PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe

TheVBs
02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
We booked a lunch here because I'd read that it was fun for families and that they get the kids involved in different things. I was able to print out a menu from the Disney site and the offerings look good! Just wanted to ask those that have been there... How is the food? And, what kinds of things do they do to entertain the kids/familly? Thanks! :mickey:

d_m_n_n
02-16-2009, 07:55 PM
We went to lunch at WCC a few years ago and had a great time. My youngest (2 at the time) was throwing a tantrum and the waiter threw straws at him. He stopped immediately (we still call straws "sissy sticks")! He also made me and DS6 a hat from a napkin and was generally pretty funny. However, we saw another family that had a different server and I didn't see much interaction at their table. If you are looking for a lot of action, I suggest going for breakfast or dinner. When we would be in the lobby at those times, the place was ROCKIN'. Lunch, while we were there, was generally pretty quiet.

KatMark
02-16-2009, 09:22 PM
We did dinner in September. Service was terrible, the food was overrated (had the skillet and the only thing I could eat was the potatos; dh was the only one who tried the chicken/ribs and he ended up sick the rest of the night). We were there over two hours. We may try breakfast, but we won't be going back for lunch or dinner.

Briansmom
02-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Just wanted to ask those that have been there... How is the food?

I just have one word to tell you about the food.... SKILLET ! It is yummy for your tummy! :tasty:

We went at dinner and we had a great server....it was never a dull moment! It was so good that I have it planned for the trip in May and DH wants to go there TWICE! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies! :D Hmmmm, maybe I'll try for a dinner instead of a lunch. It will be our first day in the parks, heading over from MK.

svarhall07
02-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I had dinner here last May, and it was TERRIBLE! My girlfriend and I (both 20 years old) had made reservations months earlier and had built up a lot of excitement. The dining room is split, MAKE SURE YOU GET A SEAT IN THE FRONT DINING AREA! We were put in the very back, and we never got to see or experience any of the antics. Our service was terrible, and my food was disgusting. I ordered the skillet, and didn't really eat anything. I will never go back, and I would recommend changing your reservation.

Artist Point is amazing, and very different from WCC. I know its signature (more expensive), but its worth it.

junedis
02-16-2009, 11:21 PM
WCC was one of my kids favorite restaurants. We had a blast and did enjoy the food. We were there on fathers day and our anniversary. When my husband asked for a refill they brought him a 2 liter mason jar of coke! They also brought a champagne toast for us. Nice touch! When we said we were too full for dessert, our waiter insisted on having us pick desserts to go. That evening I can say they also had the straws, ketchup bottles and giant forks moving as well as pony races for the kids and one unsuspecting adult . It was a great time. Enjoy!:mickey:

IamBelle
02-17-2009, 06:56 AM
I LOVE THIS PLACE AND I'M PLANNING TO GO BACK!! The skillet is really good and the pasta is good to (it has a little spice to it). We went for dinner, and it was really crowded, but our service was fantastic.
For entertainment, they made all the dads stand up and do "I'm a little teapot", they also (depending on server) give you a huge drink if u ask for refills and a "free trip to the bathroom" if you finish it. ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO ASK FOR KETCHUP (EVEN IF YOU DON'T NEED IT!!)

ERJDriver
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
My family ate there on our last trip and really enjoyed it. The ribs were mediocore, but everything else was good. We really enjoyed the bottomless milkshakes included in the DP. Be sure to get a large drink, the regular ones just aren't big enough:)

DawsonAR
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
We have been here three different times. The food was good but two times the services was very, very slow.

betteratmk
02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
:ill:
We did dinner in September. Service was terrible, the food was overrated (had the skillet and the only thing I could eat was the potatos; dh was the only one who tried the chicken/ribs and he ended up sick the rest of the night). We were there over two hours. We may try breakfast, but we won't be going back for lunch or dinner.
We're going back in March only because DS loves it. Their food always makes me sick too. I always avoid any red meat there now. I don't know if it is a spice or if they use MSG.:ack:

jrkcr
02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Other than waiting a looong time to be seated(way past our reservation time), we enjoyed the food and fun! We all ate the skillet and thought it was good, and we splurged and ordered the milkshakes as our dinner drink! And tried every flavor.
:thumbsup:

goofy78
02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Although there are a few bad reviews about WCC, I have heard for the most part that this is definitely a place worth trying out. I for one am looking forward to trying this restaurant.

Mousemates
02-18-2009, 08:50 AM
For WCC our review is based upon a sample size of one....but our one time there was an enjoyable enough experience...the food was okay, the wait time from ordering to eating was only a tad on the slow side, and the waiter was an awful lot of fun. Will probably go back at some point.

afowl1017
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I have only been to WWC once, as well. Last summer before we moved from FL we went to WWC to try this dinning experience. We had made ADR's for lunch and it was pretty slow. They did horse races, harassed a newly wed couple, and did a few other entertainment things. Our waitress was funny...she really didn't involve the kids...because they were smaller 7,2,1 and they were some what stand offish, but my DH and I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the food. We ordered the skillet....loved the chicken and ribs. The kids loved the cornbread! AND DH got one of those huge mason jars when asking for a refill....:D too funny.

Definitely try WWC, it is worth doing it at least once.:thumbsup:

LandFan
02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
We went during lunch last November. The smoked chicken salad was REALLY good as were the baked beans. It was really quiet though. I think you might want dinner if you want more action. We actually weren't too interested in going back... there are other places we find more interesting.

KylesMom
02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
While we've noticed a marked decrease in service the past few visits, we'll still return to WCC for dinner on our upcoming trip. We've always gotten the skillet and have been pleased with the food each time. The major upside for us is that the restaurant is located within our resort and is just too convenient to pass up.

We did note that they are no longer giving out Pony Express certificates or wooden nickels as part of the kids' entertainment. With regard to the antics, some times we've been "served" right, and other times we've had what I'd term "meek" waiters and waitresses. However, all in all, I'd term it a good bang for your buck! :mickey:

CU Tiger
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Within the past 5 years, we have been to the WCC times. We have gone mostly during lunch and dinner. This is a “must do” :number1:for us. The entertainment is the main reason to go. A lot of the experience will depend on the CM you get. We have had great CMs and we have had some OK CMs. The skillet and the shakes are the best items on the menu:thumbsup:. The other items are good, but nothing special. This is not fast food, so do not go there in a hurry or you will hate it. Sit back and enjoy what is going on around you.:mickey:

disneychick62
02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
We ate there in November....a littlt too noisey, but we had a seat in the Library section... The food was really good, i had the meat loaf my brother had the fish and my daughter had the ribs. There was sooo much food we couldnt finish it all...:thumbsup:

Disneymamaof5
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I Have to comment on this....
My husband and I had dinner there one night...we were staying at the WL and didn't want to leave, so we just wanted to eat there. Every time we were in the foyer, it was always so loud and rambunctious in there. Which is fine if you are all having a good time. :)
We had a good time (they got my New Husband up front to sing "I'm a little Teapot")
BUT there was this elderly man (sitting at the table next to us in there with his grandkids, and he didn't want to, or couldn't, or whatever...but they were BRUTAL to him!!! They picked on him the WHOLE rest of the meal!! They were so mean, they made him the laughing stock of the whole restaurant, and they were relentless!! IT was HORRIBLE! I felt so bad for him and his wife and grandkids.
I'm sure for kids its fun to bring the ketchup to the other tables and stuff, but I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!!!

It was done in such poor taste. My husband and I were APPALLED!:mad:

Just a warning.

Brownie54
02-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Interesting thread here. Some love it, some hate it. Only thing that seems clear to me is: "Don't go if you have no sense of humor."

afowl1017
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Interesting thread here. Some love it, some hate it. Only thing that seems clear to me is: "Don't go if you have no sense of humor."

You are absolutely right! :D

cmshelton1979
02-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Having a sense of humor is one thing, but if you try to get a laugh at someone's expense and make them look bad in front of their kids/grandkids/wife/etc.... That is just in poor taste.

I do have a sense of humor and if someone tries to pick on me, you can bet I am going to hold my own and pick back ten times worse. Not everyone has my sense of humor or the ability to let it roll like I do. I did witness someone go too far and I thought that this young kid had no class for acting the way he did.

I do think its funny how if you want ketchup you are going to end up with every bottle in the house and probably more. Good thing I love ketchup!!!! lol:mickey:

I wouldn't go back myself, but that is because I didn't really care for the food at all. I did like the fact that it was unlimited refills on the milk shakes though. I would steer clear of the "FAMOUS WINGS" though, I thought they were wretched, but again...just my opinion.

If you really want to eat some where at the WL go to Artist Point, my favorite place to eat at probably all of DW. :cloud9:

TheVBs
02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone for all the feedback! :mickey: We've looked at our schedule and we're going to keep it as a lunch for now. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the fun will be going on while we visit!

I was sorry to read that some people didn't have a good experience here. I'm hoping those were odd, off days at the restaurant.

I know that I would not have been able to take seeing someone repeatedly harassed for not joining in. A little ribbing is ok, then let it go!

Bummer about the wooden nickles and certificates. :( I didn't know about those but they sound like really fun reminders of the meal.

I'll definitely let everyone know what our experience there is like! :mickey:

jakeybake
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Not a fan of WCC at all. The food is subpar at best and the atmoshphere isn't as fun as folks would have you believe. We would never, ever go back.

Jay

LauraleeH
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm glad you're going for lunch, that's the best time! We always get the "rowdy" waitress because we always go for lunch to get the pulled pork sandwiches, but the other waiters and waitresses seemed more "tame" and we'd actually prefer that. We don't go for the service, just the atmosphere and food.

Brownie54
02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Having a sense of humor is one thing, but if you try to get a laugh at someone's expense and make them look bad in front of their kids/grandkids/wife/etc.... That is just in poor taste.

I do have a sense of humor and if someone tries to pick on me, you can bet I am going to hold my own and pick back ten times worse. Not everyone has my sense of humor or the ability to let it roll like I do. I did witness someone go too far and I thought that this young kid had no class for acting the way he did.

I do think its funny how if you want ketchup you are going to end up with every bottle in the house and probably more. Good thing I love ketchup!!!! lol:mickey:

I wouldn't go back myself, but that is because I didn't really care for the food at all. I did like the fact that it was unlimited refills on the milk shakes though. I would steer clear of the "FAMOUS WINGS" though, I thought they were wretched, but again...just my opinion.

If you really want to eat some where at the WL go to Artist Point, my favorite place to eat at probably all of DW. :cloud9:

Point taken. No excuses for "picking on" someone who clearly doesn't want to play. In fact, that could be an invitation to give someone a fat lip! However, I still stand behind my statement that one should have a sense of humor if dining there.

disneynarula
03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Can you get the skillet on the DDP?

Briansmom
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Can you get the skillet on the DDP?

Yep! :mickey:

EmmMOM2
03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
We had fun. The milkshakes were good. We did dinner. The ketchup thing, having to scream out loud was funny and they threw straws at us when we asked for them which my son found hysterical!!
It was a neat place, we'd go back. But dont expect a QUIET dinner and you'll be ok.. :)

rain
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Did I read correctly that milkshakes were included in DDP?

Soul_Power
03-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Bump

(I want to know about the milkshakes too). :mickey:

disneychick62
07-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Like i said earlier, just ask to be seated in the Library. Excellant food, very quiet, but still fun...LOL

biodtl
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
The dining room is split, MAKE SURE YOU GET A SEAT IN THE FRONT DINING AREA! We were put in the very back, and we never got to see or experience any of the antics.
We were seated in the back and we just asked if we could be in the main dining room near the fun. They accommodated us happily - we only had to wait a few extra minutes. Our server was fun and we all had a great time. The food was good - not write home because it's so amazing, but good.

disneymomma2010
07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
I just thought I would give you a heads up. We love WCC and have gone for the past three years. The first two were dinners and they had alot of action. We had a blast. But last year we went for lunch, can't remember exactly what time of the day, and the place was empty! I think at one point we were the only people there! Our waitress was awesome and gave us alot of attention so that was nice. But we were very dissapointed that our kids didnt get to do the horse stick rides, which we promised they could. I guess they didnt do it because there weren't enough people there.

It is crowded for dinner but we loved that being our first meal on the night we arrived. We checked in, got ready and headed to mk and then got on the boat for the relaxing ride to the WL, had a great dinner, and then got to enjoy the electric water parade on the dock before taking a beautiful night time boat ride back. :cloud9: Definately enjoyed it better than lunch, even though we did have a good time.

madhatterrules
07-18-2012, 09:44 PM
We enjoyed are dinner very much; my husband and daughter made the better choice though in ordering the NY strip steak. Their meals were fantastic, really nice sides and very tender flavorful steak.I had the skillet and it was way too much food and more of a buffet quality; OK but when I saw their meals I was wishing I had ordered the same. Good desserts too; a little loud but if you have kids with you they will enjoy it a lot.

MaterializedHaunt
07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
I have never been there for dinner and according to alot of these posts I am glad I havent! But for lunch I have been there maybe 4-5 times now and 4 out of 5 times have been AWESOME! We always order the skillet of course... who in their right mind would pass that awesomeness! As for entertainment... how about a horse race around the whole restaurant! haha so funny and cute watching the kids AND ADULTS race each other!