PDA

View Full Version : Really great Presidents Day yesterday

DisneyDog
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
My DS6 and I had a really nice day yesterday. We live within 10 minutes of Valley Forge National Park and they had a celebration for George Washington's birthday. It was so much fun! They had George and Martha impersonators (reenactors?) that took photos with the kids (who could put on period costumes as well), birthday cake, and the kids got to be trained as Revolutionary War soldiers and be evaulated by General Washington. There must have been several hundred kids there. And it was all free :)

Anyone else do something special to commemorate the day yesterday?

SBETigg
02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a really fun day! How cool that they do that, and free! I stayed home with my kids. They're on winter vacation, a week off from school, but we didn't do anything special.

RedSoxFan
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
That does sound like fun. My kids are on school break as well and DD12 has soccer camp in the morning and basketball camp in the afternoon this week. DS16 is on the varsity basketball team and is helping with the basketball camp.

DisneyDog
02-17-2009, 01:53 PM
My son was off on Friday and today as well. But he has care at the YMCA on school closed dates. There are only 2 dates a year that the YMCA is closed, Presidents Day being one of them. So I took the day off of work and we had a special day together. Normally he would have more fun at the YMCA than with me, LOL, but yesterday was the exception.

brownie
02-17-2009, 05:33 PM
That's cool. I remember visiting Valley Forge while growing up (my Dad grew up outside of Philadelphia). I remember having to plan the defense of Valley Forge, and the plan my brothers and I came up with was nothing like what George Washington did. Good thing we weren't in charge of the Continental Army!

beksy
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Sounds like fun! I got to go to school! :party: