PDA

View Full Version : Vinylmation?

Wells
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
It seems that Disney has decided that with the success of pin trading that a new collectable is in order. These are 3" and 9" vinyl toy sort-of Mickeys that have been decorated by various artists, similar to the 75 anniversary Mickeys.
These are being sold only at the parks and NY WOD store (so far). They are being issued in limited editions so these may turn out to be real collectables. Any one here have any of these yet?

big blue and hairy
02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
And.....they look ridiculous....

:sulley:

Melanie
02-20-2009, 05:36 PM
So there are pins and figurines? And can anyone explain the blind packaging?

MickeyMousse
02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
And.....they look ridiculous....

:sulley:

:ditto:
A poor marketing idea IMHO.

Oh, and the blank packaging is for the blind purchase you are making...you don't know what design you're getting until you open it. At $9.95 a clip, you're taking a real chance on getting a design you won't like!

Melanie
02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh, and the blank packaging is for the blind purchase you are making...you don't know what design you're getting until you open it. At $9.95 a clip, you're taking a real chance on getting a design you won't like!

I didn't think it could be that straight forward since that seems like a really stupid marketing move, but I guess I was wrong. I would maybe buy the Sorcerer one, and maybe a few others, but not with blind chance.

brownie
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Didn't they make figurines of the 75th Birthday Mickey's, too?

senderella
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I admit...I am a sucker! I have two of the vinylmations. We were there three weeks ago when the rollout took place at DD. I had not heard anything about vinylmation, but we ventured over to see what the fuss was about. It was hard to resist purchasing a windowless black box. We all three purchased one and they were all different. The CMs were so excited, they wanted you to open the boxes at the register. Apparently Kermit and Figment are hard to come by. There is also a special "unknown" figure that is rare.
They are pretty cool and you really need to see them in person to appreciate them. However, not sure what I am going to do with them.
Between the three of us, we have two Yetis, a teacup, future world, the monorail, and the poisonious apple.

And yes, there are pins that match each figure. If you want to spend the big bucks, you can buy a 12'' for $40. You actually see which one you are getting.
One cool idea I did see, there is a solid white 12"' Mickey shape that someone had characters autograph instead of the standard book. That would be fun!

tinkerbelle75
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I have to admit I LOVE the vinylmation series. I have 4 so far and plan to get as many as possible. Since I love modern art, they really appeal to me. Would I drop 500 bucks for the taller ones? Nope. But $10 for the smaller ones is only a couple of lattes. I want to get several of the solid white ones and paint my own designs on them. I don't think they will increase in value, but I think they're unique.

BMan62
03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Has anyone got any promotional pics of these?

tinkerbelle75
03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Has anyone got any promotional pics of these?
Check the disney site and Ebay for photos. I actually learned about them through the Disney Insider email.