PDA

View Full Version : A 20K League-like ride coming in the future?

dntccc
02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I read in one of the Disney World guide books that in MK where 20K used to be, they might be making a "The Little Mermaid" themed ride that will be similar to 20K. At least I think this is what it was saying. This was a note to those that missed the 20K ride and did not like that it was replaced with Pooh's Playful Spot. Does anyone know anything about this?

kakn7294
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
There have been many rumors for a replacement attraction for this spot ever since 20,000 Leagues closed. I'll believe it when it happens.

bob6572
02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I think an underwater ride is highly unlikely since the playground is there now and it was so expensive to run before.

JPL
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
A clone of the Little Mermain Ride that is slated for DCA is rumoured to be coming in time for WDW's 40th Anniversary. The most likely location is the site of the old 20K lagoon. However this is a standard dark ride not an underwater experience.

DDuck66
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
A clone of the Little Mermain Ride that is slated for DCA is rumoured to be coming in time for WDW's 40th Anniversary. The most likely location is the site of the old 20K lagoon. However this is a standard dark ride not an underwater experience.
A new Classic Dark ride would be a wonderful addition!!! Anything has to be better than the mindless playground that currently occupies that area.

Stu29573
02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
A new Classic Dark ride would be a wonderful addition!!! Anything has to be better than the mindless playground that currently occupies that area.

I completely agree!!! 20,000 Leagues was one of my favorite rides (along with the HM) and to see the space it was in reduced to it's current use is heartbreaking. I saw an interview with Tony Baxter in which he said the times when Imagineers mess up is when they pull an attraction and don't replace it with something as good or better. This is a classic case!

CaptSmee
02-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Beat me to the punch...hard to make a 20K like ride when the lagoon's been filled in. It is a large parcel of available land and I have read that they are waiting for the next big thing to be announced to go in this location.

crazygoalie39
02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
That would be great! But i really don't see that happening. Like other people have said anything is better than what's there now.

Boost
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I miss 2000 Leagues as well. As a kid, I remember it being always hot and stuffy; it seemed like the air conditioning was never working. I also recall the smell of diesel.

THAT SAID, the subs eerily cruising the lagoon was something that I always looked forward to and although the underwater scenes would be better today with newer technology, I am sure that in the early 70's, guests were probably blown away by the attraction.

It was a Disney original and I miss it, just as I miss If You Had Wings.

I read somewhere (and I don't know if it is true or not) that Disney brass were trying to convince Eisner to pull the plug on 20,000 Leagues, so they selected one of the oldest subs in the fleet that apparently leaked water into the cabin and also reeked of diesel (more so than other subs) and after consideration, it was a matter of time before the lagoon was filled in and the Pooh play area took shape. I won't criticize the Pooh area (my kids have played there), but I wish that they could have experienced the old ride. I guess that if we went to Disneyland and did the Nemo subs, that would be a close approximation to the original.

At any rate, it would be great to see the resurrection of a similar underwater attraction.

goofy78
02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
20k leagues under the sea was a favorite of mine. I was saddened when they got rid of it. I have not ventured over to that area since but would definitely check it out if they put something like the original back. I could see improving the old ride a bit, but I remember being so impressed as a little kid.

Stu29573
02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
I think the Disneyland Nemo ride uses the exact same track, subs and many show elements of the original submarine ride (the Disneyland ride and the WDW ride were almost identical except for the style of the subs and some of the narration- I had the good fortune to ride both) so about the closest you are going to get to 20,000 Leagues today is the Nemo ride at Disneyland.

Imagineer1981
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM

while I disagree about the playgrounds end use, I think its great for kids, I think it should be in toon town, not where it is. BRING BACK DARK RIDES!!!! OH YA!!!

joelkfla
02-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, but it simulates going underwater. Perhaps that is the confusion.

The underwater effects in the Nemo and Friends queue at Epcot were first seen on DVD in the virtual ride-thru of the proposed LM ride.

MistressGracey999
02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
On my first trip to WDW in 1984, we had to skip 20,000 LUTS due to the queue being so horrific. By the time I got back to WDW, it was gone. :(

I have read on several boards that an attraction, possibly a LM attraction, is slated for this spot. I would love for WDW to do something with this area, and possibly move the WTPHAW playground into Toontown?

I worry that the current economy will put several "coming attractions" on hold for the time being. Just heard today that Dis is going to be consolidating some Ops from Anahiem and Orlando to cut some jobs.

grwoolf
02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
If I were a betting man, I would say there will never be another sub ride besides the one running at DL. It is much cheaper to build rides with technology now vs. building rides with extreme hardware. Even the basic subs orinally built for DL or WDW would be very, very expensive to build today. It is much cheaper to build something like Toy Story Mania with the basic ride system and a bunch of technology to add the fun or reality factor. It also make the ride easier to update if needed. We got to ride the nemo subs at DL last summer and it is a great ride, but I don't think we ever see them back at WDW, except maybe as a 'virtual' sub.

AmandaChan
02-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Oh lord if they made a 20k league-type Little Mermaid ride I would **** my pants!! I would give anything to see the ride that's featured on the DVD, for example, be made! I would MAKE AN EXTRA SPECIAL TRIP JUST FOR IT!

AXOAlum
02-21-2009, 02:42 PM
...hard to make a 20K like ride when the lagoon's been filled in.

I know - I was getting all sentimental over the ride after reading this thread, and went out in Google-land looking for photos. The demolition photos that are out there are so very sad. I wish they would have at least retained the an entire sub for display or something.

I would love to see something else in that place. I enjoy the few minutes time that the kids use the playground, but I agree it needs to be moved to Mickey's Toontown Fair.

tiggerbuddy
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I agree 100 % !!!!

completely agree!!! 20,000 Leagues was one of my favorite rides (along with the HM) and to see the space it was in reduced to it's current use is heartbreaking. I saw an interview with Tony Baxter in which he said the times when Imagineers mess up is when they pull an attraction and don't replace it with something as good or better. This is a classic case!

joonyer
03-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Regardless of whether you agree with the decision to do away with 20K (I don;t, but I know it had problems and needed a lot of work), the decision to use that prime piece of Fantasyland real estate for a glorified playground was a sucker punch to the gut of the MK faithful. I mean, how much imagination did it take for Disney to pull that off? What a cop-out. To replace a classic Disney attraction with a playground, and one that is almost devoid of any real imagination (just using a pooh theme does not count) on top of that, was a huge disppointment.

MK, the "most magical place on earth", deserves better than that.

DizneyFreak2002
03-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Not to be the bearer of bad news but, don't expect the Mermaid ride any time soon, if at all... ALL projects have been halted if they haven't already been approved.. And Mermaid was not approved...

RBrooksC
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
The Little Mermaid ride may not be approved now but I wouldn't doubt if it would be there for the 40th anniversary.

The old sub ride, like the Disneyland attraction was a slow loading, old technology attraction. Also, I have read due to the high water table and design of the ride, they had issues with leaking that were becoming too expensive to keep fixing.

When I was there last, I can honestly say that I didn't mind "nothing" being there. I guess I focused on what was in the park and not what was missing. If a new dark ride was installed, I would be thrilled but I am not going to lament if things stay the way they are.

There is plenty to do in WDW. To worry about one ride missing is a waste of energy.

Harriet
03-18-2009, 04:40 AM
I miss 20L it was one of the first rides I went on went my mom took me to DL many years ago. It is a wonderful memory. I was very sad when they closed it at WDW. The current use of that area is so a poor subsitue and they need to put something that fits for that area. The playground belongs in toontown. With all the new technology today I am sure they could put a new 20L ride back here that would not necessay be underwater but stimulate the effect.

MMFreak
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I would love that. That was one of my favorite rides as a kid.

crltkcagle
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed!

brer frog
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Wow, I'm so out of it. I remember reading a few years ago that they were afraid to drain it because of the effect that would have on the utilitors. I remember seeing the lagoon there with the grotto. When did they fill it in and make a playground?