PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on different places to watch Wishes

luvDaMouse
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
My family loves to watch Wishes :fworks:(our favorite) right in the middle of Main St. We usually watch Spectro sitting on the curb then migrate to the middle of the street for Wishes. Well I am booking a reservation at the Cali Grill in May. I believe that even if we eat early we can go back later and watch the fireworks from the observation deck. Has anyone watched Wishes from there? and what did you think of them? :mickey:

Septbride2002
02-16-2009, 08:39 PM
A lot of people rave about the fireworks from the observation deck but we thought it was just okay. The perspective is very different if you are used to watching it from Main Street (which is our favorite place as well). Plus this idea of coming back to the observation deck has become so popular that it is crowded and you can't see.

JMHO, YMMV.

~Amanda

Wishmaker
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I have only seen wishes from a few spots, all were good, but I don't think I have found any to brag about.
1. We always stood over between Casey's Corner and Crystal Palace, pretty good but not great.
2. We have stood over by the rose Garden off to the side heading towards Tomorrow land.
3. The best of all wasn't even in the park. On our first trip to Disney, we ate at O'hauna's, we had a window seat to boot. They dim the lights and play the wishes music. That was the most memorable moment of our vacation. It was awesome.

I am not a crowed fighter, I am usually one that gets booted out of the way by mean rude people and we end up leaving and riding the rides. :( But I have seen it once or twice good enough. It is awesome no matter where you are.

wdwfansince75
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Inside the park, my favorite spot used to be the Tomorrowland Terrace....but it seems that the view has been obstructed more than it used to be....the smoking area across from Plaza Resturant, when available, has a great view of Wishes. The other place I like to view the fireworks in the park is in front of Pecos Bill...

But I really love to see it from the Lagoon....either on one of the boats, or from the Poly or GF boat dock....

Mrs Bus Driver
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I agree with wdwfansince75 the lagoon at the Poly is very nice. Last trip DD and I had dinner at Ohana's and then walked along the beach found some lounge chairs watched the electric water parade(?) and the fireworks. It was beautiful and relaxing, then we caught the boat to MK for EMH. That evening remains one of my favorite memories from that trip. :mickey:

Mousemates
02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
We have watched it from several different vantage points...including behind the castle and down towards the teacups which gives you a unique view "in between" the fireworks...but our favorite spots are:

1. The middle of mainstreet near the entrance.
2. The sidewalks outside of the crystal palace.
3. The beach at the poly.
4. The boat dock at the GF
5. From the pilots car of the monorail...it takes some luck and timing...but we got it right once and it was really cool.

For special firework shows (where they shoot off from multiple areas) we like the beach at the poly because you can see more of the horizon.

Tinkermom
02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
We go to Calif Grill almost every trip and love to watch Wishes from the viewing deck. We used to fret when we could not get a dinner seating at the right time to watch Wishes from our seats but now that they let you come back it is awesome! We also get tired of fighting the park crowds sometimes so this is a great option. It is not at all crowded like it is in the park and there is NO PROBLEM seeing Wishes even if you are not right at the railing. If being right at the railing is important to you then just head up to Calif Grill about 15-20 minutes before Wishes to grab your spot. People really don't make their way out to the deck until about 5 minutes before the show. Magic Kingdom is so lovely from up there with all of the lights. Calif Gril pipes in the music from Wishes both inside the restaurant and outside on the viewing deck. This is always a highlight for us!:cloud9:

We have also gone to the beach at the Poly to watch Wishes. This is another lovely spot, very peaceful and romantic. You can hear the music if you stand closer to the pool area but out on the beach you cannot hear the music. I love the way the fireworks reflect in the lagoon though!:thumbsup:

iluvdumbo
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
a couple of years ago, we watched them in liberty square, seeing them over tom sawyer island. but, for the last few years, we've liked seeing them near space mountain-ish area. my mom and i have also seen them waiting in line autopia (i think thats the DL name but thats what we call it). they are really nice there as well.

joonyer
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I love Fireworks and Wishes is the best fireworks show I have ever seen (the 1976 Bi-Centennial fireworks over New York Harbor may have been close but I only got to watch it on TV).

That being said, I love to be as close to the fireworks as possible so that they fill my entire field of view. Therefore my favorite spot is oin the middle of Main St., just a little up (toward the castle) from Casey's (got to have a Casey's dog while waiting for the show to start; it's a family WDW tradition).

Yes, it is always crowded there, but it is worth it to me. On the other hand, seeing wishes from Cali Grill or 'Ohana is a great experience too.

And although the view is not as good and you only get to see part of the show, one of our family's most memorable and magical experiences in all of WDW was seeing Wishes exploding overhead while riding Splash Mountain. We try to re-live that experience that at least once on every trip.

BMan62
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
....the smoking area across from Plaza Resturant, when available, has a great view of Wishes.

That is our favorite as well, but there is that ONE TREE that blocks part of the castle!! :mad: This is a great spot to see Tink coming down from the castle spire, though!! :thumbsup: