PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth Questions

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Hello All,

I have a slightly strange question, and know that Intercot is the place to get answers!

In all of our trips to WDW, we have never been on Spaceship Earth, in large part due to the fact that DD is terrified of going on it.

We've googled the ride, and watched the videos, but she's still worried about two things:

1. she's worried about "being up high". do you have any sense that you are high, or can you see "down"?

2. how fast do you travel down/backwards at the end of the ride?

Thanks, we would really like to go on it this trip...we can't believe we've missed such a classic for so long.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I am afraid of heights and have no problem going on this one....it does not go fast at all...It is not scary at all....:)

Mickey91
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
The entire ride is at a crawl. JIYI is faster than SSE. Also, the cars are set up so that there really isn't a break between any of them. It is one continuous circle of ride vehicles. I am terrified of heights. I will not go on ToT, I hate traditional roller coasters etc. I have never realized I am going up. It is one continuous "scene" that you are riding by and it goes slow enough for you to take in almost every detail. The only sensation, or hint, that you are descending is that your ride vehicle turns backward and it feels similar to going down the staircase at the HM but not as bad. My mother, who is terriied of Dumbo, likes it. Hope this helps some. Any other questions feel free to PM me!:mickey:

IamBelle
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
you don't have the feeling of being up high, i didn't even realize it until we climbed down the hill, slowly. The last time we were on the ride, it stopped while we were going down, so we were slanted until it started again. But, with the darkness, we took a short nap until it started! lol
even though it goes slow, we still love it. my mom is the same way and to get her mind off going down the hill, we just talked the whole time until it started moving again!

dtootsie42
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I was really apprehensive the first time I rode this because heights bother me and I was also kind of freaked out about going backwards. I find that I either get involved watching everything or I'm busy talking with family that going backwards does not bother me. Of course the ride speeds a long at a crawl which is just fine with me. :mickey:

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

bob6572
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Once inside you have no idea how high or steep anything is. Never thought of it as intimidating.

Polynesian Dweller
02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Actually, you can look over the side of your ride vehicle and then get disappointed by the fact that you are actually never more than a couple of feet above the surface. Although you go up inside the building its just up a platform and your actual height from the floor remains the same all the way through.

As some one else pointed out, the ride is one continuous circle of connected vehicles so you are always going the same speed.

cfoshe
02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
All stated is true the only time you noticed the height is the decent down but know they have computer interaction on the way down which takes your mind off going down

BMan62
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
The only part that might be a little disconcerting would be going backwards downslope with the Earth above you. It's not bad, though, and she can look at the 'infinity' lights on the right side of the vehicle if it bugs you at all.

Other than that, if she can handle the short backward section of Haunted Mansion, SSE should be no problem - I don't think the slope on SSE is as steep.

CaptSmee
02-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Believe me...there is nothing to worry about at all with this attraction. It's one of the tamest in all of WDW. You never feel the sense of height at any point during your time travel. You will no when you see earth at the peak that you are descending and your vehicle rotates for your return to earth but you glide down backwards and there is an interactive movie that you participate in at this point that will keep you occupied.

That said, enjoy your trip about Spaceship Earth!:cool:

goofy78
02-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Definitely a must do! Previous posts have described this very mild and tame attraction and it is in my opinion that y'all go experience SE. One of my absolute all time favorites!

AmandaChan
02-20-2009, 02:33 AM
It's the easiest, slow moving ride. Never feel like you're up too high or anything. It's an easy ride!

disneychick62
02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
YEA, this ride from the outside makes you feel that you are goin to the top of the sphere, but its just an illusion....pretty good one at that....i beleive its just one continuios circle of cars...:blush:

MickeyMousse
02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
It goes as fast as a turtle.....and there's no area to look down into to see how high you are (my DS11 had that problem when he was younger).

You can share all of this info with DD, but ultimately it's up to her to get on the ride. We saw to many screaming, crying kids last trip being pulled onto rides. Maybe you can google the ride and play it for her so she can see for herself??

Good luck!:mickey:

crazygoalie39
02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
You can not tell that you're going high at all. It seems like you're on ground level the whole time. There's no place to look down and see how high you are. And the descent at the end goes about 0.01 miles per hour. You should definitely ride it. It's our favorite ride in all of WDW! :mickey:

Brownie54
02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
YEA, this ride from the outside makes you feel that you are goin to the top of the sphere, but its just an illusion....pretty good one at that....i beleive its just one continuios circle of cars...:blush:

I'm pretty sure the ride does go to the top. However, it is a gradual incline and the surface below you is only a step down. If you look hard enough before the desent, one can see part of the track going down. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to encourage your dd to go on it. Lots of thing around to see and take her mind off thinking about "how high am I up?". This will be a good step in getting her to try "scarier" rides in the future.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I'm really looking forward to finally being able to try this ride, without leaving DD on a bench outside :thumbsup: