PDA

View Full Version : finger scanners

cfoshe
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I know that all the parks have the single finger scanner machines installed now. When we where there in Dec, we did not have to scan our fingers in all the parks. Are they all not working or is it only required in certain park gates or certain times?

Guess I am just real bored tonight.
:blush::blush:

Disneyfamilyof3
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Ugh I hate those things:ack:

We opt to show photo id rather than scan our fingers. I'm a germophobe to begin with, and I've stood behind plenty of people who had their finger up their nose before having their finger scanned.:sick: For what it's worth, we've never gotten sick at WDW since everyone in my family uses the photo Id rather than finger scanning. That, and frequent handwashing.

JPL
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
The scanners have several different modes of sensitivity they can be set at. I have heard CMs refer to the lowest mode as Chimp mode. At other times when the parks are busy or there are large crowds attempting to enter they can be shut off entirely. They were also experimenting with removing them in 2008.

KevMcNJ
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
what is the purpose of them?

TinkerbellT421
02-18-2009, 11:28 PM

My guess is to make sure you dont enter the park with someone, then leave and come back and bring someone else back in with the second ticket. I accidently used my middle finder (after using my index finger the first day) and it would not let me into the park. Until I figured out I used my index finger the first day.

javamama
02-19-2009, 12:42 AM
They're a pain especially w/little kids, my ds plays with the thing half the time wiggling his finger--goofball. Plus I'm always in a hurry to get going in the parks too excited to do that, the diaper bag check is enough somedays to put me over the edge:blush: (I agree though it needs to be done 100%)

ThanxForNoticin
02-19-2009, 05:59 AM

The main purpose is to eliminate the sharing of Disney passes - specifically people who were selling partial passes outside of Disney control. Apparently that was a pretty big problem a few years back - big enough that Disney invested a lot of money into their current system. Now when you first use a pass, your finger 'mark' is scanned and is a permanent part of your ticket for the life of that ticket - it means only you can use it.

I understand why they do it, but it really is a pain most of the time. Between having to mark everyone's tickets (so you know which ticket specificially belongs to whom in the family) and then the guests who hold up the entry lines to the parks because they don't understand how to use it - I wish Disney didn't feel they were necessary.

IamBelle
02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't mind the finger scanners, they are better than the two finger ones!! I think they have to be done, although the photo i.d. isn't a bad alternative.

JPL
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
For those who think the scanners hold up the line imagine the people digging for the Photo ID for 20 minutes :eek:

The scanners came about because people were reselling their unused days. Ebay played a huge part in this along with the not so reputable vendors in the area.

MickeyMousse
02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
A few times we encountered the finger scans not working properly and the CM's just letting us through.....one CM mentioned it could have been because of the cold temps we were experiencing that week. :freeze:

disneyworld55925592
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh man can thoes things hold up a line. We always seem to choose the slowest one! Photo ID could quicken or slow things down even more its a 50-50 chance. If they put a big sign saying HAVE PHOTO ID READY. Then it could move things along. If they just tell you when you get up there people would have to dig through their huge backpacks.

Disney Doll
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm not a fan of the scanners. If they were really necessary you would think they would be more consistent. Sometimes we are asked to scan and sometimes not. Also, I have seen lots of people who were having trouble with the scanner just being let through. I also think they misread a lot which is probably why CMs just let so many people in.

DisneyCrazed580
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I like the photo ID option - never knew I could do that. What about kids that don't have a photo ID?

Tinkerbellaella
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
So if I do not want to use the scanner, is it a huge pain for myself and everyone behind me in line? There is just something wrong with giving anyone your finger print. The germ part doesn't bother me. If you think about all the railings, seat belts, etc... you touch.

chrisb26
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I like the photo ID option - never knew I could do that. What about kids that don't have a photo ID?

You can do the Photo ID option just make sure that you have your ticket signed if you're not using your room key with your name on it. If the ticket isn't signed then its difficult to prove that its your ticket even if you show your ID. Also children under 10 are not supposed to have to get there fingers scanned.

ThanxForNoticin
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
So if I do not want to use the scanner, is it a huge pain for myself and everyone behind me in line? There is just something wrong with giving anyone your finger print. The germ part doesn't bother me. If you think about all the railings, seat belts, etc... you touch.

There has been a lot of discussion on this before, and the scanner does not actually take your finger print. It's must simpler and much less invasive than that. It apparently scans just 2 or 3 points on your finger and puts the information on the mag strip on your ticket. They don't take or keep peoples' fingerprints with these scanners.

Nascfan
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM

It is not a fingerprint.

I wonder how much the lines would be held up with everyone digging for a photo i.d. And believe me, people would NOT have their i.d. ready, when it seems like half of them can't even have their park pass ready. I'll take the scanners over the photo i.d. idea.

Disneyfamilyof3
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Hello Everybody!:mickey:

We put our photo Id ,along with our room key/ticket in a closeable plastic pouch attached to our lanyards. My 12 year old son uses his library card as photo id , and we always have both items out and ready by the time we get to the turnstile. The only occasional hold up is when a curious cast member asks us why we are choosing not to use the scanner.

In fact, we have occasionally brought another kid along with us, and we have them us the photo I'd / lanyard system.

Disneyfamilyof3
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh, one more thing:

Just because any one person or business claims not to be fingerprinting me, doesn't neccesarily mean I believe them. Even if they are only scanning 2-3 points, it strikes me as , somehow, unconstitutional (I.e., illegal search).

NotaGeek
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh, one more thing:

Just because any one person or business claims not to be fingerprinting me, doesn't neccesarily mean I believe them. Even if they are only scanning 2-3 points, it strikes me as , somehow, unconstitutional (I.e., illegal search).
Unconstitutional? I suppose if visiting Disney was a right maybe. You do have the option not to use your fingerprint, or not go to the park if you choose their need to use ID to protect their interests are too personal. I just think it's not that serious.

Polynesian Dweller
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh, one more thing:

Stop and think a bit before going there. Don't you think the Disney lawyers (they have a few afterall) would have been sure of the legality before it was installed? Of course they would and the lawyers would not allow Disney to take or keep your fingerprint on file for privacy reasons so you know they don't.

Besides, a fingerprint isn't that easy to analyze (at least not in three seconds) but finger geometry based on a few points is. That's what the two finger one's were and my understanding is that's what the one finger scanner is also.

Disneyfamilyof3
02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi there, "Not A Geek"

Well, "Different Strokes" as they say! The purpose of the finger scanners, according to the CM's I've asked, was to determine if the person entering the park was the rightful owner of the park ticket. Showing my photo ID along with my resort card is reasonable. It accomplishes exactly what WDW wants.

Obviously, some people agree with you that it's no big deal, but I've talked to quite a few who feel it's " invasive". We should just agree to disagree.Like you said, we have the choice to scan, show id, or not go at all.

Disneyfamilyof3
02-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Polynesian Dweller;

Let's just say I am glad we have a choice so that we can all choose the option we are comfortable with. If you want to scan your finger, great. I don't, neither does my husband or many people that I've talked to ; especially once they know that they can show photo ID. To each their own.

To anyone reading this who is interested in photo ID for kids: my son's library card has a photo ID and one of my nephew's uses his rec center ID.

cindchan
02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Photo ID could quicken or slow things down even more its a 50-50 chance. If they put a big sign saying HAVE PHOTO ID READY. Then it could move things along. If they just tell you when you get up there people would have to dig through their huge backpacks.

Having worked at a store in a line with "CASH ONLY", you'd still get people who wanted to charge their purchase.

And where I work now, our phone message says to have your patient ID number available. You'd be surprised how many people don't have it and then have to look for it.

Why? Because people don't pay attention. You could hit people over the head with a sign that says "have photo ID available" and they'd still say "I didn't know we were suppose to show that" when they got to the front. And even if most did, all it'd take is one person to hold up a few dozen people.

Sorry, been in customer service too long, and dealing with too many people who don't pay attention. ^_^

KevMcNJ
02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh, one more thing:

THe Constitution states what the Federal Govt can and cannot do. Not Private businesses.

If you dont want WDW to illegally search you, (ie scan your finger) you are free to go elsewhere.

House Rules. Their house, their rules

Disneyfamilyof3
02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi KevMcNJ;

I absolutely agree with you. And I'll keep going as long as there are choices as to what ID is deemed sufficient. I read a very interesting article about the Disney finger scanners on ACLU website;...but this is Intercot and we are all here to have fun talking about WDW. Anyone who is truly interested in the subject need only google " finger scanners at Disneyworld" to see that many people question the invasiveness as well as they question other aspects of the practice.

CaptSmee
02-20-2009, 01:14 AM
OK, I'm surprised that a WDW CM hasn't interjected with facts yet on the finger scanners. I was under the impression that they measure bio-metrics, NOT fingerprinting. Body heat, pulse rate. I do know that our last trip in Jan that the only time we had to put our finger in the scanner was when we entered Epcot through the World Showcase entrance. Everyother time we fed our ticket in and it immediately turned green (with an AP).

Now...talk about a horrendous finger scanner, the same week in Jan we went to WDW we also went to Universal Studios. We got there slightly after opening and stood in a line that seemed to be not moving at all. By the time we finally go to the gate we realized why, every finger was being scanned the scanner was being wiped and it seemed like every person that put their finger on the darn thing had to do it over at least 3 times! It was RIDICULOUS getting into the park!

GoBlueLacheta
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
A simple retina scan would take care of everything :mickey:

I personally find it a bit of a pain but that is mostly due to my excitement for getting in. Even with the little bit of information that Disney obtains from the bio-metric scan, the information is tied to the ticket not people. If you are on the Disney property and have tickets with your name on them, then Disney all ready has more potential harmful private information about you than a three-point scan of your index finger.

gatrbait
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
My son and I are passholders and have been for years...b/c he is handicapped I have them note that in his passholder records just in case...he doesn't do the finger scan. On time they asked me to do it for him and I declined stating that if someone else took him and he used his pass that he would have issues getting in b/c it was my finger that was scanned....ok long story short he doesn't ever scan his finger and we are always let in...no id required. (I do scan mine right after him though).
:blush:

irish1967
02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Given the amount of information Disney has on my, what is a few finger points?

They know where I stay, they know what parks I visit, they know what rides I get FPs for and probably know which rides I actually use FPs for... they know what I eat, they know what I buy (ok, maybe if I use cash, they don't! errr unless I pay for cash but had an ADR, then they do!) Let's face it, Disney is a master at collecting information.

Imagine my surprise when I got an e-mail from Disney after my Dad made some arrangements. Of course, the names of my husband and I were given but they were able to connect our e-mail to my Dad's reservation (and we live in a different city and have a different last name then my Dad)

Honestly, I think that the finger scanning reduces the possibility of secondary sales of park tickets and as such reduces our cost. I don't have a problem with it.

But I am glad that Disney does provide the photo id option for those who are not comfortable with the process.

Oh, and I do think that park management has the ability to turn off the process if it isn't allowing for crowds to flow smoothly.

LauraleeH
02-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't have a problem with the finger scan, I don't have anything to hide and I'm not paranoid. I don't even have a problem with the lines, lines are a given when it comes to Disney. Every time I go, the machines are broken. I've used my thumb and first two fingers, every time a different finger lets me through. The only thing I have a problem with is when I've waited in line just like everyone else, and I get up there and it won't scan any of my fingers, and the people behind me yell at me like I'm purposely holding up the line and using up my precious time in the park at the front gate. The CM's just stand there and stare at me like I've stolen someone's ticket. That's the only thing I dislike about those machines...they're not reliable.

Disneyfamilyof3
02-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Actually, part of the reason why I won't scan my finger is because I have nothing to hide: I was a straight A student who earned 2 College Degrees, became an award winning teacher, and never even got pulled over for a traffic ticket much less get arrested for anything. Why on earth would I submit to be treated like a criminal?

If you read up on any Biometic company that sells the finger scanner, they say right in their advertisements thatthey are fingerprint scanners. WDW claimsthey are not collecting our fingerprints: the ACLU Florida President says WDW is most definitely collecting our fingerprints; regardless of what they tell us.

Keep in mind one thing : it is against our civil liberties for our government to demand this info from us: it is unreasonable search and seizure. However, a private corporation can request it,... And then our government can ( and has!) harvest this information from the private corporation.

It has nothing to do with being paranoid or being guilty of something: it has to do with protecting our civil liberties: companies that require unreasonable searches merely condition us to give up our rights. Not just that, but a good computer hacker can probably decipherany encoding and commit identity theft. Did you know that WDW keeps your finger scan info in their computer system for 30 days? Why is that required? Why won't WDW postnotices about what they are using our fingerprints for? Have us sign a release? Why do they offer us a choice of finger scanning or photo I'd? Because they know at least 5% of the population WILL ask them those uncomfortable questions like "why?" One poster here believes that the team of WDW lawyers are hired to protect US. What does common sense tell you about whom they will protect?

LauraleeH
02-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Actually, part of the reason why I won't scan my finger is because I have nothing to hide: I was a straight A student who earned 2 College Degrees, became an award winning teacher, and never even got pulled over for a traffic ticket much less get arrested for anything. Why on earth would I submit to be treated like a criminal?

If you read up on any Biometic company that sells the finger scanner, they say right in their advertisements thatthey are fingerprint scanners. WDW claimsthey are not collecting our fingerprints: the ACLU Florida President says WDW is most definitely collecting our fingerprints; regardless of what they tell us.

Keep in mind one thing : it is against our civil liberties for our government to demand this info from us: it is unreasonable search and seizure. However, a private corporation can request it,... And then our government can ( and has!) harvest this information from the private corporation.

It has nothing to do with being paranoid or being guilty of something: it has to do with protecting our civil liberties: companies that require unreasonable searches merely condition us to give up our rights. Not just that, but a good computer hacker can probably decipherany encoding and commit identity theft. Did you know that WDW keeps your finger scan info in their computer system for 30 days? Why is that required? Why won't WDW postnotices about what they are using our fingerprints for? Have us sign a release? Why do they offer us a choice of finger scanning or photo I'd? Because they know at least 5% of the population WILL ask them those uncomfortable questions like "why?" One poster here believes that the team of WDW lawyers are hired to protect US. What does common sense tell you about whom they will protect?
Just to clarify, I wasn't necessarily directing my post to you or implying that anyone who doesn't want to submit to the scan is just afraid or hiding something. If anyone doesn't want to scan their finger for whatever reason, that's their business and should be their right to choose. I was just saying that none of the finger issues bother me, what bothers me is when people yell at me. Hope you didn't think I was accusing you of anything :)

Disneyfamilyof3
02-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi There:mickey:

No , I didn't get the feeling that you were singling me out or saying anything negative. Alternately, I hope I didn't say anything offensive. Email postings can't show things like body language , emotion, or humor.

Like I've said before, to each their own. We all have to answer to what we think is right for ourselves and our families. Actually, this may even prove to be a moot point : there have been articles stating that WDW will attempt to get rid of the finger scanners. :marg::beer:

beksy
02-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't mind the finger scanners. I've never really given them that much thought. I do miss those cute invisible stamps they used to have for leaving and re-entering the park on the same day. I always had to ride Peter Pan as soon as I got back to look at my stamp!

Disneyfamilyof3
02-21-2009, 01:16 PM
When did they have the stamps? Must have been before I started going there.I wonder why they stopped using them.

I can't wait until our next trip. We missed PPF last fall

CaptSmee
02-21-2009, 10:39 PM
The stamps were looooong time ago...I don't know for sure when they stopped using them, but I remember them!

Tinkerbellaella
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Disneyland uses a yellow ink that is seen with a black light. I have never been asked to see my hand stamp upon re-entry. The ink is hard to wash off. After being there for several days you can still read all the stamps when you ride a ride with black lights :blush: and I scrub!

Imagineer1981
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh man can thoes things hold up a line. We always seem to choose the slowest one! Photo ID could quicken or slow things down even more its a 50-50 chance. If they put a big sign saying HAVE PHOTO ID READY. Then it could move things along. If they just tell you when you get up there people would have to dig through their huge backpacks.

HAVE PHOTO ID READY... I don't think that would work. Many people can't even handle the "move all the way to the end of the row" or "no flash photography". I think the finger scanner is fine, and much better then the 2 finger scanner which actually read your bone structure and not finger print

Tbelle1976
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
We just got back from WDW and yes, I feel that sometimes the finger scanners were a pain but I didn't really mind. We went in and out of the parks for about 3 days before it even asked us to scan our finger. Once we did it never read the finger print right after that and we always had to show our ID. I also questioned why my 2 kids never had to do it and they told me that it does not apply to children's park hoppers.

DizneyRox
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I believe that stamps were discontinued because they are in effective and costly. THe CMs needed to man the exit turnstyles, along with the ink and then still have to argue with people who "forgot" etc. Not very efficient.

The biometric scanners are mostly effetctive in treating all the ills of the old SYSTEM with the added benefit of preventing unused ticket sales which also increase their profits.

I doubt the 30 rule on keeping information is true. As an AP holder, I can visit beyond the 30 day limit as well as the non expiration ticket option could require them to hold that information for tens of years.

Giggy
02-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I doubt the 30 rule on keeping information is true. As an AP holder, I can visit beyond the 30 day limit as well as the non expiration ticket option could require them to hold that information for tens of years.

Perhaps the rule is 30 days after expiration?

Finger scanners aren't something that bother me. If they wanted people's finger prints for some ulterior motive they could always just go around the parks and scan anything people have touched. Seems harmless enough to me.

smsp
08-09-2011, 10:14 AM
So, for those of use who choose to ID route, does Disney require one to take their ID out of it's carrier or can one just show their ID in it's carrier?

I'm thinking of using a neck landyard that would allow me to place my ID in it. The pouch for the ID has 'window', you know, like in a typical wallet. I'm thinking I could just keep my ID and Key to the World in this pouch (aka neck wallet).

Thoughts?

SMSP

iceicebritney
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
For those who think the scanners hold up the line imagine the people digging for the Photo ID for 20 minutes :eek:

Excellent point:thumbsup: Photo ID would never work and it would make the lines much longer than they already are.

Patricia
08-09-2011, 11:55 AM
So, for those of use who choose to ID route, does Disney require one to take their ID out of it's carrier or can one just show their ID in it's carrier?

I'm thinking of using a neck landyard that would allow me to place my ID in it. The pouch for the ID has 'window', you know, like in a typical wallet. I'm thinking I could just keep my ID and Key to the World in this pouch (aka neck wallet).

Thoughts?

SMSP

I think this would work. As long as they can see it.

brownie
08-09-2011, 03:48 PM
There is just something wrong with giving anyone your finger print.

I believe it's measuring distance between joints on your finger. It would be a nightmare if they were using fingerprints; they'd be constantly cleaning the scanners.

08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Short answer: It does not record your fingerprint it takes the shape of your finger and converts that shape to a number which is stored on your ticket.

The information does not go into any Disney computer, it goes on your ticket. You can't convince some people of that, but I guess they know more about it than those of us that work turnstiles.

For photo ID, your must have your name imprinted on your ticket or photo ID is of no use. It actually slows down the time thru turnstiles as we have to handle both the ticket, the ID and then do a manual push on the keypad in order for the turnstile arm to turn.

The quick way for it to read is to LAY your finger on the keypad, don't press down or use the fingertip, push it all of the way up into the metal socket. For ladies with long fingernails, place the nail extension onto the metal part and the finger up to the metal socket. Don't have it rolled on the edge and don't walk all the way up to the turnstile arms and then try to bend backwards to put your finger in the socket.

There are several levels of turnstile ticket security that turn on and off randomly, which is why you may have to do a biometric scan or not. Turnstile cast have no control over that.

It's always funny that when we are on the highest security level. we have to beg people to place their finger on the socket and when we are on the lowest level, we have to beg them NOT to. Just watch the green light and when it starts to flash, walk thru the turnstile.

Just a few turnstile tips.

AllDisney
08-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Sometimes the line to enter, using the scanners, can be long because of issues, but for the most part they work really well.

As far as germs go we use a sanitizing hand product after entering the park and after riding all the attractions.

Daisy'sMom
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Isn't it terrible that there was even a reason to implement the scanners in the first place? Dishonesty doesn't belong in the "happiest place on earth":mickey:

cfoshe
08-09-2011, 07:15 PM
its amazing, I started this post 2-1/2 years ago and its still going strong. Love intercot

seanyred
08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I find it ironic that people are worried about what Disney is doing with our fingerprints (which its not a complete fingerprint) But have no problem giving them all of our credit card information. If I was one to worry I'd worry more about their data base being hacked and someone stealing the credit card information. But I'm sure Disney doesn't want that to happen and have a solid security system in place.

ginny57
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I guess we all have our worries.....finger prints - credit cards - germs - airport scanners/searches. I am a lousy sleeper and if I spent time thinking about this stuff, I wouldn't sleep at all...and may just lock myself in a closet and never come out!

Naive? I am in many ways. I am a bit too trusting....may be why I'm twice divorced!! ;)

To each his own....

MickeysBestPal
08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Short answer: It does not record your fingerprint it takes the shape of your finger and converts that shape to a number

1- which is stored on your ticket.

2- The information does not go into any Disney computer, it goes on your ticket.

3- You can't convince some people of that, but I guess they know more about it than those of us that work turnstiles.
------------

1- Nope.
2- Nope.
3- It will be very hard to convince me of that.
If that were true, it would require that the turnstile be able to record on your ticket's mag-stripe (without destroying the info that's already on the stripe.)
No reason to try to do that.

The finger-scan's "number" (representation of key points on a small section of your finger's image) is stored in the Automated Ticketing System (ATS) computer along with the number that represents your ticket info.
That info will include the original date and assets on the ticket when purchased, time and date that the ticket has been used, and the list of assets remaining (number of "days left") on the ticket. This file is also updated if a ticket is upgraded.

MickeysBestPal
08-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I tried to see if this was addressed earlier, but if not.

A "child's" ticket (3yr-10 yr) does not use the finger-scanner.

Many times kids will put their finger on the scanner (just like Mom and Dad,) but the scanner does not activate when a child's ticket is put through the reader.

Those kids also do not need any ID.

The scan is also not used for "YES" program tickets, and, many times, not for "school-group" tickets, like visiting bands who perform at the parks (who often get group tickets.)

jonahbear2006
08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow, I never even considered what that finger scanner did but bringing that up kind of upsets me because Disney's information system already kind of upsets me. I have nothing to hide and I find it somewhat Offensive how much they know about my family. At first, having mail arrive with our trip dates and names on it was cute but the more we thought about it the more it started to upset me and my husband how they keep track of everything you do there and how often you go and what not. I even had a Disney cast member call us once, when we hadnt been there for several months and ask us when we would be returning and if we had a bad experience on the last trip that was keeping us away. It is great that they are following up and have great customer service but really how far should this go? At check in at Fort Wilderness I have always felt like they are very rude to have us check in while we are still in our vehicle. I feel as if I am being pulled over and strip searched by a police man, but then again on the other hand, I am very glad they do this to other people. I think that they just want the parks to remain safe and I feel like if they stopped having finger scanners and stopped being so diligent with check ins that we might be vacationing in a dangerous place. So, I will just go along with what Disney wants even though it kind of makes me question the whys to the things they do. They obviously know what they are doing and its working.

MNNHFLTX
08-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Even if Disney does somehow use information gleaned through the use of finger-scanners, companies tracking people electronically is nothing new. Right now your search engine could be gathering information about the sites you visit, your cell phone noting where you travel, your debit or credit cards what stores you visit, your toll road transponder sticker what highways you drive. Most of the time (if not all, IMO) it's for marketing and data-gathering purposes. But it's out there. Even those new Freestyle Coke machines they're phasing in at the resorts will be gathering information on what sodas (or combination of sodas) everyone is drinking and sending that information right back to the Coca Cola company.

Arielfan98
08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Ugh I hate those things:ack:

We opt to show photo id rather than scan our fingers. I'm a germophobe to begin with, and I've stood behind plenty of people who had their finger up their nose before having their finger scanned.:sick: For what it's worth, we've never gotten sick at WDW since everyone in my family uses the photo Id rather than finger scanning. That, and frequent handwashing.

I agree, my family is filled with germophobes so we just bring hand sanitizer with us everywhere we go

LVT
08-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I agree with the" not fingerprints". WDW says so and I have to be print scanned for work. The
real thing is nothing like WDW.

seanyred
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Even if Disney does somehow use information gleaned through the use of finger-scanners, companies tracking people electronically is nothing new. Right now your search engine could be gathering information about the sites you visit, your cell phone noting where you travel, your debit or credit cards what stores you visit, your toll road transponder sticker what highways you drive. Most of the time (if not all, IMO) it's for marketing and data-gathering purposes. But it's out there. Even those new Freestyle Coke machines they're phasing in at the resorts will be gathering information on what sodas (or combination of sodas) everyone is drinking and sending that information right back to the Coca Cola company.

Are the Freestyle Coke Machines coming to WDW resorts? Those machines are awesome.

Oh and you forgot to mention how Grocery Stores track you. Ever wonder why the coupons that the checkouts generate is always for stuff you buy or may be interested in? Lets face it in this day and age we are all being tracked. Unless you use actual cash for everything I don't know if there is a way to not be tracked.

Butters
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Here is my question... Let's say worst case scenario Disney is saving and storing full finger prints for the millions of people that pass through their gates this year...

What would it really matter? What would they do with a fingerprint? I doubt they will be going around planting prints at crime scenes, or trying to break into companies that use fingerprinting to gain access... And even if there becomes a day you can pay with your fingerprint, that's no different than handing them your credit card to store.

I think people get way to caught up in stuff like this lately, probably from watching too much Bourne Identity :mickey:

bunnykoko
08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
A few trips ago, I had an interesting experience with a less than happy CM. The scanner did not want to approve my entry into the park. After a couple of attempts, the CM took my card and bent it in numerous directions. She then grabbed my hand and shoved my finger in the scanner. Still didn't work. She repeated the process with the same result. At that point, she turned to my husband standing behind me and grabbed his ticket, stating that I obviously had the wrong ticket, despite the fact that it was a season pass with my name on it. She shoved it in the slot, shoved my finger in the scanner, and it worked. She then handed my husband's ticket back to him, and he proceeded to use it to enter the park. A grumpy CM and a ticket process that didn't make a bit of sense. One of those experiences that stick in my memory.

Victor Kelly
08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
It is a concern of many that if the prints are being stored, then they are vulnerable to a hacker attack. HAckers as everyone knows are extremely smart and savvy, hence they can do a lot with only a tiny bit of information.

There are also other legitimate concerns for those that use similar systems on their personal computers as well as for work.

I am not worried as I have to be fingerprinted yearly for work as well as for other things. But I still prefer people to have as little information about me as possible, especially a private corporation.

Honestly the idea of keying a ticket to a fingerprint to keep third party sales out of the picture is kinda dense as Disney already has the money for the days on the ticket. And if the ticket dealers were selling bad tickets it is up to the county, city, state, etc to prosecute for fraud. But sadly Florida answers more to the House of the Mouse.

Butters
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I understand the concern about hackers, but once again I'm more worried about my name, address, and credit card number which we all know Disney stores and which is more valuable to a hacker than a fingerprint would be...

Not to be argumentative but just think there is plenty of more legit things to worry about.

Butters
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Also Disney did get the money for their tickets but their pricing is placed to keep one person in the park as many days as possible... So selling unused days which would then be drastically reduced for the new purchaser would blow up their price model... Hence less profits for them would mean higher prices for all...

lardbucket
08-12-2011, 03:09 PM
:mickey:
Hum...we have not found the scanners to be that big of a deal...yes, every now and then the line gets slowed when someone does not understand how they work or are newbies, or the machine does not read correctly...but If there were not so many dishonest people out there breaking the policies Disney would not have to resort to such things...So Blame the stupid people who refuse to follow the rules...Not Disney!!!

texas211
08-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I hate the biometric devices. Plus for certain populations they tend to work not as well (I do software for these things). Unnecessary for this application, why not show ID's.

Or make them with photos when you arrive. Can be done easily and quickly.

Victor Kelly
08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Have you ever known a big corporation or government agency do what makes sense?

Still, the days are paid for no matter who has the pass. They do not lose money because the people that sold them already paid to enter the park. The people that buy the used tickets will use their days (hence no real loss). And the second buyers also might purchase more days. Let us also not forget. That is the ticket is unused then Disney does profit. If not then there is lost merchandising, lost food and beverage sales.

We can all agree to disagree on the monetary ramifications of used ticket sales.

PopPhan
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
It is a concern of many that if the prints are being stored, then they are vulnerable to a hacker attack. HAckers as everyone knows are extremely smart and savvy, hence they can do a lot with only a tiny bit of information.

There are also other legitimate concerns for those that use similar systems on their personal computers as well as for work.

I am not worried as I have to be fingerprinted yearly for work as well as for other things. But I still prefer people to have as little information about me as possible, especially a private corporation.

Honestly the idea of keying a ticket to a fingerprint to keep third party sales out of the picture is kinda dense as Disney already has the money for the days on the ticket. And if the ticket dealers were selling bad tickets it is up to the county, city, state, etc to prosecute for fraud. But sadly Florida answers more to the House of the Mouse.

There are NO fingerPRINTS being scanned and logged. The biometric scanners look at things like the structure of the fingertip and bone and code those to a numeric value that is stored in the ticketing computer. That is why the finger should be held steady in the scanner - to get a good 'reading' on the size, shape and density of the finger being used.

Ian
08-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Or make them with photos when you arrive. Can be done easily and quickly.I think the reason they didn't do photo ID's (which I agree are far easier) is because they felt like it would slow the line down if a CM had to manually check the picture of every guest coming into the park.

Not only that, but from a very practical standpoint, has anyone besides me noticed that the number of CM's manning the turnstiles has dramatically decreased in recent years? It's not unusual to see one CM tasked to monitor 4 or 5 turnstiles by themselves. If every turnstile needed someone to monitor it to check ID's that would seriously increase their need for staffing.

texas211
08-18-2011, 12:37 AM
I think the reason they didn't do photo ID's (which I agree are far easier) is because they felt like it would slow the line down if a CM had to manually check the picture of every guest coming into the park.

Not only that, but from a very practical standpoint, has anyone besides me noticed that the number of CM's manning the turnstiles has dramatically decreased in recent years? It's not unusual to see one CM tasked to monitor 4 or 5 turnstiles by themselves. If every turnstile needed someone to monitor it to check ID's that would seriously increase their need for staffing.

They should take staff off the search line. Not like that is very effective. I saw plenty of staff this summer. Maybe different offpeak?

Ian
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
They should take staff off the search line. Not like that is very effective. I saw plenty of staff this summer. Maybe different off peak?Yeah, definitely different staffing levels comparing peak vs. off-peak.

Can't really move folks between security and turnstile, though. They're different skill sets and different departments, although I do agree with your assessment of the efficacy of the bag search.

A Big Kid
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
One day we were at Epcot and the scanner wouldnt work for my wife's finger. She started singing, "Some day my Prints will come..." and VIOLA! It worked!

Buttercup
08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
One day we were at Epcot and the scanner wouldnt work for my wife's finger. She started singing, "Some day my Prints will come..." and VIOLA! It worked!
:thumbsup::D

Seriously though, a little bit of misinformation and people get all riled up thinking the US Constitution is being violated and they're suddenly being treated like criminals... they never seem to stop and look at the facts. No fingerprints are being scanned. Can you imagine? The scanners have about 5 million different fingers smeared on them in a row - what kind-of an accurate fingerprint scan would that be?

And even before you get to the gate, don't you give WDW your email address? Your credit card number? Phone number? Mailing address? The ages of those travelling with you? Responding to how many times you've been to WDW and when? Face it, every company you interact with nowadays is collecting data on you whether you know it or not - and that would be far more valuable for hackers than a wee little finger measurement. Heck, take a look at certain Intercot public profiles and most people have listed where they are from, their birthdate, their personal website URL's, family members' names, etc. And don't forget that you're probably on some old security videos in WDW's computer system (or any shopping malls, stores, outdoor streets) as well. So most folks are obviously comfortable with allowing that much information to be captured and stored.

You do, however still have a choice. Nobody is forcing you to submit. You can choose to pay cash for everything to avoid paper trails. You can choose not to visit theme parks, or any commercial business (like grocery stores, gas stations, pizza delivery places) because your digital identity is recorded at those places as well. You can avoid the internet because let's face it your computer is recording a trail of every site you surf, every search you do on google... everything. And all of it is out there to be hacked. But if that doesn't concern you, then a wee finger measurement shouldn't either.

Now, the gross factor of 5 million people's boogery fingers touching it before you, yeah, I get that. :sick: It is gross. :jaw:

08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
It's not unusual to see one CM tasked to monitor 4 or 5 turnstiles by themselves.

No CM gets "assigned" by CDS at MK to monitor 2 pair (4) turnstiles, only one pair (2). Turnstiles are only open based on the amount of CM's available.

On occasion, if the CM next to you needs to go for a water or quick bathroom break during a slow period, it is not uncommon to watch that CM's pair during that period. Normally, most CM's that go on those quickie breaks will turn off the entry during that time.

Just my $.02 based on working MK turnstiles for the last 3 years.

ThanxForNoticin
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM

I will definitely have to remember to try this the next time we're having trouble getting into the parks!!! Love it!

texas211
08-18-2011, 11:57 PM
:thumbsup::D

Now, the gross factor of 5 million people's boogery fingers touching it before you, yeah, I get that. :sick: It is gross. :jaw:

I could have gone a long time before ever considering that concept.

Must pack more hand sanitizer. :mickey:

Butters
08-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree the germs are pretty gross, but remember every finger that touches those scanners is touching the railings in the lines, or the grab bars on the rides.... so scanners or no scanners the germs are going to get you :ack:

texas211
08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I agree the germs are pretty gross, but remember every finger that touches those scanners is touching the railings in the lines, or the grab bars on the rides.... so scanners or no scanners the germs are going to get you :ack:

Yeah, i wear gloves.

A Big Kid
08-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, i wear gloves.

Germs are your friends. They more we disenfect the world around us, the sicker we get.

seanyred
08-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Germs are your friends. They more we disenfect the world around us, the sicker we get.

I agree the overuse of hand sanitizers is actualy causing germs to mutate into stronger forms. As a society we have become too paranoid about germs.

texas211
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Germs are one thing. Booger is another.

Suzi Q
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
The one finger scanner seems to be a lot faster than the old 2-finger ones, or at least it seems to be.

Buttercup
08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah those 2-finger ones they used to have, if you didn't squeeze your fingers around the bar exactly right, it didn't seem to work properly. I never had any luck with those old ones! :shrug: