PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Age Limit?

iheartdisney
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I know WDW doesn't have an age limit, per se, for the strollers but I was wondering...

The last time we were at WDW our boys were 3 and 4. We rented a double stroller for the entire trip and it came in handy. When we go in May the boys will be 5 and 6. Do I need to budget for a stroller? Does anyone else out there find they need a stroller for their 5 year old? Even with a break in the middle of the day (which we always plan on) the days can get long. I'm just wondering if I should budget for this expense as well.

King Triton
02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't believe there is an age limit on strollers. If anything, there could be a weight limit, but I don't know if there's a specific number.

I don't see any problem with having a 5/6 year old in a stroller. I'm thinking we may have done that when the kids were about that age. They walked some and rode some. Plus it was nice to have a place to put drinks, cameras, etc.

Giggy
02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
We didn't bother with a stroller on our first visit (when my sister was 4) and she coped fine without and walking it. Though that isn't to say they aren't available.

Comes down to the child I guess, she was normally fairly energetic anyway.

Pooh Fan
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I just did a trip in September with my 4 year old. I rented the stroller at AK due to the size of the park but we didn't use one at HS as it is much smaller and at MK the attractions are so close together that it was always a short walk from one to the next. We only did the front portion of Epcot but I imagine if we had done world showcase that a stroller would have been nice.:mickey:

ILoveLegos
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I've seen adults in double strollers. :(

javamama
02-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't budget for one, I'd get some cheapo umbrella one and bring them with you. Then toss them out when your done with them. My neighbor went last October for the first time w/her 6 year old twins boy and girl. She said besides the rain ponchos she brought from home, it was the best thing she packed from home. Her kids are really active, but they were worn out alot she said.
I have a 2 1/2 yo, and 5 yo and I'm bringing my double, at 5 they're way too heavy to carry when they get tired and cranky. Plus w/the prices of doubles now, get the cheapos.

Tinkerbellaella
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
when my son and daughter were 5 my husband was adamant they were too big for a stroller. I insisted we at least bring it. We were both glad we did. With their little legs, they take 1 1/2-2 steps to our one. To keep up with our pace they walk at a faster pace. When we get back to the room our poor feet are aching. I can imagine theirs are as well. It was a plus to have the stroller for them to take a nap in when they are tuckered and we are not. It also is nice to have something to carry the bag for the day.

hardingella
02-17-2009, 04:12 AM
It all depends on how much walking your planning on doing. Last visit we were at WDW for 17 days, did a lot of park hopping, stayed out all day. We bought 2 strollers from POP for (i think) about $25 each(this worked out cheaper than renting), and our kids were 8 and 6. Sure our 8 yr old did look a bit big but it was a life saver, we could get around easier, and they were a lot happier knowing they didnt have to walk the full lengh of EPCOT when we went from MK to the Boardwalk.
i do remember seeing a lot of big kids in stollers. If it makes life easier get a stroller. And before we went home we just left them in the room.

IamBelle
02-17-2009, 06:32 AM
My little sister used a stroller in the parks until she was nine. I think you will need it, because they get tired after a while walking, and it is a nice place to put your souvenirs!

LarryBoy
02-17-2009, 08:51 AM
We used one on our last trip when our DS was 8, and I'm thinking about getting a double this summer for him and his cousin who will both be 8.

It really does keep them from getting overly tired. (Especially during the hot months.)
It helps you know where they are at all times. (My son is a slow walker, and would easily get lost.)
It helps kids deal with the crowds.

I may be in the minority, but I'm a fan of renting a Disney stroller. It's just so much easier in many ways. How about another list:

You don't have to haul them on and off WDW transportation.
They are easier to push than an umbrella or most other strollers.
You don't have to worry about losing it.

Sorry I was just in a list kind of mood today. Look at this as my tribute to TheRustyScupper. :D

Disney Doll
02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I may be in the minority, but I'm a fan of renting a Disney stroller. It's just so much easier in many ways. How about another list:

You don't have to haul them on and off WDW transportation.
They are easier to push than an umbrella or most other strollers.
You don't have to worry about losing it.

I have to disagree. Maybe it is a bit of a hassle to have a stroller on the buses, but it sure is nice to have the stroller while you wait for the bus and while you are walking to the bus stop. Also, WDW strollers are definitely not easier to push than my umbrella. In fact the WDW strollers are rather large and bulky which makes it difficult to get through tight spots like restaurants and shops. I never worry about losing my stroller at WDW. I know you do leave them unattended sometimes, but we have never had any problems and of all the families I know that go to Disney I have never heard of someone losing their stroller. That's just not an issue in my mind.

To the OP, I think it really depends on the kid. 5 & 6 isn't too old, but I do know 5 & 6 yr olds who do fine without.

yjgirl32
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I am going down in Sept and plan on taking a stroller. My DS5- (but will be 6) is on the taller side and he gets quite heavy. The last time we were there we rented the stroller- but he would always fall asleep on the bus back to the hotel and to walk all that distant carring him would be way too much. I don't feel they are too old to be in strollers.

DisneyBabies
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
We are taking DS4 in 10 days. He NEVER uses a stroller at home, but I know he'll need it @ WDW since we will be doing a lot more walking than normal. But there is no way I am paying almost $100 to rent a stroller for a week (8 days)! We found him a stroller online for less than $40 (and that included tax and shipping!).

LarryBoy
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I think the WDW strollers are easier for older/bigger kids. I know everyone doesn't agree, but I think the big kids will be more comfortable in a Disney stroller. Also big kids are more than capable of walking to and from the Disney transportation. Now younger children are a whole different story. Especially infants and small toddlers. But once my son reached 4 or 5 he was too big for an umbrella stroller. He could, and sometimes would, stick his feet down on the ground, which can be dangerous. But as always to each his own, there are pros and cons to both. The biggest con to the Disney strollers, in my opinion, is the price.

Stu29573
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
When we went when my DD was five, we didn't use a stroller, although we considered it due to our commando style park attack. She was pretty insistant that she was a "big kid," so we decided to see how it went. Actually, it was nice not having to mess with it and whenever she got tired, she just rode on my shoulders. Granted, this might not be a solution for everone, but it made for nice memories. :mickey:

LarryBoy
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Actually, it was nice not having to mess with it and whenever she got tired, she just rode on my shoulders. Granted, this might not be a solution for everone, but it made for nice memories. :mickey:

That reminds me of the time the my son sat on my shoulders for the entire SpectroMagic parade. When it was over both his legs had gone to sleep and he couldn't walk. He was so worried that something was wrong with his legs. I was glad that we had a stroller to put him in then. :D

Stu29573
02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
That reminds me of the time the my son sat on my shoulders for the entire SpectroMagic parade. When it was over both his legs had gone to sleep and he couldn't walk. He was so worried that something was wrong with his legs. I was glad that we had a stroller to put him in then. :D

Ha! Aren't kids fun? :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I saw a grown women taking a nap in one at one of the parades....and I saw two teenage girls taking turns pushing each other around in one...I think they're pretty sturdy...don't know if there's an age limit but hopefully there is a weight limit...if you need one for your kids, don't seat it just get it:mickey:

DawsonAR
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
On our next trip, DS will be 7. We have always used a stroller. I tried to talk him out of it this time, but he feels he will need it. He might be right. We will get one if it looks like he is going to get too tired.

KylesMom
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
The last trip we made with our stroller was when DS was 5. DH and I were sure glad we had it, especially towards the end of the day at the parks/resorts and on our trips to DTD. At that time there was no way DS could have fully done without it, even though Disney was the only place we utilized the stroller at this age.

By age 6, our Graco stroller was toast & we decided DS could hoof it on his own. However, on some of the waits for the boats, monorails & such at the end of the night, our backs wished we still had that stroller! :blush:

When all is said and done, there's no way I'd pay Disney's rates to rent. As suggested above, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an inexpensive single stroller to bring, and have the kids take turns when they needed it.

tinklover
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
when we went in June of last year our DDs were 5 and almost 4 . we thought about getting them a stroller but with the price increase we figured we would wing it. they did great. we would go early in teh day and then leave right around lunch time and head back to the resort for naps and or pool time. we would then shower and freshen up have dinner at teh resort and head out to what ever park had EMH that night. with doing the breakin teh middle of teh day they lasted til the closing of EMH every night and never once had a melt down like the year prior when we had gotten a stroller. i say try it with out i think they should be old enough now to make it with a rest in between. but you would know your kids better then anyone. Go with what you feel is right.

TinkerMel
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
My kids are 6 and 5. I will be getting a double stroller for them when we go in a few months. We went when they were 4 and 3. We took our single stroller and rented a single stroller. I thought it was great to be able to split up when we wanted to, and keep them separated when they were tired and cranky. Then, we would stuff them both in our stroller to make it out of the park and back to our room because they were too tired to walk. I was able to keep the ponchos and such in the bottom of our stroller. The thing is, they both wanted to be in the DW stroller because it was roomier & it did seem easier to push to us. The only reason we are not doing this again is because they are just too big for our stroller & way to big for an umbrella stroller. I can't imagine them going without a stroller though. It would take so long to get from one place to the next.

iheartdisney
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! After mulling it over and weighing all the opinions I decided to start saving for stroller rental based on the comments about safety (I can't imagine my 6 yr. old would fit in an inexpensive umbrella stroller) and the fact that a few of you agree with me that the WDW strollers are easier to push (but Disney Doll - I'd love to know the brand of YOUR stroller!). Then I thought, sure they've probably gone up in price but how bad could it be? OMgoodness! $31 for a double? When did they have this jump in price? Does anyone know?

P.S. Thanks, Larryboy for your ode to TheRustyScupper! I love his posts!

TheVBs
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
It would have to be within the last couple of years. It most definitely wasn't that high for a dbl when we were there Sept. 07! I want to say it was $18? I could be misremembering.

princessgirls
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Amen to the strollers!!

Granny Jill A
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Oh yeah.....

I had rented a stroller for my grandkids, and I parked it behind me while I watched the parade in MK. When I turned around to claim my stroller, I was surprised to discover a very large teenage male sitting in it. So I guess there's no limit - ha ha....

KylesMom
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
OMgoodness! $31 for a double? When did they have this jump in price? Does anyone know?
Yep, last April. You can find the very loooong thread discussing it here:

Stroller Rental Increase April 2008 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=130219&highlight=Stroller+Increase)

Many of us pay less for our intermediate rental cars than Disney's charging to rent strollers these days!

irish1967
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
To save a little $$$ you could rent a single stroller and let the children take turns riding it.

We were pretty much done with strollers after my youngest turned 6 (and on that trip, 4 children ages 8, 6, 5, & 4 took turns on a single stroller.)

But to be perfectly honest, we never push it and always take a mid-afternoon break and most nights are back at the resort, ready to go to bed before Wishes even starts.

Another suggestions I have seen is to take family walks regularly ahead of time to "train" for the trip. Makes quite a bit of sense, actually.

Have a great trip!

Iluvpooh
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
HOLY COW!! $31!! I am really glad I bought nice umbrella strollers from toys r us before we left!!

Mousemates
02-18-2009, 08:57 AM
To save a little $$$ you could rent a single stroller and let the children take turns riding it.

But be prepared to hear "when is it my turn to ride" a thousand times before the day is done.:mickey:

cinderella crazy
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
DH keeps insisting that we won't need a stroller for our son (he's 5). He says "I'll carry him if he gets tired." We'll see how long that lasts. ;)

jusandnew
02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I have a 11 year old who is 70 lbs and we are going to get a double stroller for him. He has aspergers syndrome and this will help with the over stimulation and the meltdowns.

Last year when we did not get one he had meltdowns with the crowds and moving all the time.
I rather pay the $$ for him to be able to enjoy everything.

TinkerMel
02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know if it's $31 per day for each day that you rent a double stroller, or does the price decrease with each additional day that you rent? It seems like last trip, we paid for the rental for the entire stay on our first day in the parks, and we saved some money by doing that, but I may not be remembering this correctly.

MNNHFLTX
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM

That's what I would suggest too. Plus you will find it a lot easier to navigate just one stroller rather than two or a double.

KylesMom
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know if it's $31 per day for each day that you rent a double stroller, or does the price decrease with each additional day that you rent? It seems like last trip, we paid for the rental for the entire stay on our first day in the parks, and we saved some money by doing that, but I may not be remembering this correctly.

Paraphrasing below from previous thread which originally announced the increase:
A single will rent for $15/day ($13/day with multi-day rental discount), up from $10 ($8 with discount).

A double will rent for $31/day ($27 with multi-day rental discount), up from $18 ($16 with discount).

maxsl1
02-18-2009, 12:51 PM
When our son was 11 months we used our own stroller and while it was hectic getting on and off the bus it was good for him always having a place to sit, etc.

In more recent years we used a double stroller for him when he was just barely 7 and just barely 9. He's a big boy for his age and he fit in the double one just fine.

For us it was really just an issue of organization and making the most of our time. My mother and I have mobility issues and drive the ECWs in the parks and my husband is a fast, strong walker, so with him pushing our son in a stroller we probably covered twice as much as we would have otherwise.

At one point we had tried having our son walk alongside while my husband pushed my wheelchair but it was so hectic, I was worried about him getting separated from us or getting caught by the wheelchair. At just barely 9 he was right on the cusp of still not being too embarrassed to be seen in the stroller and we purposely referred to it as a "kid-pusher" to get around that. :)

This of course was before the increase to $31. I don't think we would have done it for that price.

TikiGoddess
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
We have two girls, ages 6.5 and 4.75, who will be sharing a stroller in August. Back when the girls were smaller I bought a MacLaren Triumph stroller, which has a weight limit of 50 lbs. The thing is so easy to carry, weighs less that 10 lbs, and steers really well.

Kathy

javamama
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
We have two girls, ages 6.5 and 4.75, who will be sharing a stroller in August. Back when the girls were smaller I bought a MacLaren Triumph stroller, which has a weight limit of 50 lbs. The thing is so easy to carry, weighs less that 10 lbs, and steers really well.

Kathy

I have the Twin Techno MacLaren it was the best "baby" purchase I made for kids. Mine will be 5.5 and 2 3/4 when we go in April, and we can still use it, it pushes great, plus it's got a 80lbs weight limit--we just make it this year;) A great investment for two young kids/toddlers, or twins.

iluvdumbo
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
my cousin tess and i were 8 years 5 months and 7 years almost 1 month (in that order) and our moms rented us one when we went last together, but i never knew the prices of them back then in 2000. but from the looks of this...WOW!:jaw:. it probably is cheaper just to get one from like target. we only got one then because we hit all 4 parks in 4 straight days! a lot of walking! and im not a very skinny teen and i wasnt a very skinny 7 yo! so they must not have a weight limit :dumbo:

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
The first time we went to Disney, DD was 6 1/2 and we rented a stroller. She was well past needing one at home, but boy did we use it at Disney! Not only did she get wiped, but we loved the extra storage space.

We rented one from Disney (granted, they were cheaper then), but I don't think I would have wanted to buy one just for Disney, seems like a waste to buy something just to throw it out when you're done...but...my DD is 10 1/2 now, so this isn't an issue for me anymore ;)

Mickey91
02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I would get one while you are there. They have nice umbrella style strollers in the shops at the resorts. A much better deal than paying to rent one. It would pay for itself by the second day with the cost of renting. Plus you would have it as a souvenir for later.:mickey:

bouncer
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
DS is 6 now and we will be renting. I am struggling with not having a stroller for enter/exiting the parks. But I think that we might be OK by just renting in the park. I will be using the $500 gift card that we received as a pin code a couple weeks ago. We've always liked having a place to keep our bag and the security of knowing where DS is at all times.

missymouseworld
02-20-2009, 06:55 AM
After reading the posts on strollers, I went into the garage to get out our umbrella stroller that went with us last trip, and my DS6 saw it and I was pushing him around the house. He looked really big in it, but I asked if he would need it for our next trip, and he said he wants to use it. I think it will come in handy if he gets tired of walking. My DH says we don't need it. I think I am taking it just in case and leaving it in the hotel room if he doesn't do well on the first day. Better to be safe than sorry. I can't see spending that much money on a stroller rental in the park, that money can be spent on something much better that that.

TheVBs
02-20-2009, 07:20 AM
I think I'll dig ours out of the garage too and see what kind of condition it's in. We're going in May and we were planning on just letting both girls, 4 & 8, walk (we take lots of breaks). But while I'm sure our DD4 has the stamina, the poor thing always gets blisters. We have a hard time finding shoes for her that will stay comfortable in a situation like that. We were going to try some Crocs this year. I've also recently heard of blister tape. Has anyone tried that? Anyway, we're driving, so if there's room for the umbrella stroller, why not throw it in?

Kenny1113
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
FYI there is a weight limit on the strollers. On one of our trips while renting a stroller (cheaper then, won't do it now), a very loud CM kept telling a man that his daughter (approx 8/9) exceeded the weight limit. I don't know if any one else in the park bothered him about it.

Also, the newer strollers appear to be smaller.

Goes4FastPass
02-20-2009, 10:20 AM
If every family that planned to take elementary school age kids to the MK rented a stroller to carry kids and souveniers wouldn't that make traffic in the MK worse?

I thought conventional wisdom was tired kids are a cue to head back to PopPolyWalkBeachStarsdomLodge for some rest.

I'm sure I don't want to be the guy pushing the family truckster through a sunup to midnight stay at the MK.

Stu29573
02-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm sure I don't want to be the guy pushing the family truckster through a sunup to midnight stay at the MK.

Ha! :D
Like I said in an earlier post, my (then) five year old was mortified that we even considered a stroller for her. We did fine. :thumbsup:

Ian
02-20-2009, 10:54 AM
We haven't gotten a stroller for DD6 on our last two or three trips, but DS2 still uses one.

I have to say, though, that I'm not a big fan of renting them. First off, it's absurdly expensive. Paying $12 a day to rent a stroller when you can just buy an umbrella stroller for like $25 is ridiculous.

Not to mention that there's nothing worse than when your child decides to nap in your stroller at the exact time you have to return it and head to another park. If you have your own you just just wheel him/her right on the monorail or out to the car or bus or whatever. It's much easier.

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Upon further research, it appears that Disney World is transitioning in new strollers. Reportedly, they are smaller than the old ones, with a weight limit of 35 lbs for a single and 65 lbs for a double, which will make using them for older children more unlikely. Not sure if they're at all the parks yet. I've emailed Guest Services at Disney to confirm this and will post back when I hear something.

Disney Doll
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=iheartdisney;1832850] (but Disney Doll - I'd love to know the brand of YOUR stroller!).
/QUOTE]

I have Chicco C5. It's more than your cheapo umbrella. Paid about $79.00 through Toys R Us. They also have Chicco C5 doubles for about $175.00. It's not cheap, but is less costly than the McLaren which is about $150.00 for a single. However, for older kids I would recommend the McLaren because it holds up to 55lbs. They may not be as roomy as the WDW behemoths, but I prefer the compact size. Plus, older kids are not going to be riding in a stroller 24/7 so they'll have plenty of opportunities to stretch their legs while they walk. :)

Disney1977
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Rent or bring a stroller.

Our middle child is 6 1/2 and by the third day of our trip we were renting a strollers just for him.

As other have said, Disney is a lot of walking for adults, let alone kids.

Have fun on your trip.

scootch713
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I am one of those bad people who rent for their older children. I take the kids alone though and for me need it for security is so worth it. Noone has ever said anything to me. I used it this past year when my girls were 6 and just turned 9. The last day MK did have new ones and they are a bit smaller. I will still rent one this year for my then 7 year old. My older daughter will be too big. More than just walking, it keeps them out of the sun and safe. Like I said, I take them alone and we had a small accident this past summer with a group of 10 relatives... my 6 year old got lost.... truly a scary few moments. To me, they are have been worth every penny over the years.

jrpersinger
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
We always take a stoller with us. Our kiddos were 6 and 8 on our last trip. My 6 year old used it quite a bit. Our 8 year old rode in it once. She twisted her ankle playing in a fountain and I have to say, I was grateful to have it that day! I have to say, I prefer having 2 strollers instead of 1 like this past trip. Yes I know my oldest is to old, but for me is was more of a saftey issue. I was able to keep a constant eye on them and not have to worry about them being ran over by people not looking down for the smaller crowd.

On this trip, we plan to take it again. We take a ton of **** into the parks with us... camera bag, backpack with extra clothes, drinks and snacks in. Then we have Pal Mickey with us most of the time. So if anything, our stroller works great as a carry all!

jrpersinger
02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
We always take a stoller with us. Our kiddos were 6 and 8 on our last trip. My 6 year old used it quite a bit. Our 8 year old rode in it once. She twisted her ankle playing in a fountain and I have to say, I was grateful to have it that day! I have to say, I prefer having 2 strollers instead of 1 like this past trip. Yes I know my oldest is to old, but for me is was more of a saftey issue. I was able to keep a constant eye on them and not have to worry about them being ran over by people not looking down for the smaller crowd.

On this trip, we plan to take it again. We take a ton of **** into the parks with us... camera bag, backpack with extra clothes, drinks and snacks in. Then we have Pal Mickey with us most of the time. So if anything, our stroller works great as a carry all!

Just a FYI. That beeped out word is not a curse word. It starts with a c and ends with a p. LOL

princess8813
02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
1st trip our DS was 4 DD3. The energy level of children is absolutely phenomenal - give them credit for that. Our kids were always very active playing and running, and we had our own "training regimen" such as long walks/hikes, walking at different paces to try to simulate the crowds, etc. We stayed off-property, and explained that if it was too much to stay in the parks, we would have to go back to Aunt Barbie's. Needless to say kids adore Aunt Barbie but we opened and closed the parks! We told kids mommy & daddy couldn't carry them and they never even asked to be carried, they had more energy than us. We did however, do parks every other day, with off days as waterpark or swim days, and never had any meltdowns. Sometimes if we just lay down the ground rules its amazing how responsive they are to them.

Mousefan29
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't go without one. My oldest is 6, and it's still nice to have a place for him to rest when he's tired. Otherwise, we'll have to go at his pace.

When we stayed at the Poly we went to MK twice without a stroller for him, and he did fine, but the room was only a short monorail ride away.

Also, we find the strollers helpful at the airport. If my 6 year-old wants to, he can put his backpack in his stroller and push it, but at least we have a way to keep track of him!

There's no discussion in our family --a stroller is required for our 2 year old. :mickey:

DawsonAR
02-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Upon further research, it appears that Disney World is transitioning in new strollers. Reportedly, they are smaller than the old ones, with a weight limit of 35 lbs for a single and 65 lbs for a double, which will make using them for older children more unlikely. Not sure if they're at all the parks yet. I've emailed Guest Services at Disney to confirm this and will post back when I hear something.

I'm interested to hear more about this. This could be a deciding factor for us. My son is really close to not needing one, but thinks he still does. If he is over the weight limit, he will have to understand and walk.

kadesha
02-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I've saw the new strollers at MK. They seem to be just like the old ones, just a different color.

scootch713
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I've saw the new strollers at MK. They seem to be just like the old ones, just a different color.

there is a noticable, although small difference in the inside room at least with the double strollers.... we were there and used the others for 6 days and then they came out with the brand news ones for our last day.

biodtl
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
DD was 5 on our last trip and we bought a stroller because I didn't want to pay the rental fee. The one we got (silver cross micro) was an umbrella type, but it was larger and sturdier and had storage.

We LOVED it, because it folded up relatively small, with a shoulder strap, which made it easy to take on transportation, but it was sturdy enough to hang bags on it and use the storage.

Our next trip probably won't be for a while, and I am already debating stroller. DD will be older, but I want her to be able to keep up (we are a commando family), and I like having storage. So we'll probably go with a stroller, but renting/bringing will depend on her age/size.

wire0monkey
02-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Another suggestions I have seen is to take family walks regularly ahead of time to "train" for the trip. Makes quite a bit of sense, actually.

We do this with our kids (currently age 6 and 4). We walk with them 1-3 times a week, until they can walk for 30 minutes or more consistently without stopping. We start about 6 weeks before the trip. My kids are generally in good shape, but I want to make sure that they're ready to walk for longer periods of time. [I based this off my training schedule for 5ks.]

The other thing that we do is take plenty of ibuprofen with us. All that walking can make for sore feet and calves. Ibuprofen (aka Motrin or Advil) is anti-inflammatory and speeds recovery. If the kids say their feet hurt, I give them a dose of childrens' Motrin and then give them another before bed. I've use naproxen or ibuprofen for the adults. [Again, this isn't original to me. I run and many runners use ibuprofen or naproxen to speed recovery from hard runs.]

MNNHFLTX
02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Still no word back from Disney on the new strollers or any restrictions. I'll let you all know as they send me some info.

Snow's Mom
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Take your own stroller.

My daughter was seven when we went. Epcot was too much for her. She was too big for a stroller, so we rented a wheelchair. We just parked it with the strollers and walked onto attractions.

It was nice for her to have a place to sit, too. We all borrowed it at one point or another while waiting for other members of our party to shop, etc. We ended up renting one only twice during our 6 days in the parks, so if you don't want to bring one, you could play it by ear. You might not need one every day.

Another poster pointed out that it would be nice to have a place to sit at the bus stop. Amen to that!

disneymama09
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
If you feel they need one, I say go for it , I have seen much older kids in those strollers!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Finally got a reply from Disney on the strollers:

"Single strollers are recommended for 50 pounds or less.
Double strollers are recommended for 100 pounds or less.

The inside dimensions of the single strollers are 13x25 inches and the
double strollers are 23 x 25 inches."

Hope this is helpful to anyone who is trying to figure out if they should rent a stroller at the parks.

DawsonAR
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Glad my son is only 48 lbs. I guess we will get one more trip with the strollers!

Imagineer1981
03-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Ha Ha, whats funny is your aren't joking!!!

DisneyBabies
03-12-2009, 05:00 PM
We just got back and I am so glad we had our DS's stroller! He was constantly asking to be carried if we didn't have the stroller for whatever reason. He's a very active little boy, but that was too much walking even for him. We didn't do any training for the walking, and we all ended up with sore feet a couple of times, but we usually take a walk around our neighborhood each day and DS runs around in circles in the playground at school each day ;), so I figure that was enough prep for us.

Another nice thing about the stroller was that we had a place to leave our bags when DS wasn't sitting in it :blush:.