up a little early just to lay in them and catch the sunrise. The pool was ok- but they have made changes so i'm sure it's better- wasn't horrible- slide wasn't that great according to my ds4. I am in the same boat you are- we decided to try a new resort-pofq. Hope we like it. Oh as for the walking- because the resort is so huge- my Disney Aunt who was 75 did fine. Good luck

PrettyMinnie
02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
I would say CBR. It's a lovely resort, with good theming and you won't have to walk TOO much. Plus, like you said, you were use to the walking and waiting. Staying at another moderate won't take you too far out of your comfort zone, since you are already accustomed to the advantages and disadvantages of the moderates. If you are looking for a bit more relaxing, I would stay away from value. Though I myself don't mind them, they are a bit hectic. If you do however, I suggest POP. I think someone already said adjoining rooms?? Which are nice and the theming is fun with a good food court and pool area. AKL would be amazing, it truly is a fantastic resort, but I can't see my family spending the extra money (we aren't the type of family to spend a lot of time at the resort). Finally, there are so many resort at WDW that you HAVE to try, so if you don't like your pick this time around, there ae many more to be explored! Good luck! :minnie:

Disneyfamilyof3
02-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I actually talked this over with dh just now: he'd choose POP over CBR. We both would choose AKL ultimately. Why? Because it is the resort out of the three choices we'd want to visit even if it weren't at WDW. It's that unique, cool, and relaxing!:cloud9:

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
:mickey: Hi Alberta - we are from Saskatchewan and I sure understand the need for the tropical feel - no tropical feel here in February. We have stayed at both the POR and CB a number of times, both are very nice resorts. However.....there is something very very nice about POR - it's that feel of the "old south". And that walk along the river on the way for morning coffee, or late night snack, is one of a kind. We do Boma at AK every trip and again AK has that tropical feel, nice. My DS and her family would not think of staying anywhere but POP - they love it, so there is a resort for everyone.
Wherever you decide to stay have a wonderful trip!

mom2morgan
02-23-2009, 11:22 PM
*waving back to you* yep, I'm all about the WARM. I was there around Christmas last time, and the fake snow on main street scared me! My kids wanted to go to the water park, but I didn't think I could face the theming of Blizzard Beach, LOL

:mickey: Hi Alberta - we are from Saskatchewan and I sure understand the need for the tropical feel - no tropical feel here in February. We have stayed at both the POR and CB a number of times, both are very nice resorts. However.....there is something very very nice about POR - it's that feel of the "old south". And that walk along the river on the way for morning coffee, or late night snack, is one of a kind. We do Boma at AK every trip and again AK has that tropical feel, nice. My DS and her family would not think of staying anywhere but POP - they love it, so there is a resort for everyone.
Wherever you decide to stay have a wonderful trip!

Mickey91
02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
We have stayed at POR and loved it. I agree that the theming is awesome and relaxing. That being said, if you get a lake view room at the POP, I'm not sure if it is considered standard or preferred, there is a nice walk along hourglass lake and is a bit quieter than the poolside. You will have to request upon check in but since the lake is further away from the main building (yet nothing compared to walking at POR) these rooms are usually not requested much. The food court is absolutely the best. Also, the deluxe don't really have food courts and if the selection at your resort is important, stick with the mods and values.

With the values as with any of the resorts, privacy has a lot to do with time of year. But, we have stayed all over the POP and haven't had any problem with noise.

Hope this helps!

greengeen
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey, I used to live in St. Albert. I like Florida better (lived here the last 30 years).

CBR is nice, but given a choice I would go with AKL anytime. It's just so beautiful and magical and unique, and worth every penny.

mom2morgan
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey, I used to live in St. Albert. I like Florida better (lived here the last 30 years).

CBR is nice, but given a choice I would go with AKL anytime. It's just so beautiful and magical and unique, and worth every penny.

Wow, we were practically neighbours! I grew up in Stony Plain, and my inlaws were in St. Albert (Villeneuve) for a while. I'd absolutely LOVE to move to Florida *sigh*

Tink#64
02-24-2009, 11:57 PM
The only one of the resorts that you are considering that I have stayed at is Pop, but I wanted to throw in a good word for it! We too have considered trying someplace new & we have feared even trying one of the mods for the same reasons, we're comfortable at Pop & fear disappointment elsewhere! It's easy to stick with what you know & like, rather than risk being disappointed on your vacation because you tried someplace new and just don't like it as much!

We've stayed at Pop 4 times, granted my DS's are a little younger, 11 & 13 now. We've stayed in 60's bldg #4, behind the Play-Do can 3 times, facing HourGlass Lake and it's very quiet & peaceful there! Very little foot traffic & no noise from the pool areas! This is preferred, although maybe just a little further walk than some of the other preferred rooms! Not a far walk though, we've always been on the second floor so we could use the elevator or the stairs, without having alot of foot traffic past our room, and we enjoy the view of the lake, watching the ducks & being able to see SSE from the end of the walkway & some of IllumiNations whenever we're there at that time of night! We enjoy the Hippy Dippy Pool, no slide, but the flowers spray water into the pool! We love the music that's played throughout the resort & the giant icons are really cool and we like walking around the lake & reading all the signs of various important dates & events from the 50's - 90's throughout the resort! We stayed in the 70's section last trip, bldg #10, & it was a shorter walk to the bus stops, being able to walk out to the parking lot & in front of Classic Hall, putting us right at the end where the bus stops are! This was not a preferred section, but still IMHO, about the same distance to Classic Hall with the food court, etc & maybe just a little further to the main pool. We don't spend alot of time at the resort, some down time at the pool each day & sleep at night & that's it for us, so for us it's pretty perfect! Good luck, I know it's a very hard decision to make! I hope you enjoy whatever you choose! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
If you're looking for a resort that is a destination within itself, you can't go wrong with Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is exotic and unique, no other way to describe it. There's something so magical about taking your cup of coffee in the morning and sitting out on the balcony or one of the viewing areas and watching the animals eat their breakfast! In fact, I'm trying to scheme and make time for a stay there this year myself (I hope!)

hlkeck
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
WE LOVE AKL. A lot. We've stayed twice and are staying again next January. My kids (4, 6) love the pool, the slide, the animals, the atmosphere, the CMs, and the food court area. We've stayed at a value and POFQ, as well, and this is beyond our favorite place to stay.

mom2morgan
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
WE LOVE AKL. A lot. We've stayed twice and are staying again next January. My kids (4, 6) love the pool, the slide, the animals, the atmosphere, the CMs, and the food court area. We've stayed at a value and POFQ, as well, and this is beyond our favorite place to stay.

Did you find the pool crowded at all? I have a bit of a concern since AKL only has one pool - we always like the "quiet" pools at the moderate adn find the "main" pools rather busy... I don't know how BIG the AKL pool is, so I may be wrong.

mom2morgan
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Would it be insane to split my vacation between 2 different resorts? My husband and younger daughter are very, very keen to try CBR (or CSR, but that's another story...I think they'd go for either) while my older DD and I are really anxious to do AKL. I was thinking perhaps we could do 4 days at CBR and then move "up" to 4 days at AKL? Aside from the having to pack and relocate, it might fulfill BOTH fantansies ;-) (heck, and save a bit of money for a few days) My thought was that we could make the first half of our trip a little more intense on the park hopping, and then focus more on hanging out and "relaxing" at AKL. Is this a reasonable, feasible idea or just silly?

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Did you find the pool crowded at all? I have a bit of a concern since AKL only has one pool - we always like the "quiet" pools at the moderate adn find the "main" pools rather busy... I don't know how BIG the AKL pool is, so I may be wrong.The pool at Animal Kingdom Lodge is huge, so while it gets busy at times, it was never as crowded as I've seen some of the main pools get at other resorts (the moderates, in particular). Some areas, like the zero-entry were a little more congested as people tended to gather there with their little ones.

Would it be insane to split my vacation between 2 different resorts? My husband and younger daughter are very, very keen to try CBR (or CSR, but that's another story...I think they'd go for either) while my older DD and I are really anxious to do AKL. I was thinking perhaps we could do 4 days at CBR and then move "up" to 4 days at AKL? Aside from the having to pack and relocate, it might fulfill BOTH fantansies ;-) (heck, and save a bit of money for a few days) My thought was that we could make the first half of our trip a little more intense on the park hopping, and then focus more on hanging out and "relaxing" at AKL. Is this a reasonable, feasible idea or just silly?
That's not a silly idea at all! I've never done it myself, but I know many people who've switched resorts mid-stay. Bell services will transfer your luggage for you, so all you have to do is check out, head out to parks for a few hours and then check back in at the new resort.

hlkeck
03-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry - I just now saw the question. No, it was never crowded when we were there - it was never even really busy. That includes during Xmas week - but it was a bit chilly. Course, we're from Ohio - so 60 degrees to my kids is swimmin' weather! :mickey:

The pool is so huge it's unbelievable. It looks like a small lake.

jonahbear2006
03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
personally i dont like AKL. I think their staff is standoffish and i dont like the theming. Their slide is one of the least appealing in the deluxes and i wouldnt want to put my money into the one view this hotel offers; savannah. I think CBR looks great. If you have kids they have neat slides even for the little tiny guys. They have a cool playground for the kids, too. I think I would go with that. We need a slide. However, our fav. is the beach club and we really really love that place!

irish1967
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM

This is what I was going to suggest. And also, with some "thoughtful" packing, it wouldn't be a huge deal to move from resort to resort. Just pack the first 4 days worth of clothes in one set of bags and the second 4 days worth of clothes in the second set of bags. Then, when it is time to move, pack up the dirty clothes in the first set of bags and unpack the clean clothes at the new resort. Some things would overlap (toiletries and swimsuits and stuff) but overall, it is pretty easy to do.

TammiMcMan
03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
The only time splitting the vacation is tricky, is when your on a package. Disney treats each reservation you make as separate entity, so you'd have to be on 2 different packages, or room only or some combination of the 2.

stitchaholic
03-07-2009, 07:15 AM
i would choose CSR over CBR just for the big beds,the pool is awesome also!