PDA

View Full Version : Finally Convinced DH to Join DVC! Now I need some help, please!

TINKERBELL_82
02-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, the title says it all. We plan to buy in August of this year, but I'm having a very tough time deciding what to do about our home resort. I guess my first question is how do I find out which resorts have availability?

Secondly, I noticed that the maintenence fees were signifigantly lower at some resorts vs. others (BLT V. BWV, for instance). My friends who are DVC members suggested BLT if it was avaialable as a home resort, simply because we will have advanced ressie time if we choose to stay there in addition to lower maintenence fees and a longer ownership. How hard is it to make reservations at the other DVC resorts within the smaller window should we not want to stay at BLT? Does anyone see a downside to BLT that I didn't catch?

That's it for the moment- I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer me! :mickey:

MarkC
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with others that you need to buy where you're going to be staying most of the time. It can be difficult to reserve non-home resorts, especially at peak times. Then it's almost impossible for places like BCV or BWV. I would definitely check out the Timeshare Store if you are not going to buy BLT. You have a lot more choice of points, places, contract, pricing, etc. With the current economy and incentives I would buy as soon as possible. Good luck. Mark

DizneyRox
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
You can pick up contracts resale for a song right now. So, I would check there first...

And the mantra, buy where you want to stay is true. If you want to stay at the contemporary, then you should buy there. If you want to stay at AKL, buy there. The only one you don't need to worry about is SSR, you'll be able to get in there no problems.

Currently I think AKLV and BLT have the longest life on their contracts.

You have a lot of decisions to make. Make sure you plan out how many points you really need. If you are planning on a studio during non peak times, I would buy enough for a 1 bedroom during those times, or up the points to the next higher season. This will give you some flexibility, but there are a number of ways to figure out how many points you really need. But please, don't assume you're be able to get EXACTLY what you want when you want it 100% of the time.

Do your homework...

TINKERBELL_82
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you all so much!

If I buy resale will I have exactly the same rights and priveldges as someone who buys directly through Disney? Are there any pros/cons with buying resale (other than price)?

I heard that if you buy with Disney your closing costs are very minimal- is this the same with buying resale?

Thanks in advance-

Tina

DizneyRox
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
To Disney, you have the same perks (pros and cons) if you buy from Disney or resale. There may be some advantages on the financing going one way or the other, but that's for you to investigate. I will tell you, interest on the contract (if you finance) is tax deductible if you go through Disney. It's possible if you go resale as well, but the type of financing will determine that.

It really depends on the deal that Disney is offering. We didn't pay closing costs on our last contract, but we also paid going rate on the points. You may actually still get a better deal overall if you go resale at the discounted rates WITH some closing costs.

You really gotta run the numbers... In the end, you are still a member and there's no difference in what you can do with those points, where you can use them, etc.

TINKERBELL_82
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks again so much. I did take a look at some resale prices right now- wow. $79 per point v. $110 is a huge savings- thousands of dollars for 250 points!

Now, just need to find a great resaler! :mickey:

DVC Mike
02-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks again so much. I did take a look at some resale prices right now- wow. $79 per point v. $110 is a huge savings- thousands of dollars for 250 points!

Now, just need to find a great resaler! :mickey:

Don't forget that the incentives that Disney offers can narrow that price difference, that $79 won't buy you BLT, that most resales aren't good for 50 years, and most importantly -- make sure you buy a resort you'll be happy staying at.

If you are cognizant of that and would still be happy, then go resale!

wjrhw
02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
If I had to do all over again, I think I would buy 60 points at BCV, 60 points at AKV and 60 points a BLT. That way I can enjoy each one and stay somewhere different every vacation.

TINKERBELL_82
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
If I had to do all over again, I think I would buy 60 points at BCV, 60 points at AKV and 60 points a BLT. That way I can enjoy each one and stay somewhere different every vacation.

I was actually looking at doing something like this. Maybe 80 at AKL and 80 somewhere else.

Does anyone have any experience financing thier membership outside of Disney? I've been checking out resales and am really leaning on that route, but the rates seem kinda high (11.9%). I could put in on a credit card with lower interest! If anyone has a great company they can reccomend I'd appreciate it!

DizneyRox
02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
If you are going resale with two contracts, just a word of warning. You will have TWO contracts, possibly two different use years as well. It can really complicate booking a vacation. You can't simply "combine" the points and use them that way. You might need to transfer them from one contract to another, or some combination of banking, borrowing, etc. If I'm not mistaken, you can only transfer points to or from ONCE per year.

Not that it can't be done, but be aware that a contract is a contract in the resale world. Now, if you bought 80 resale and added 80 to that (from Disney) that would work differently. You WOULD only have one contract, one use year, and a much easier time using those points for any single vacation (IMHO).

They recently changed the minimum add-on recently, I'm not sure what that is. You may not be able to add just 80 anymore, but I'm not sure. someone else will chime in with the new minimum add-on.