PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars weekend strategies or advice needed

KCMom
02-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi. We are heading to the World in early June, and I think we will be there in time to attend a Star Wars weekend for the first time. My 7 year old DS is a Star Wars junkie and would love to go. I know nothing about this event, so I welcome any and all tips and info. Anyone want to recommend a good strategy for navigating this event? Are all attractions crazy crowded during these weekends or just the star wars stuff? I am anticipating high crowds, and I'll bet we'll need to be there when it opens. Other than that, I have no idea. Is there info available at the resorts regarding schedule times? What are the must-dos of this event? I need info. Please help me formulate my plan. Thanks!

joanna71985
02-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi. We are heading to the World in early June, and I think we will be there in time to attend a Star Wars weekend for the first time. My 7 year old DS is a Star Wars junkie and would love to go. I know nothing about this event, so I welcome any and all tips and info. Anyone want to recommend a good strategy for navigating this event? Are all attractions crazy crowded during these weekends or just the star wars stuff? I am anticipating high crowds, and I'll bet we'll need to be there when it opens. Other than that, I have no idea. Is there info available at the resorts regarding schedule times? What are the must-dos of this event? I need info. Please help me formulate my plan. Thanks!

SWW are so much fun! There is a lot of Star Wars stuff going on. Some of the stuff is:
*Celebrities from the movies (you have to get a FP in order to meet them)
*Star Wars characters (like Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Chewie, ect).
*The Jedi Acadamy show
*A special Star Wars parade (around 11am)
*Special merchandise (you have to get there early for it though)
*The Hoopla, a special show at the end of the day. It is awsome!

Scott C
02-21-2009, 01:58 PM
arrive early if you want autographs -- 6am is not out of the question to get in line for a fastpass. My boys were older -- but I would stand in line for one celeb and they would stand in another. Rides are not too bad except for around Star Tours.

Good Luck
Scott C

CaptSmee
02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
All good advice so far...we've been three times. My best recomendations are to get there early if you are interested in autographs, us Star Wars fans get there early and there are not a lot of fp's issued for the sessions and you will need one in order to get an auto.

If it's special merchandise you are after, either get there early OR even better wait until later in the day. The SW activities wrap up around 6 or 7 but the park is usually open later and the merchandise store is open later with bare minimal crowds in the evening (jedi's must get worn out throughout the day or something!).

It will be quite crowded for sure, but most attractions will not be affected. You still will be able to ride some rides, enjoy the SW action, get some auto's, buy some special merch, and catch the parade. It's a fun filled action packed day at DHS when you visit during SW weekends!

I'm all stoked now and am thinking of going next year for another visit during SW weekends! :cool:

KylesMom
02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Is there info available at the resorts regarding schedule times? What are the must-dos of this event? I need info.

Usually the resorts will have a vague brochure for Star Wars Weekends; i.e., what guests will be there for what weekend, the time of the Star Wars Motorcade, etcetera. It is good to have, but doesn't give you all the information you need.

As you know, they bring in the actual stars from the films - usually there's a host for the event (constant) and two guests each weekend (different). As mentioned above, the FP ines for the celebrity autograph sessions start very early in the morning. Getting there an hour before park opening usually will not result in getting a FP for a celebrity. However, it will get you closer to the action that takes place near the opening gates. :mickey:

I'll be honest with you - we've never felt the need to meet the actual "stars", but are more interested in pictures with the character lookalikes (i.e., Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Emperor Palpatine, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Zam Wessell, Tusken Raiders, Gamorrean Guards, Members of the 501st, Shaak-Ti, Aurra Sing, Plo-Koon, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Mace Windu, Luke, Leia & Han, Anakin, Padme', Jedi Mickey, etcetera). The pictures we've gotten with DS (and our entire family) over the years truly are priceless. If you're interested in finding specific characters, find and ask someone with a Star Wars Weekends shirt. Keep asking until you find someone with a schedule on what time the characters will be where, as this schedule is not published. If you're not going on opening weekend, you can pop onto the Star Wars website and check out the pictures of the characters who are in costume and ask DS which ones he'd really like to meet. Then you can make a plan of who you're hunting for.

I strongly suggest making a lunch or early dinner ADR, as the restaurants are crowded & by lunch time you'll probably feel the need to sit down and regroup. The park does get crazy and it can be a challenge to get a bite to eat!

I know that many have said that the rest of the park does not get crowded, but it's been our experience that if you're looking for FPs for RnRC, ToT or Star Tours, the standby lines are long and FPs seem to roll over quickly. As far as TSM, I can only imagine that the FPs will go by twice as fast during SWW as they usually do!

One word of warning - if you end up in the special SWW merchandise shop, plan ahead on how much $$$ you plan on spending. We have a tendency to go overboard with the pins, shirts, posters, etcetera and it adds up QUICKLY!

Above all, have fun. In our estimation, some of our best times at Disney World have been spent during Star Wars Weekends over the years! :mickey: