PDA

View Full Version : Buying wine and taking onto a plane, or shipping?

AmandaChan
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
This may be a really dumb question but I have never tried to do it before and I was just curious. I was wanting to buy some wine from Italy (one bottle) and I was wondering if airlines let you take the bottle on the plane (perhaps in checked luggage) OR if Disney can ship it to your address??? Again I have never investigated this matter and I didn't know if there were any special rules that apply or what not.

Thanks

tinktude
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
When I bought wine at disney, I had to pack it in my checked baggage, as they will NOT let you bring it on the plane. I just wrapped it in a plastic bag and then wrapped it in some clothes and it made it home just fine.

Zippy 1
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
If you are traveling within the US you can just pack it in your checked luggage. Just make sure it is very protected. We tried to take it on the plane and had all sorts of problems. If you are traveling outside the US you must package it separately and label it liquor with your name and address and check it with the rest of your luggage. Italian wine is some of the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iluvpooh
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
At Target they sell an Eddie Bauer padded wine bottle carrier it will hold 2 bottles. It is around $15. I have packed them and just laid the carrier in the middle of the clothes in my suitcase(checked bags) and have not had a broken bottle yet.

TheRustyScupper
02-19-2009, 11:28 AM
1) You cannot take bottles over 3-ounces on airplane.
2) You have lots of options
. . . pack in checked luggage
. . . ship via UPS/FEDEX/etc
. . . drink it all in the airport terminal
. . . drink it all in the airport parking lot
. . . drink it all in the resort room
. . . drink it all in the resort parking lot

Tinkerfreak
02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
We always wanted to bring a bottle home from Italy also but didn't because we worried it would break in our luggage.
I couldnt believe it the other day when I found that same wine in my grocery store:woohoo::joy::clappy::yay:.

AmandaChan
02-21-2009, 01:03 PM
At Target they sell an Eddie Bauer padded wine bottle carrier it will hold 2 bottles. It is around $15. I have packed them and just laid the carrier in the middle of the clothes in my suitcase(checked bags) and have not had a broken bottle yet.

Thanks! I'll actually look into that. I never thought about an actual wine carrier.

Thanks to everyone else for the information.

AmandaChan
02-21-2009, 01:05 PM
1) You cannot take bottles over 3-ounces on airplane.
2) You have lots of options
. . . pack in checked luggage
. . . ship via UPS/FEDEX/etc
. . . drink it all in the airport terminal
. . . drink it all in the airport parking lot
. . . drink it all in the resort room
. . . drink it all in the resort parking lot

D'oh, forgot about the 3 oz rule. Wasn't sure they would let me check it in baggage or not. And ARE you allowed to ship it??? Because I may just want to do that... drinking it in the terminal airport would be bad considering my belligerence after 2 glasses alone, also my easily being motion sick. I guess I WILL have a fridge this time, perhaps I can get some grigio and stick it in the fridge but I was wanting it as a souvenir. And drinking it in the parking lot would seem a bit weird considering I won't have my own vehicle.