PDA

View Full Version : Any tips

NewDVCowner
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello,

I'm in the process of closing on a property at AKV and everything should be finalized in about ten days. I've been lurking on these boards for a few days now and was wondering if anyone had an tips or suggestions on the whole process of making reservations with the points. I have a feeling that once everything is completed I'll be getting this information, but I was hoping to get a jump start on the learning curve.

Thanks much!

DVC Mike
02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Book as far in advance as possible -- as early as 11 months in advance for your home resort of AKV.

FiggyFan
02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
1) Book early. Take advantage of the 11 month reservation window at your home resort.

2) When planning a trip at other (not your home) DVC resort, consider booking your home resort at 11 months and switching at the 7 month window. Doing this ensures that you have somewhere to stay if you can't get in where you want to stay.

3) Don't count on being able to get into popular properties at the 7 month window, especially during busy times or at small resorts. This is particularly true at BCV or BWV during EPCOT Food & Wine or Flower & Garden, or anywhere in early December and for major holidays.

4) Keep track of your points balances and your banking deadline. You can check this on the DVC member web site.

5) Make sure you understand cancellation policies and the holding account. To summarize, points involved in a last-minute cancellation (30 days or less) can only be used for a last minute trip.

DizneyRox
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Member Services 1-800-800-9800

You'll just need your member number and some other personal info. They have always been more than happy to help with whatever questions I have had. I'm sure they can get you any materials you may be missing, and of course help with booking.

NewDVCowner
02-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll keep that all in mind and will give member services a call with my questions.