PDA

View Full Version : Random park observation of the day

Mendelson
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Epcot is the only one of the parks that is directly southerly-oriented. MK is exactly northerly-oriented and AK seems to be just slightly northwesterly-pointed.

The Studios is the oddball, "pointing" southwest.

I don't know why this is, nor am I looking for any answers, just having fun with Google satellite.

(What I mean is, when you walk in the front gate at Epcot and head straight to the "back" of the park, let's say the USA pavillion, you are walking due south. At MK, a line from entrance to the castle and beyond is due north, etc.)

Mousemates
02-15-2009, 04:02 PM
you are correct...your observation is quite random.:mickey:

(by the way, I too enjoy goofing around with google earth).

AmandaChan
02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
In response to the last poster, we were looking on google earth yesterday. Looking at EPCOT we were like 'wow, we never noticed the pattern of those white tarp things at the entrance.' or 'wow we never noticed the epcot symbol thing after the fountain (or before?) but it was really neat to see it from an overview.

BMan62
02-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Just for fun, I looked up Epcot on Google maps and it is a very old photo. It is holiday season - the poinsettias are all over, the tree is up at the entrance to Future World, etc. Also, the Epcot w/Mickey hand and wand is still up!!!

When are they going to update their satellite photos?

TheRustyScupper
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
. . . The Studios is the oddball, "pointing" southwest . . .

1) Feng Shui?
2) Or, they couldn't move the main entrance road.

indytraveler
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Now that you mentioned that... I too like to look at the google maps. except I like to look at all the places around Disney that are off limits to the guests.

Mendelson
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
1) Feng Shui?

Ya know, I don't know how much stock to put in that, and I realize you were probably saying it tongue-in-cheek, but DS is the park that we all say feels cramped and has bad people-flow, right?

Who knows...maybe it's because it's the one that is so far off axis.

brad192
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I know the answer for DHS - it was explained to me on my last trip, after I complained about being able to find my way around the other three parks blindfolded, but always got turned around at DHS, even with a map.

DHS was originally designed not only to be a theme park, but a working studio as well, and was for a period of time. The choppy, cramped layout was intentional, as that allowed for major chunks of the park to be quickly & effectively blocked off & isolated from guests, allowing film crews to shoot without the distraction & chaos of people all around. Makes sense I guess, but it's still a big pain.